Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Harry Potter Limited Edition Collection: Years 1-5

Blu-ray Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,807 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted December 30 2007 - 08:23 PM

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,260 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 31 2007 - 01:31 AM

Awesome review, I'll probably wait for the whole series to be done before buying a box set tho =)
Interesting, I agree with the scores on the other films, and I havent seen this in HD yet, but I thought OOTP was the weakest of the films so far... I guess my biggest complaint was that so much of the book was cut out and that it seemed rushed and strung together.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,327 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 31 2007 - 01:46 AM

What a herculean task reviewing this set, Cameron! Cheers to you on a job well done!

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 03:18 AM

I'm not a Harry Potter fan but wanted to give you props for the mega-review. Posted Image

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,185 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 31 2007 - 03:36 AM

I agree completely with your assessment of the films so far, with POA being the best and GOF the worst. Excellent work on the review.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,807 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted December 31 2007 - 05:28 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read it all!

You'd think I'd be Potter-ed out by now but I'm actually thinking of reading the books again. Posted Image

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   James Ryfun

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 11:09 AM

I just got my set today and I can't wait to dig into it. I agree with you about the bookmarks - they're one of the highlights of the packaging. My only nit-pik about the whole affair is that it can be a bit cumbersome getting out an individual disc and putting everything else back in. So for now, I have all the discs out of the box (with the exception of the interactive game disc, I doubt I'll ever use that) and I'll just return them all when I'm done watching all the films. But overall, it's a cool set to have displayed with my collection.

Let's just hope they do indeed release the films yet to come in similar style boxes, so we can keep them all together. Though I doubt they will. Posted Image

And I also agree with you about Goblet of Fire being the weakest film in the series. Though I also have to confess, I think the 1st film is still my favorite.

Overall, very nice job on the review of this massive package. I know it couldn't have been easy. My thanks to you on a job very well done.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,807 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted December 31 2007 - 11:20 AM

Thanks James!

Good point about accessing each of the items - it is probably too much like a suitcase in that respect. Fortunately we don't need to worry about where to put the dirty laundry. Posted Image

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Todd smith

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 04:46 PM

I watched 3, 4 and 5 over the last week and agree about the PQ, but I think 5 deserves better props for audio quality. The LFE in particular is noticably more agressive than any of the previous films, and the soundtrack in general just has a higher quality feel to it. There are so many great LFE/bass/sound moments in this one it is fantastic. My Buttkickers bottomed out on 2 different occasions during this one which did not happen in the other 2. Nice job on the reviews.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,528 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 03:33 PM

Wow! Great job on the reviews! I just picked up the first 4 films with Amazon's current B1G1 sale so I'm really looking forward to digging into them. But I'm a little confused about how the boxset fits together on the inside, is there places/room to set the final two films when they are eventually released?
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,807 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 01 2008 - 03:46 PM

Thanks Chris. All the items stack on top of each other. The box of bookmarks go on the very bottom into an inset compartment, then the rest stack on top of that. If the final two films are also released in similar digipack cases they should fit into the box perfectly. Two standard HDM cases are just a tad too thick for the box to close without forcing it. I'm hoping the extra space in the box is a sign Warner will either have releases in the "Limited Edition" style cases or have some kind of offer to order them.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   James Ryfun

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 04:09 PM

I'm only up to the 2nd film (Chamber of Secrets) but so far I'm extremely happy with the quality of these discs. What struck me right away is the natural film grain of the first 2 films Warner didn't attempt to "DNR" away. It's all intact, which should make film purists happy. I love these movies (though I agree the books are even better) and I'm just happy to have them in HD. I tend to rewatch films I love a lot, and these will probably be in my rotation often.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users