Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer connections

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Jon Bye

Jon Bye

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted December 30 2007 - 01:24 PM

I just received an Onkyo 605 and Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer. The receiver has just a sub pre out(RCA) and the sub has SPeaker wire terminals as well as Left and right RCA jacks.

I am not sure how I should make the connections? I am thinking that I should go from the Receiver sub preout to the Right RCA jack on the Sub but I am no certain

Any help appreciated

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 30 2007 - 01:31 PM

You can try that or you can get a y-adapter to connect the single sub output to the left and right input on the Klipsch.

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,572 posts

Posted December 30 2007 - 02:16 PM

The y adapter isn't really necessary. Often one of the inputs is also labeled Mono. If not, just hook it to either input.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   zpdrummer

zpdrummer

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 30 2007 - 04:33 PM

well ive been looking at pictures trying to figure something out. i used this one: gspr.com/onkyo/images/txsr605_rear_300.jpg
now if i understand everything on the bottom right like "zone 2" or "speaker 2" stuff is all sub connections? i think the sub pre out liek you said would probably be the best choice now if your placing the sub quite a distance from the reciever maybe regular speaker wires wold be easier(and cheaper for sure) don't go for the rca, even if they are optimized, they dont carry sound too well especially at those lower frequencies
good luck

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 31 2007 - 02:02 AM

Quote:
...now if i understand everything on the bottom right like "zone 2" or "speaker 2" stuff is all sub connections?

No, they have nothing to do with subs. Lots of receivers are set up to power two sets of speakers in two different rooms, or one set of speakers dedicated to music and another to movies in the same room, or act as pre-amps for another amplifier or receiver in a second room. The zone 2 and speaker 2 connections are there for those options.

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne

Screenwriter

• 2,406 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 03:04 AM

You can run the regular left front and right front speaker lines to the sub and then daisy chain speaker lines from the sub to the left front and right front speakers.

A single RCA (line level) cable from the receiver sub output to either of the sub's line level inputs is all you need if you prefer to connect the sub this way. Except in really large rooms, you should be able to put the sub just a few feet away from the receiver so as not to need a long RCA cable.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Jon Bye

Jon Bye

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted January 01 2008 - 02:18 AM

thanks for all the help

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   zpdrummer

zpdrummer

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
No, they have nothing to do with subs. Lots of receivers are set up to power two sets of speakers in two different rooms, or one set of speakers dedicated to music and another to movies in the same room, or act as pre-amps for another amplifier or receiver in a second room. The zone 2 and speaker 2 connections are there for those options.

Regards,

Joe

mmmmmm thanks, i just thought since it was next to the "class 2" sub speaker output, they might be the same thing, just different connections so its compatible with more subs
Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow