What's new

Subwoofer connections (1 Viewer)

Jon Bye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Bye
I just received an Onkyo 605 and Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer. The receiver has just a sub pre out(RCA) and the sub has SPeaker wire terminals as well as Left and right RCA jacks.

I am not sure how I should make the connections? I am thinking that I should go from the Receiver sub preout to the Right RCA jack on the Sub but I am no certain

Any help appreciated

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You can try that or you can get a y-adapter to connect the single sub output to the left and right input on the Klipsch.

Regards,

Joe

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The y adapter isn't really necessary. Often one of the inputs is also labeled Mono. If not, just hook it to either input.

zpdrummer

Agent
Real Name
Andrew
well ive been looking at pictures trying to figure something out. i used this one: gspr.com/onkyo/images/txsr605_rear_300.jpg
now if i understand everything on the bottom right like "zone 2" or "speaker 2" stuff is all sub connections? i think the sub pre out liek you said would probably be the best choice now if your placing the sub quite a distance from the reciever maybe regular speaker wires wold be easier(and cheaper for sure) don't go for the rca, even if they are optimized, they dont carry sound too well especially at those lower frequencies
good luck

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

No, they have nothing to do with subs. Lots of receivers are set up to power two sets of speakers in two different rooms, or one set of speakers dedicated to music and another to movies in the same room, or act as pre-amps for another amplifier or receiver in a second room. The zone 2 and speaker 2 connections are there for those options.

Regards,

Joe

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You can run the regular left front and right front speaker lines to the sub and then daisy chain speaker lines from the sub to the left front and right front speakers.

A single RCA (line level) cable from the receiver sub output to either of the sub's line level inputs is all you need if you prefer to connect the sub this way. Except in really large rooms, you should be able to put the sub just a few feet away from the receiver so as not to need a long RCA cable.

zpdrummer

Agent
Real Name
Andrew

mmmmmm thanks, i just thought since it was next to the "class 2" sub speaker output, they might be the same thing, just different connections so its compatible with more subs
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks