Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pink Floyd reissues

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted December 29 2007 - 08:15 AM

This has been hard to verify. but there is news out that along with the giant OH BY THE WAY set, ALL of the PF albums will come out individually this Feb.. I would ask if they are remastered-after all - in the 14 years since the last remastering, technology has grown leaps and bounds-and buying a simple reissue would be pointless...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#2 of 26 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted December 29 2007 - 12:57 PM

I'll be interested if they're SACD, otherwise, not so much.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted December 29 2007 - 11:57 PM

Piper at the Gates of Dawn was just reissued in a two and three disc set which included both the mono and stereo version and, in the three disc version, a collection of rarities and B sides. I was hoping we would see more Pink Floyd released in this fashion. The Piper release sounded great. I agree with everyone that is asking for SACD releases, but that seems like a pipe dream right now.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,769 posts

Posted December 30 2007 - 12:19 AM

Based on previous experience of Floyd keeping their promises about release dates, I guess we can expect these to be actually released about 2012. And I bet they'll still be in plain old stereo. Don't get me wrong - I think the stereo releases should be maintained, but given the effort Genesis, Elton John et al have put into 5.1 releases in SACD and/or DVD-A, couldn't other artists of the same period make a similar effort? Especially since in concert Floyd pioneered the use of surround sound.

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   SpikeHK

SpikeHK

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 30 2007 - 02:15 PM

Reviews I've read of the boxed set said that none of the discs in there were new remasters, just the existing versions. So I don't think it would be logical that they would then issue newly remastered discs so soon after the boxed set. Probably just a catalog refresh with the cardboard sleeves. Would be nice though.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 03:11 AM

I have the 'Shine On' boxset and this is just a repackaging of that set . Very shoddy compared to , say , The Doors and Talking Heads type boxsets that would start us all buying em over again . ~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   Joe Cortez

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 07:41 AM

In the 4th edition of the Mind Over Matter book, a few words and images are shared about the Wish You Were Here SACD. No release date was given but atleast there's been some movement on that front.

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 08:04 AM

I have the new Piper LE and it is fantastic. Very well done.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:54 AM

Joe, Can you share what those few words were?
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Joe Cortez

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 03:38 PM

In the book, Thorgerson mentions that the SACD is being prepared for a February '08 release (seems a little unlikely at this point). At the time the book was published, (mid to late 07) James Guthrie was putting the final touches on the mix and awaiting approval by the band. There's only about four paragraphs of info devoted to the release with a few new images created for the release. Much isn't revealed other than the fact that it should sound fantastic.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark C.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 05:10 PM

I think we're all, unfortunately, in for a long wait for an SACD of Wish You Were Here. Considering the length of time that has passed, there must be a bean-counter somewhere asking whether such a release will even make back the money spent for the work to create it.

#12 of 26 ONLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,990 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 17 2008 - 08:16 AM

Then again, if the work's already done and paid for, they may not have much to lose by releasing it. . .
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 08:18 AM

Pink Floyd news :: Brain Damage - "Mind Over Matter 4" - Storm Thorgerson & Peter Curzon (2007)

"So, if you want to see Storm's designs for the Wish You Were Here SACD packaging (which he notes is due February 2008, but this date is by no means cast in stone!) along with the reasons for the various images he has concocted for it, or you want to see his 40th anniversary designs including the mini-LP box set, you'll find them here in glorious detail."
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 11:37 AM

I got a CBS 1/2 speed WYWH and that's is one mind blowing LP. Posted Image I hope the SACD comes out as Guthrie does really terrific work.
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 12:04 PM

If they're actually releasing WYWH, I'm surprised there are no rumors on the Wall. After the Dark Side of the Moon, that seems to be their most prominent album. As over played as that album has become, it has some really great music on it.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 01:58 PM

The Wall has been done a lot in terms of reissues so I like the idea of Wish You Were Here being released. I would like to see a new LP for Meddle as well.

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 05:22 AM

Don't get me wrong, the Wall is excellent, but I just can't listen to it...it is just too depressing for me. I hear ya, Lee...Meddle needs some love. As for WYWH, I have the Mastersound gold CD and it sounds pretty good to me. Not on par with an SACD version, but good nonetheless.

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 09:50 PM

the way stuff is being remastered these days (overly compressed, loud) i'm not sure I'd want any. +1 wish they'd do SACDs, especially of Animals
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, but I highly doubt they'd do that with Pink Floyd. Especially if the band has to approve it.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   Joe Cortez

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted January 20 2008 - 05:13 PM

I'll second SACD reissues of "Meddle" and "Animals" (and while we're at it, Waters' "Amused to Death" as well).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users