What's new

Pink Floyd reissues (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
This has been hard to verify. but there is news out that along with the giant OH BY THE WAY set, ALL of the PF albums will come out individually this Feb..

I would ask if they are remastered-after all - in the 14 years since the last remastering, technology has grown leaps and bounds-and buying a simple reissue would be pointless...

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Piper at the Gates of Dawn was just reissued in a two and three disc set which included both the mono and stereo version and, in the three disc version, a collection of rarities and B sides. I was hoping we would see more Pink Floyd released in this fashion. The Piper release sounded great. I agree with everyone that is asking for SACD releases, but that seems like a pipe dream right now.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Based on previous experience of Floyd keeping their promises about release dates, I guess we can expect these to be actually released about 2012. And I bet they'll still be in plain old stereo. Don't get me wrong - I think the stereo releases should be maintained, but given the effort Genesis, Elton John et al have put into 5.1 releases in SACD and/or DVD-A, couldn't other artists of the same period make a similar effort? Especially since in concert Floyd pioneered the use of surround sound.

SpikeHK

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Schechter
Reviews I've read of the boxed set said that none of the discs in there were new remasters, just the existing versions. So I don't think it would be logical that they would then issue newly remastered discs so soon after the boxed set. Probably just a catalog refresh with the cardboard sleeves. Would be nice though.

Manus

Second Unit
I have the 'Shine On' boxset and this is just a repackaging of that set . Very shoddy compared to , say , The Doors and Talking Heads type boxsets that would start us all buying em over again .

~M~

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator

In the 4th edition of the Mind Over Matter book, a few words and images are shared about the Wish You Were Here SACD. No release date was given but atleast there's been some movement on that front.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator

In the book, Thorgerson mentions that the SACD is being prepared for a February '08 release (seems a little unlikely at this point). At the time the book was published, (mid to late 07) James Guthrie was putting the final touches on the mix and awaiting approval by the band.

There's only about four paragraphs of info devoted to the release with a few new images created for the release. Much isn't revealed other than the fact that it should sound fantastic.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I think we're all, unfortunately, in for a long wait for an SACD of Wish You Were Here. Considering the length of time that has passed, there must be a bean-counter somewhere asking whether such a release will even make back the money spent for the work to create it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Then again, if the work's already done and paid for, they may not have much to lose by releasing it. . .

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
If they're actually releasing WYWH, I'm surprised there are no rumors on the Wall. After the Dark Side of the Moon, that seems to be their most prominent album. As over played as that album has become, it has some really great music on it.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Wall has been done a lot in terms of reissues so I like the idea of Wish You Were Here being released. I would like to see a new LP for Meddle as well.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Don't get me wrong, the Wall is excellent, but I just can't listen to it...it is just too depressing for me.

I hear ya, Lee...Meddle needs some love.

As for WYWH, I have the Mastersound gold CD and it sounds pretty good to me. Not on par with an SACD version, but good nonetheless.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
the way stuff is being remastered these days (overly compressed, loud) i'm not sure I'd want any.

+1 wish they'd do SACDs, especially of Animals

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but I highly doubt they'd do that with Pink Floyd. Especially if the band has to approve it.

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second SACD reissues of "Meddle" and "Animals" (and while we're at it, Waters' "Amused to Death" as well).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks