-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Buy new or used vehicle?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted December 28 2007 - 04:11 PM

I am really struggling with this decision.

I have found a pretty good deal on a used 2004 Nissan Murano. My mechanic checked it out, and it is in great shape, at half the original MSRP. Buying this vehicle is a logical choice, and I like the Murano.

But, my #1 choice, by far, is a brand new Toyota FJ Crusier. I can afford it, but I am having a hard time justifying the extra $10k on a vehicle that suffers poorer fuel efficiency and lacks interior refinement. But it looks cool and is fun to drive.

#2 of 12 Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted December 28 2007 - 06:08 PM

USED! USED! USED! USED!

I bought a 1995 1/2 Tacoma in 2004 for $7500. Paid it off this year. It has 207,000 miles, but hey, it is a Taco...probably the most reliable vehicle ever built.

I have a reliable ride and no car payment. That is a nice combination.

The FJ will probably get on your nerves pretty quick. There is a blue one on a used lot nearby. It's been there for three months. Got to be a reason for that.
Look up!  Scream in terror!  Get smooshed!  Fear me, for I am PARTYZILLA!

facebook.com/getthebuzz  facebook.com/partyzilla

#3 of 12 mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts

Posted December 29 2007 - 01:29 AM

I cannot remember where I read it but first year FJ's were not reliable at all, I second the Nissan.
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#4 of 12 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,692 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted December 29 2007 - 02:16 AM

Between the two, it's no contest for me either. The Murano. A year or two later the FJ will also be "used" and not worth all that much more. There's nothing like buying a new car. But I'd much rather pay for a good used one.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#5 of 12 BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted December 29 2007 - 02:40 AM

No contest. My vote is for the Murano, too. $10,000 is too high a premium to pay for cool looks, especially when you factor in the low mileage and lack of refinement. And, as Gene said, it won't be new for long. If you're financing, the Coolness Factor will wear off long before the FJ is paid for.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#6 of 12 Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted December 29 2007 - 03:35 AM

I tend to buy 1- 2 year old cars and let original owner cover the depreciation. Another vote for the Murano.

#7 of 12 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,349 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 29 2007 - 04:17 AM

Buy used: the hard part is done, as you've found a good quality used car at a fair price.

I buy new since I don't want the added complexity and surplus options of sorting through used cars. But you've already thrashed through that so you should reap the benefits, get a good car and save some serious cash.

#8 of 12 Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted December 29 2007 - 05:18 AM

I don't know the Murano's mileage, but I would reccomend something used in the 30mpg or higher area.

BUT, that depreciation you avoid will buy a lot of gas.
Look up!  Scream in terror!  Get smooshed!  Fear me, for I am PARTYZILLA!

facebook.com/getthebuzz  facebook.com/partyzilla

#9 of 12 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted December 29 2007 - 09:16 AM

Avoid the FJ if only becuase you can't see out of the damn thing especially to the rear quarters.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#10 of 12 Robert_Z

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted December 29 2007 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.

You all pretty much echoed what I have been thinking. The Murano is too good of a deal to pass up. I drove it for several hours today. Great ride. Now I just have to plunk down some cash for an extended warranty.

#11 of 12 Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted December 30 2007 - 08:39 AM

If you are paying cash and are plently liquid, buying used is certainly attractive. But if you are going to have to get a loan, sometimes the difference in interest rates and payment periods for new vs used may make the actual price difference small or even negative. Plus there is something about driving a car from mile 0 (or 120, whatever the sales/factory guys put on it) in terms of knowing that it hasn't been ragged out or poorly maintained - those check out mechanics can't find everything. Also if you're borrowing on it, ask about what insurance coverage you'll need to satisfy the bank - some low APR loans require zero-deductible insurance, which can add up.

I'd get the FJ in a heartbeat, the Murano's styling is a real turn off for me, and I have always wanted one of the original 70s FJ40s.

Buzz's point is valid though - if gas prices continue rising, it will be harder and harder to sell a vehicle with poor mileage.

#12 of 12 Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted December 30 2007 - 09:41 AM

If I remember correctly I believe the Morano is a much more comfortable vehicle. For me that would seal the deal.
MARC S KESSLER