Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ieee 1394 (firewire) cable to pc?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 todbnla

todbnla

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted December 26 2007 - 06:52 AM

Got a new Canon cam corder and need to figure out what I am going to do with the video I record? keep on Mini DV tapes or upload to a pc? If I upload to a pc looks like I need a firewire to upload to my pc? What do most of you guys do or use? Keep the mini dv tapes or upload to pc and if upload, how do you do it?

PLMK
Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#2 of 2 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,347 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 27 2007 - 01:18 AM

I keep the MiniDV source tapes as a backup, but also upload the video to the PC via firewire for editing and creating a DVD. I'll burn a DVD and also "burn" an image to my external hard drive so I can create another edited DVD, should something happen to the original one (saving me from re-editing again).

I used to use Ulead for video capture and editing, but I recently switched to Adobe Premiere Elements, and find it pretty easy to use. The menu creation functions are more advanced than the version of Ulead that I used previously. If you also want a decent, inexpensive photo editing program, Adobe bundles Premiere Elements with the latest version of Elements. Since I wanted to upgrade my copy of the latter from version 4 to version 6 anyway, buying the bundle with the video editing software was not much more $$$.