Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

new BARABBAS from sony?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

• 1,955 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 06:49 AM

a few years ago, sony released a widescreen stereo release of Barabbas starring Anthony Quinn. No restoration work had been done and the color was pretty bad. Now Amazon shows a new release coming end of March 08 with a CD included. any one know anything about this. Any chance of color restoration so that the skys are blue instead of green? How about putting back in the INtermission and the Intermission music?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Robin9

• 2,399 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 10:11 AM

I don't know anything about this, but I can say one thing: the Region 2 version of Barabbas has blue skies. Admittedly they are pale blue with a lot of white cloud, but that is understandable as the movie was shot in Europe, not in California, Arizona or Mexico. If your DVD has the wrong colour, buy the region 2 DVD.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 11:39 AM

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this very underated film will finally get a transfer that it deserves.When you see what Technirama could do in a transfer like King of Kings compared to this current DVD, you cannot believe that Sony could ever release such a mess.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

• 2,861 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 12:39 PM

I would love to see this remastered, and(fingers crossed) a BD release. This is a great, underrated film.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   RolandL

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted December 28 2007 - 02:03 AM

With a price of $9.95 I doubt it's remastered. What's with the running time of 167 minutes? The original DVD was 137 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes on the CD.
Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 44,055 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 10:03 AM

Some information for you. This is basically a re-packaging of the previous release, with some added value content. That's all the information I have at this point.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor

• 593 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 08:04 PM

It's been confirmed that it's the same exact transfer. Since the previous transfer was terrible, no reason to get this, not even for five dollars. Such a shame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users