Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WB discontinues Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same on both HD formats

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,305 posts

Posted December 25 2007 - 01:40 AM

Has anyone heard why WB discontinued Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray??? I was looking foward to picking up this title and I still might unless there is a serious issue with the disc. Lets say that since there has been no mention of problems with this title I was suprised to see that it was discontinued. Posted Image

Anyone know why it was discontinued and if it is going to be rereleased or not?
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#2 of 50 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted December 25 2007 - 11:08 AM

Just checked Amazon to see if they still have it available and they list (for both formats) a release date of 12/31/10 (their standard when they don't have a date) with this message:
Quote:
Production Delay: Due to production and shipment delays from the studio impacting all retailers, this title was not available to ship by the original street date. We are working with the studio to get this product in stock as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.
First time I've ever seen that on Amazon. That may have something to do with it if it has been discontinued.

#3 of 50 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,855 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 25 2007 - 01:51 PM

That message (and date) have been up at amazon since it's scheduled release date.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 50 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 25 2007 - 06:04 PM

Seems like it might just be delayed.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 50 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 01:08 AM

I could never figure out whether or not this title was going to include lossless audio, so perhaps Warner Bros. could use this delay to the customers advantage by including it if it wasn't going to have it originally. Otherwise, I won't be buying this title whenever it is released.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 50 OFFLINE   Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage

Second Unit

• 387 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 04:53 AM

There are some out there if you look. I have my HD DVD copy that I paid $20 for from an online retailer.

Laters,
Jeff
...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

#7 of 50 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 26 2007 - 08:01 AM

I pre-ordered it (on BD) direct from WB, and every now and then they send me an email saying that delivery is being delayed. No mention of it actually being discontinued though.

What's the "legal snag?"
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 50 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 26 2007 - 09:11 AM

ed wood(the second one) was pulled because of a clip or something in the special features that someone didnt like.

"Lastly, I should note that there is one extra, "When Carol Met Larry," that only appears on the first batch of Ed Wood DVDs. It's a mini-doc about a transvestite and it is rumored that it was this extra that held up the DVD for all those years. True or not, I certainly hope that it wasn't for this disposable piece of nonsense that I was kept waiting. The DVD certainly doesn't miss its inclusion."

are you saying this is the same on the song remains the same release?

isnt the sd version readily available?

besides that, who says this was cancelled not just delayed?

i just ordered one on each format and they have shipped.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 50 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,305 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 10:58 AM

Quote:
I could never figure out whether or not this title was going to include lossless audio, so perhaps Warner Bros. could use this delay to the customers advantage by including it if it wasn't going to have it originally.

Hey Paul, it's WB where talking about here. Posted Image There more likely to use a low bitrate dolby digital track than they are Dolby True HD or uncompressed pcm. I would love to own it in HD but I may just pass on it even though I do want the title. There is no guarentee, I might just pick it up be cause I am week! Posted Image

DVD Empire listed it as discontinue by studio.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#10 of 50 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 11:08 AM

dvd empire as a source?

ok, how about a link to a press release or an announcement form WB
facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 50 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,305 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 11:38 AM

DVD Planet shows title as discontinued by studio

Amazon says this: Production Delay: Due to production and shipment delays from the studio impacting all retailers, this title was not available to ship by the original street date. We are working with the studio to get this product in stock as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

DVD planet shows out of stock.

I am not having much luck finding any other mention of this title being delayed or discontinued on WB's web site or any other, at least not yet. I have never had any reason to doubt DVD Empire in the past so I wanted to find out what was going on with this title.

#12 of 50 OFFLINE   Dustin-W

Dustin-W

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
Hey Paul, it's WB where talking about here. Posted Image There more likely to use a low bitrate dolby digital track than they are Dolby True HD or uncompressed pcm. I would love to own it in HD but I may just pass on it even though I do want the title. There is no guarentee, I might just pick it up be cause I am week! Posted Image

DVD Empire listed it as discontinue by studio.

I can say for a fact the HD-DVD has TrueHD.

#13 of 50 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted December 26 2007 - 04:21 PM

Quote:
There is no guarentee, I might just pick it up be cause I am week! [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/../images/smilies/laugh.gif] I did a little searching, and I think I found the source Jeff is referring to. I ordered the Blu-ray Disc today, and it shipped this evening. I should be able to confirm the existence of lossless audio on the Blu-ray Disc shortly. I am hopeful that it will based on Dustin's post.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#14 of 50 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts

Posted December 27 2007 - 06:28 AM

Posted Image

Looks like TrueHD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 50 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted December 27 2007 - 10:49 AM

Got my copy for Christmas, but haven't played it yet, as I need an empty house when I crank out the Led for my head!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#16 of 50 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted December 27 2007 - 11:26 AM

This (the HD DVD) was something I was considering getting eventually, but figured I should get it now. Just ordered it from BN.com - they claim to have both the HD DVD and Blu-ray in stock/shipping in 24 hours. The SD is listed as "usually ships in 1-2 weeks." Got it for $21.xx using a 20% coupon for members (that was actually cheaper than using a 25% coupon because I would have had to pay for shipping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
ok, how about a link to a press release or an announcement form WB
How about this story at High Def Digest?

#17 of 50 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,203 posts

Posted December 27 2007 - 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Indeed. Look at the bonus content as listed on the back of the box. It should be obvious which one might pose legal troubles by the way it's listed.

not to me.
Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#18 of 50 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted December 28 2007 - 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
not to me.
Posted Image

Yeah, sorry Brandon, me either. Care to enlighten us? Posted Image

The Jackal

#19 of 50 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts

Posted December 28 2007 - 04:48 AM

Sorry.

#20 of 50 OFFLINE   Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

• 1,266 posts

Posted December 28 2007 - 05:19 AM

Then why did you bring it up?Posted Image
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru ?