What's new

Donner Superman 2 SE (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
As of now it looks like people's passion for Superman 2 SE from Richard Donner is paying off! The digital bits have posted in the rumor section that the WB are considering it for late 2002 DVD Release, only a rumor but "BOY WHAT A RUMOR!!!!"

Looks like everyone here who posts about the movie should pat themselves on the back? Being positive is a good thing. I while ago i put some ideas down for extras on the DVD on the "Studio and Manufacturer feedback forum" If the WB is listening want do you want on the DVD!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Could you provide a link? I just checked the Digital Bits and could find no such information.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Don't get your hopes up (legal problems will probably kill ANY chance of a full "Donner's Superman II" from being completed). The Bits' Rumor page says only the following (and it's a posting from 10/19, anyway):

For late 2002 and beyond, the following titles are under consideration: A Night in Casablanca, The Loved One, Brewster McCloud, Soylent Green, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Best Friends and special editions of Forbidden Planet, Blazing Saddles, Logan's Run, Superman II and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
A special edition of Superman II does not necessarily equate to a Donner re-cut. I'm not sure a true workable Donner re-cut would even be possible given that there were necessary parts of the film that were never shot by him and the Lester footage would not necessarily match his intent for all of that.

It would be nice if they included deleted scenes and used branching to give us an approximation of what it would have been like, though. They could use title cards to fill in the gaps where no footage exists.

Regards,

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
This was brought up in the HTF chat with Warner which is archived here:
: This has been discussed. It would be very costly and time-consuming.
We would prefer not to do anything without Richard Donner's participation, and
perhaps even Richard Lester's partcipation. So it isn't easily answered just now,
but we understand the interest
I doubt this will ever come to fruition, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Even if all of the Donner footage is incorporated back into the film, at least I would still have the theatrical presentation on the current DVD.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Don't rule out re-cuts? they usually can't beat the original but the Star Trek: TPM is fantastic on my Dolby pro logic set up sound and picture!

If the WB are making a Special edition is anyone here going to say no? 5.1 widescreen with re-mastered picture on DVD with the deleted scenes from Donner version either put back seamlessly or in a deleted scenes section, is what we can hope for the most!

By the way hang on to your Lester version? it will still go up in value if you keep it when or if a new Superman 2 movie comes out!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If the WB are making a Special edition is anyone here going to say no?
You weren't here for the howls of protest that greeted the recut, remixed Superman I.

If the second film is reedited or remixed in any way, you can assume that at least some of the fans will be lining up to protest the desecration.

M.

C

Christina_V

The extended cut of Superman 1 isn't that bad!!!
Why do some people complain so much about it?
What happened with part 2 is just horrible,that i would LOVE to see Donners footage,either in a deleted scenes section or seamlessly branched(so both cuts are included) & see how the film is with his footage. Sure both director's scenes may be easy to tell apart & might make the movie somewhat disjointed. But at least we would be able to get a glimpse of what the original cut was supposed to be like.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The extended cut of Superman 1 isn't that bad!!! Why do some people complain so much about it?
It's a matter of taste. Some people simply prefer the original version. Others just don't like the idea of fiddling with movies years after the fact. I, personally, fall into the second category.

As for Superman II, I'm all for seeing a Donner re-cut. Since the original version is already available on DVD, everybody wins. This is the main problem that most had with Superman. The modified version was released on DVD, but not the originaol.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You weren't here for the howls of protest that greeted the recut, remixed Superman I.
That was because there was no option to view the original cut with the original soundtrack. They could easily have done this through seamless branching. Also, the remixed audio could have been the 5.1 DD track, and the original sound track could have been a 2.0 surround track. We already have the original Superman II on shelves now. Besides, Superman I was developed under completely different cirumstances. If they tried to have Donner recut Superman III, I'd be the first one protesting (I doubt Donner could save that piece of shit anyway, but that IS Lester's film). It's Donner's extensive involvement that spurred this whole thing.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They could pull a Star Trek and use CG to recreate how Donner imagined the scenes. Most of what wasn't shot was action, not dialogue

Jeff Kleist

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I'm pretty happy with the recut of Superman for the most part. I especially like the scenes of Superman making his way to Luthor's lair, that was classsic superman stuff, can't believe it was cut in the first place, it looks brilliant. I guess I wasn't worried about not having the original because I have the laserdisc. Still, might have been nice to have the original in a seemless branching mode. What bugs me is that I thought I was going to be able to switch to the music only track and avoide that crappy "read my mind sequence" but alas, the voice over appears on the music only track as well. Oh well, was a good idea while it lasted.

I'd like to see a SE of Superman II done in the same fashion as the abyss dvd, with seemless branching and tons of extras.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'd like to see a SE of Superman II done in the same fashion as the abyss dvd, with seemless branching and tons of extras.
That would be fantastic! I only wish that that is the way it will be released someday. I used to like "Superman II" so much when I was younger. Now, I put almost on par with parts III and IV. The only thing that separates it from those other two are the fantastic villans. I'm dying to see Dick Donner's version of the film.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
We're all dying to see a Donner re-cut! Nice to see you on this post Jeff (again we on the same subject)

Retro vision magazine issue 8# had Tom Mankiewicz talking of the most talked about famous cut S2 scene, with Jor-el and Clark being the most chilling scene ever seen!

With that in mind, too bad about those who would complain?redited movies are much better than remakes who's has been counting the remakes of popular movies this year! Has Hollywood lost it! haven't they got imaginations.

People bitch about "Star Wars SE trilogy" and maybe even "Superman SE" "Army of Darkness" with the Apocalpse ending "Apocalpse Now redux" and colourize old black and white movies of the 40's and 50's

Better to have deleted footage in archive section on DVD than, no footage?

Everyone can be cynical, but i rather be positive and give support of movies that can be greater when they get a second chance? how many of you have enjoyed Spartacus on DVD second time round? or seen such hits on DVD like Aliens Director's cut or The Abyss SE, Terminator 2 SE, Blade Runner the list goes on? we all are cynical about things at first! but we should remain open minded!

In time maybe "Superman 2 Donner Director's cut" will be all the rage!

Hopefully

yaniv

Auditioning
i think that after all these years, with all the films history, it should be re-released as a special edition with tons of extras.

i don't think lester or donner wants to do it, but i can't speak for them.

i just hope WB give this the green cut, i mean the green light.

yaniv

Conor R

Grip
I want it so badly. Getting the restored cut now next month hopefully on DVD. Have it on VHS. It's WAY better. They can easily do it. It WOULD make money. I think this would be IDEAL.

Superman II: The Adventure Continues DVD Dics 1:

A remasted version of SII. Lesters version.

Making of.

Lester Deleted Scenes.

Lester Commentry.

Reeve Commentry.

Photo Gallery.

Superman II: The Adventure Continues DVD Dics 2:

Remastered version of SII. Donners version. finish it with CGI.

Making Of.

Deleted scene.

John Williams score.

Donner, Reeve and Manky Commentry.

Isolated Score.

(I wish the showed Williams SII without the music and he does it like he would have done it. I'd say he forgets half of what Thorne did to his magnificant score so it would be easier to do instead of copying it.

Thats my dream. Now, SIV is a completely different matter. Same with that only the completely did the movie up with CGI making it look at least in the slight bit real. Make his suit proper blue instead of the dark blue we get. Make us believe he could fly in that movie.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Why is it that the isolated score and the soundtrack (at least my copy of the soundtrack) ALL have the "Can You Read My Mind?" dialogue? That is the single most embarrassing scene in the entire film, all because of the dialogue, and to be unable to avoid it even in an isolated score or a soundtrack album that otherwise features no dialogue from the film... what is the reason for this? Ayyone have any ideas?

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
A bump indeed. I think it will be fair to everyone if I move this to Software to get some better discussion.

Hang tight everyone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks