What's new

Dynasty S3 - two families to two volumes.. Bah Humbug Paramount! (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
From Complete Sets to Volume Sets nice trick Paramount..This is getting ridiculous with this studio, lets hope they come to their senses and make season 3 a complete release again. I don't know what to say anymore with Paramount. I give up!

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I'm disappointed by this as well. I was so happy that this show was finally getting back on track with DVD releases and now to read that each season may be down to two separate volumes is very disappointing. If this is the case, it will take forever for this series to be complete on DVD. I always thought of all the soaps that Dallas & Dynasty were the top two (honorable mention to Knots and Falcon Crest as well of course!) in ratings and popularity. DVD wise, Dallas is moving along nicely with regular DVD releases and is more than halfway thru it's series.
With 9 seasons of Dynasty and only two officially released, are we honestly going to have to wait for 14 more releases (if each season is split in 2) before we can get this entire series? Sounds very disappointing.

Now I too am wondering...are they doing this because of poor sales, or is it just the opposite? Were the sales so good on the 2nd season that Paramount is now trying to capitalize on this by making even more money this way? I hope this is not the case.

Hopes of this whole series making DVD are looking slimmer and slimmer and time-wise, longer and longer. Yikes!

I'm happy I still have my original recordings from when it first aired on ABC to fall back on.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, if that was the case then Paramount would likely have done or would be doing the same thing for far more popular shows like I Love Lucy (and keep in mind that they switched ILL from individual volumes to full season sets which meant less money for Paramount in the end) or The Andy Griffith Show or Mission: Impossible or even South Park.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Be thankful this show is still coming out at all. Yes, complete seasons are best but if they have to split them into volumes to justify continuing the releases then so be it. If these 2 volumes sell then perhaps future seasons will return to normal.

A reminder to those of you who are considering one of your boycots:

If you refuse to buy these sets simply because they're being split this time then you are only shooting yourself in the foot. Low sales will mean no more releases.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
You mean we're just supposed to lie back and take their crap? I don't think so. What's wrong with the consumers making their voices heard?? It's a question of demand, and we demand full season sets!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's nothing wrong with making your voice heard but like David said, if these split releases don't sell, there won't be any more releases at all. If the choice is between two volumes or nothing, I'd take two volumes every time.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

I have just come around on The Love Boat and Streets of San Francisco as far as volume sets go. But there is only so much i can take of this. If Paramount can tell me buying volume sets will lead to more releases all be it in volumes then i would be fine with it. But going from season sets to volume sets to me is the studio wanting to wash their hands of the series, because volume sets always seem to sell worse. Just jack the price up on a complete set if you need more money to warrant releasing the show. Fans are more than willing to pay more if they have to for complete seasons!

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
And where do you get that idea from?... there is many shows I am a fan of that I decided to do without because of the price per set is (in my opinion) to high for that show. all fans are not willing to pay whatever it takes to have a show in their collection.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Where ? common sense my friend.. I am not talking about paying a ton more for the sets. Include the price of what you would for 2 seperate volumes as the price for the full set. Paramount gets to save money not having to create 2-seperate print jobs and 2 seperate releases and the fans pay the same price for the whole season as they would both anyway. It is to much of a no-brainer it won't happen though.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

You make sound sense, but is that sound business sense when true fans of the show care about season sets more than volumes. So cater to the casual passing consumer who may or may not buy any future release and rub your nose at the fan who you have from day 1 if you just release sound full season releases. To me that business practice is half-assed. I understand the jist of it i just disagree with that practice. To me you take care of the casual fan down the road with price drops, you don't take care of the casual fan first who may or may not buy your product to begin with. But what do i know..

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
but the thing is... if it is not selling enough as season sets how does raising the price help it sell. There is a lot of shows I am a big fan of... but I still wouldn't buy them at any higher then normal price that most season sets are going for.

Just because I am a huge fan of any certain show doesn't mean I feel like can break my budget to pick it up. I have to get a deal if I want to add it to my collection.

Personally... if a show is not selling enough to continue season sets... but the studios is willing to sell it in volumes/half season sets I am happy to get them.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

I guess I don't see the problem. The episodes are coming out, they're in order (no "Best of" of individual story lines), and 12 "TV hours" isn't a bad release at all.

If they feel that a lower MSRP will be more conducive to people buying the sets, then I give them praise for trying something else. Especially considering the lackluster sales on S1 and S2 - it would be much easier for them to just stop releasing the show altogether.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I would say you guys would be in the vast minority when it comes to volumes. But where i would be in agreement with you is if this scenario is how it manages to play out: They continue to release them in quicker manner, say something like 3 or 4 volumes per year in so that it does not take another 10 years to get them all out with 1 or 2 volumes per year. As for the Complete Season Sets aslong as i get them all in the end that is fine, i can make my own complete sets. I just prefer collecting Season by Season. Buy a set and watch it, with Volumes i have to wait till the full season is out before i can sit down to watch anything. Well some shows you can get by with it easier than others. But a soap like Dynasty i can't watch half the season now and the other half 6-12 months down the road. That would sorta defeat the whole purpose of tv on dvd of being able to deluge yourself in marathon season viewings.

Anyways Happy Holidays to Everyone!!

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
If they release only two volumes per year, then I honestly couldn't be bothered waiting another 7 years!
Technology probably would have moved on and DVD would be probably redundant by then!

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like we're only going to see season 3 out in 2008, which means that hypothetically if Paramount continue with this schedule season 9 won't be out until 2014 - ridiculous!

Dallas is doing fine with season sets - why are Paramount doing this?

This is a transparent way of maximising revenue at the fans' expense. If season two did okay sales with a full set, then continue releasing full season sets. And if it's selling reasonably well, then get those season sets out there - at least three a year.

It might work out if only Paramount bring out at least one "volume" each quarter - two seasons a year - but somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

I already own the series on home-recorded DVD and I was happy to buy the official releases to replace them (I actually want The Colbys more than Dynasty - not much chance of that now), but I don't see the point now if Paramount are going to slow down the schedule and jack up the price. I will not buy any volume until a complete season is available so I can watch a show on DVD to my schedule - simple as that.

And if season 3 does have low sales, because they've pissed off the fans who don't want to wait for years to complete their collections, then it's their own fault - just like Warners screwed up with Knots Landing and their contined dithering about whether to contnue with that series or release Falcon Crest.

Seriously stupid move, Paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks