What's new

Setting Up Static IP (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I need to block internet access on my children's computers and video games at night. They are staying up way too late. My router allows me to make time of day access rules and exceptions. I have set the router to block all access at night, but I would like to make exceptions for 2 computers. One is a XP (wired) the other is Vista (wireless). How can I assign static addresses to these computers? I have tried Windows help with out much luck. Once these computers have a static address, I can make exceptions for them.
Thanks

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Every computer with a network card has a MAC address. It's a string of 12 hexadecimal characters. Run the getmac command from the shell. This should allow you to either

a) reserve a IP address for a specific network card, and then configure the computer to use that IP address

b) set access limitations based on MAC address, not merely on IP address.

(there's a way to spoof MAC addresses, but it's terribly complicated and should occupy your kids' brains for some time yet.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Beware that some routers aren't perfect at it. For instance, I assign static IP through my router for port forwarding purposes but the Macs in the room just ignore their assignments entirely. The PCs will obey as long as the Macs haven't stolen their spots.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
If you have a router that supports it, you can assign the IP addresses to specific MAC addresses in the router itself. Then you only have to configure things in one place (the router), as opposed to changing settings on each computer.

In addition, you can enable MAC address filtering so that only those MAC addresses can connect to the router.

I know that Linksys routers do not come with this functionality by default, but there are some alternate firmware options available that provide this and other advanced functionality.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I am running a Lynksys WRT54G router, but I upgraded firmware to the DD-WRT V23 sp1. With this firmware I was able to boost its wireless output. The router allows the rules to be set by either a IP address or IP range or the mac address. I already tried the IP instructions with no success, so the getmac command sounds like a good possibility.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I got the IP address from 3 out of the 4 computers. Unfortunately the one I can't get is the one I need the most. It is a XP machine. When I run ipconfig, it does not recognize the command. Is there any other way to get it?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Sounds like something is messed up on that XP machine, because ipconfig should work. Perhaps the paths are messed up on the machine. Go into your Windows/System32 path and look for the file ipconfig.exe.

If it's there, navigate to that directory at the commandline in run it in the directory.

Also, you can check to see if windows/system32 is in your path from the command prompt by typing the command "path". If it's not there, you can add it to the path by opening up your system properties (right click on my computer, select properties). Then Advanced tab, Environment Variables button. Then in the System variables, find "Path", select it and click the Edit button. Add the full path to system32, making sure it is separated from other entries by a semicolon.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Do you have any icon for the network connection in the system tray? If so right click on it, select "status" and then go to the "support" tab. That should display the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway settings.

Regards,

Joe

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The ipconfig was in the system32 folder but still didn't work. I remembered that my son's log-in does not have admin rights, so I logged-in as admin and it worked. I set the router to block their MAC addresses at night. Last night my daughter came down at 11:00pm complaining that her MSN stopped working, so I guess the router is set up right.
Thanks for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks