What's new

HTF HD DVD Review: Battlestar Galactica Season One (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
ronsreviews_covers_1485002.jpg">

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Great review, Sam. BSG is intelligent, dramatic, exciting and fun by turns. A rare gem for TV on any network. The resonant and deep storytelling coupled with outstanding special effects quickly made this my # 1 TV show, ranking right up the top of the list with X-Files and Star Trek for the best damn TV show ever!

A wonderful show for anyone and a fine example of how scripted television is an art form when done right!

Thanks again for the Review, Sam - that was alot of BSG to go through so that you could share with us your thoughts! :)

Neil

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Hi Sam -- Thanks for the review. One quick correction, though. I assume you meant to say:

"This box set contains the initial 4 hour miniseries and an additional 13 episodes," not "11 episodes."

Mark

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review Sam!

Packaging snafus aside, I think this will be a worthy purchase in HD (especially if you don't own the SD counterpart). I had read many complaints over at AVS regarding the video quality, but then many level-headed posters starting posted images comparing the SD, UHD broadcasts and this HD-DVD, and there was clearly a difference. A nice step up over the UHD boradcasts and a large step up over the SD-DVD.

Happy holidays to you Sam!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Ironically, I think if screenshot comparisions were posted for every single title in dispute, that would be the end of people dogging all these "non Discovery HD releases". The differences would be apparent.
It would be ironic in that, while easily apparent in a still image, the emphemeral, temporal nature of the sights and sound in films mitigates the ability to process much of this detail on the fly before a new stimulus(scene) is brought up.
And that isn't even taking in to account the emotional engagment of the content.

I think it is these things that are hampering many peoples ability to appreciate the more refined presentation of HDMs...not so much that the HDMs themselves are flawed.
It was amusing to go thru a seven page thread of kvetching and bitching about the BSG PQ, and then see everyone look at screen cap comparisions and back off on their criticism.

The packaging and QC are an unfortunate stain on this release. It should have been High watermark for the format so far. Those, and possibly the poor ergonomics of the U-Control content (when will they learn) compromise a release whose actual content is golden.
Hopefully Universal will wise up and for S2 we just get a nice, functional case with beautiful graphics, like Blade Runner.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Agreed! The only problem I have with this release is the packaging. It is the worst packaging I have ever seen for disc based media. Those rubber hubs should be outlawed, they didn't work in the LOTR complete recordings set and they don't work here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks