What's new

Are there Blu-ray replication problems with Blade Runner?! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My Amazon copy hasn't been shipped yet.

This usually means replication problems in getting orders out --
especially when it comes to Blu-ray.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but anybody know why the
delay in getting copies to Amazon?

If this keeps up, next time I'll pick HD-DVD instead.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's certainly a fair question, Ron, because Amazon isn't the only vendor with a shortage of Blu-ray copies. The Best Buys in NYC have the same issue, although I managed to get one of the few copies from the 5th Ave. store before they ran out. I gave up on Amazon and canceled my pre-order.

The HD DVD version seems to be more readily available. When I was in BB, they still had copies of that version, and Amazon currently shows it as "in stock".

M.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not happy about this. I'm off today and should have spent it
watching Blade Runner on Blu-ray.

I cancelled my copy and switched to HD-DVD.

That will probably be the last Blu-ray title I buy from Warner. I'm
not going to continue to deal with a format that can't get enough copies
replicated in time! :frowning:

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im pissed too except im only Blu for now. Im off tomorrow and I was going to watch Blade Runner so hopefully I can find one at a B & M tonight or in the morning

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am also having the same problem.. I preordered the boxset.. it was suppse to come today.. its will come tomorrow.. I did the one night shipping..

I did find it locally at a target the 5 disc set without the suitcase for 34 bucks.. I am able to watch it.

Jacob

ErichH

Screenwriter
My aug 21 order just changed to shipping soon, but still has it's original est shipping of Dec18 (yesterday) and delivery on Dec 20 (tomorrow)

My first thought is S%it! but how soon I forget the date. It's a few days before Xmas, and UPS is in hell. A driver who visits my shop quite often told me they were maxxing out over a week ago on the east coast.

Why release this very important title in the middle of crunch time? Who knows, but it is odd that so many BD titles have been vastly underestimated in the last cycle. Why?
Many times Amazon ships a 2 day delivery 2 days ahead of release to match date, or perhaps by 1 day late.

Replication? UPS? Title not for 18-24 year old demog?
Sh%t!!

ErichH

Screenwriter

The set was given a life span of only 4 days. By release day, most copies were retired.

Did you Get Your Precious Copy?
No, someone was there.
Men?
Studio Men?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i work at a best buy.

today i looked in the database for a br case and found that not one store in the 13 listed was shipped a br case.

my store did get 2 of the hd dvd cases and only 5 total for all the stores in our area.

there is also a note on the listing that says due to a shortage none will be shipped to BB stores at this time.

my order on amazon is ready to ship.

i had to call to get it from on order to "shipping soon"

i ordered on aug 4th. using super saver free shipping.

the person i spoke to today explained to me that it has a low shipping priority due to super saver shipping status.
all the 1 or 2 day people had their's shipped already.

ron was yours listed as an open order or shipping soon.

never mind since you canceled it must have still been an open order.
shipping soon cannot be canceled.

my complaint to amazon was that super saver should not delay when it ships, but how long it takes to arrive.

also not one br case went to a borders in this area.
the borders i was in had 1 hd dvd case.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've had this same debate with Amazon, but even after they upgraded my BR Blu-ray (discs; no briefcase) to regular shipping at no charge, it was still on backorder till who knows when. It's pretty clear that supplies are limited, and people who don't already have it (or have it en route) are going to be waiting a while.

M.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
It's sad that you could not watch Blade Runner when you planned to, specially since you must have pre-ordered well in advance. But have you considered another possibility, that Warner or the retailers, or maybe both, simply underestimated the demand for the Blu-Ray version. In fact that is exactly what I read on some site, that the sales of Blade Runner on Blu-Ray has been substantially higher than the estimates, thus causing shortages and sellouts at several retailers. I am sorry but I don't exactly remember which site, but considering the amount of reading I do on the net, it is hard to keep up with what I read and where. After all, none of the other titles on Blu-Ray, in fact even the titles that have been very high sellers these past few weeks, have had this problem. Are'nt we being a little presumptious in thinking that replication issues are the cause of these delays and shortages? I personally was lucky enough to get my Blu-Ray copy almost 10 days ago and I must say Warner has done a fantastic job with this title. Sorry, but I don't mean to rub it in, just thought that I'd share my feelings.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well Ronbo just so you feel properly "format neutral", my HD-DVD set from Amazon is now on track to ship on 24 December. So much for it being a BRD problem.

A BiRD in the hand is worth two HD-DVD in the bush? :laugh:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just to add. i was told by the amazon phone guy that my br case was available it was just set aside until all the others shipped.
so mine is there just in the back of the line.

ron, was yours free super saver of a quicker option.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am going to check and see if my local retailer has the Blu-ray of Blade Runner and if they do not I will just wait. I am in no big rush to get a WB title with DN encoded on it. So I might as well get it on the format I want it on first time around. Sure I could pick it up on HD-DVD if that is the only choice in the store, but I have decided to go Blu on this one.

I am however getting really tired of WB and the way they put out HD releases. When I say that I mean putting out HD releases with low end audio tracks and or not putting out enough copies to cover demand. There are to many times when WB has put out a release with low bitrate audio and I am getting tired of WB not offering top teir audio on there HD releases! :angry: I am ready to give my money to other studios that are putting out a better product and offering top rate lossless audio tracks, the kind of tracks that most of the WB titles are not receiving.

What the heck is going on with WB anyway?
  • They offer low bitrate audio.
  • They can not seem to get enough Blu-ray discs to market at least on this title.
  • Where is Lethal Weapon 3 & 4 ???
  • Where is Superman 3 & 4 ???
Like I said above I am ready to start putting money towards other studios titles instead of WB. Granted if I really want the title I am going to buy it. But otherwise if this continues and WB can not get there act together they can count on loosing money from this customer! :angry:

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I got my HD DVD from Amazon yesterday. But I'm also an Amazon Prime member. Is anyone else have an Amazon Prime account?

Doug

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I noted my problems with Amazon regarding the Blu-ray disc-only edition in another thread. My pre-order went to "Shipping Soon" status yesterday, but today they changed the shipping estimate to Dec. 21-22, with an estimated delivery of Dec. 24 (I paid for standard shipping). I'm not holding my breath.

I am a little angry that they changed the shipping date AFTER it went into "Shipping Soon" status, since I'm now unable to change or cancel the order. And does it really take up to three days to "prepare to ship"?

I guess it doesn't make any difference since I can't find any copies locally. In the meantime, I'm going to see The Final Cut again tonight, since the local theater fixed its projection problems and are now showing it digitally. This will finally be my first digital big-screen experience, and I couldn't have picked a better movie!

Mark

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
My Blu-ray copy shipped the other day from Amazon. Pre-ordered in July and selected Standard Shipping.

I think this is probably a Warner issue. Their web store has been notoriously behind on shipping (I ordered Clockwork Orange and 2001 on August 8 and still haven't received anything) due to the failure of a new inventory tracking system. Perhaps that system wasn't just specific to their web store and also tracked retail shipments as well?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Waugh! My Amazon order is showing a 12/24 shipping date, so it'll be sometime next week before it shows up. Ah well...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
FWIW, the Best Buy nearest my house (Red Deer) had @ least 5 copies of the case in both HD DVD and BD. SD cases were also plentiful. I'd say it's more an allocation problem than a replication problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks