Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hancock (Will Smith as a Superhero!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 05:33 AM

The film doesn't look like what I was expecting. Not that that is a bad thing, I guess I still had the tone of "I Am Legend" in my mind so I thought itwas going to be a very dark look at a superhero after reading the premise for it.

http://www.joblo.com....hancocktrailer

#2 of 23 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 06:50 AM

Huh, I didn't even realize Tonight, He Comes... had gotten as far as filming. Not sure whether I like the new name better.

And, hey, it's scheduled for a "Big Willie Wednesday" release. Posted Image Been a while since he had one of those.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 23 TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 07:03 AM

The script for "Hancock" is said to be very good (as well as hilarious) and the rumored "twist" on the Charlize Theron character
that she's actually a super villain
should be fun to see unfold (if true).

This one could go either way though. It could be a great romp and end up being a big summer hit or it could end up being another "My Super Ex-Girlfriend". The teaser spot did have some funny moments though.
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#4 of 23 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,966 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 07:07 AM

I laughed my ass off at the whale part. This should be a fun role for Will Smith. And Jason Bateman Posted Image

Who is directing this?
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 23 TerryRL

TerryRL

Producer

• 3,977 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 07:43 AM

Peter Berg is directing "Hancock".
"Quite an experience to live in fear isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

#6 of 23 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 10:13 AM

This looks pretty good and quite a few steps up from My Super Ex-girlfriend which did have its moments.

Being 6 months out, the sfx already are looking great as well. Will be nice to have another Smith 4th of July.

#7 of 23 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,966 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 11:24 AM

It's good to hear that it's Berg directing. He's an above average director, and should have the right touch to get the tone of this film right.

I'm warming the idea of an unlikeable dickhead Will Smith as superhero Posted Image

#8 of 23 Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 02:39 AM

I just saw the trailer for this movie on Apple trailers and I have to say, wow, I really like it! It looks fun and the effects are spot on. He's a very "different" type of Superhero. Can't wait to see what they have in store for Charlize Theron.

Again, yup, the whale part. LOL!
"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#9 of 23 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,931 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 03:30 AM

Loved it. Looks like a must see to me.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#10 of 23 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted January 01 2008 - 02:06 PM

From the premise, I really expected something different. Something more dramatic about a guy who used to be great in his heyday and has one more chance to prove himself - kinda like a Rocky Balboa with a superhero. So looks like I'll need to readjust my expectations.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#11 of 23 Brad M

Brad M

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 02:55 PM

I had no idea what to expect when I walked into this thread. That was great! I've gotta see it.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

#12 of 23 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 12:13 AM

This has TV sitcom written all over it.

Pass.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#13 of 23 Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 09:35 AM

I was reminded of My Super Ex-Girlfriend while watching the trailer, which is not a good sign.

#14 of 23 Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 10:32 AM

The special effects set pieces look like they cost a lot and I think Smith + Baetman is going to be a good 1-2 (I'm a bit biased as I'm a huge Arrested Development fan though) comedic team.

I think it'll do big business, people probably will want some lighter fare next summer with still a good dose of action. The whale bit made me chuckle too. Reminds me a bit of 'Men In Black' in terms of tone.

#15 of 23 john doran

john doran

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 02:10 AM

Here's a link to an extended trailer that aired last night:

New Hancock Extended Trailer - Actually Looks Good? « FirstShowing.net

this just keeps looking better and better...

smith, bateman, and berg. where do i sign up?
 fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

#16 of 23 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,931 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 06:23 AM

Man, that trailer excited me even more to go see this.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#17 of 23 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,966 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 07:13 AM

Can't trust a writer that calls out Hancock as awful superhero parodying while touting July 4th as a day "that should be reserved for exciting blockbusters like Transformers and Independence Day". Unless by exciting, he meant rote and relatively idea-free.

But I did enjoy the trailer. I was already going to see this on the basis of Berg, Bateman, and Smith. I also found the earlier teaser good enough.

#18 of 23 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 12:04 PM

It looks promising. I do have some reservations, considering that it has taken 5 writer's to come up with the script for this film.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#19 of 23 Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 03:29 PM

I think it will be a pretty entertaining flick. Unlike many people I don't mind Will Smith as an actor.

#20 of 23 Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts

Posted April 24 2008 - 10:46 PM

This looks like fun. Probably not one I'm going to see at the cinema but I'll definitely pick-up the Blu-ray.