What's new

Amazon Fox/MGM Blu-ray Disc BOGO (12/16/07 - 12/17/07) (1 Viewer)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Holy crap!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Paul! I just went a little nuts, but given the outrageous price of FOX Blu Rays, this is well worth it!!!!!!!

I just ordered:

Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Die Hard With A Vengeance
Rescue Dawn
Mr. Brooks
Hills Have Eyes 2 (this is bad but the horror fanatic in me could not resist!)

Some fantastic savings on this stuff. Really. I actually had Rescue Dawn in my hand at Best Buy last night because I loved the movie. SO glad I didn't pay $34.99 for it.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Thanks! Picked up Fantastic Four and Robocop, only $11 each. A few of the others I was able to get at Frys for $13.99, so I can't complain. I'm glad that Mr & Mrs Smith wasn't on the list, since I just picked it up this morning at Best Buy with Bourne Ultimatum with their Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale.

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up "Kingdom Of Heavan" & "Die Hard 3"

I generally prefer 2:35 movies to 1:85. I find they look better overall on my 61' Samsung

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Although it isn't listed as part of this offer, I have seen reports of Edward Scissorhands working for people.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Amazon Card holders, don't forget the $5 DVDSAVE5 coupon. I cancelled my earlier order and placed a new one, final price is $8.68 each:
Subtotal of Items: $55.90
Shipping & Handling: $3.97
BN Promotion Applied -$5.59
Super Saver Discount -$3.97
Promotion Applied -$5.00
Promotion Applied -$27.95
------
Total for this Order: $17.36

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Ha! My copy of Die Hard(1) just came in from the DVD Planet sale last week, and I still haven't opened it. I had already cancelled the copy of Die Hard2 I ordered with it, but I didn't have the sense to take them both off the order.

Also, If I hadn't rented the Fly a couple weeks back, and just watched From Hell last night I might be more inclined to go nuts here.
I'll have to mull it over a little- getting the 10% discount off the second title makes these sales compelling even when the title selection isn't.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm sort of glad I didn't get that 10% early adopter's bonus at Amazon because I know I would have spent a whole lot more money than I needed to. It's just easier to rationalize a purchase decision when the HDM is $9 or under per title, but if it's over $11 or $12, then the costs add up more and now I just don't get a title just because it's in HDM and cheap as I have a decent sized SD collection (over 950, maybe over 1000) that is now just collecting dust (I even gave away many of the SD DVD titles that I now have on HDM for office Christmas gifts). But, it's a nice feeling to spend less than $10 on a HDM title you really want in your collection. I'm just trying to avoid what happened with SD DVD on my HDM purchases: after SD DVDs got cheap, for about 4 years I got in the habit of buying cheap $5 SD DVDs just because they were cheap and near the cost of a rental before I finally kicked the habit these past couple of years. Plus, I'm running out of room that I want to devote to TV/Film media in my house. I feel like I need to attend a nearby DVD-aholic Anonymous meeting, or something, at times when I get tempted to fall off the wagon with these damn BOGO deals on HDM.

That being said, I did use some Best Buy credit (returned a Christmas gift for credit a few days ago) to buy Harry Potter 5 HD DVD (mainly for the IME) and Bourne Utimatum HD DVD via BB's BOGO today. And I did falter by pre-ordering the Blade Runner HD DVD briefcase edition for release in a couple of days. But I really wanted that super-duper collection for a film that really informed my cinematic sensibilities of what good sci-fi could be in the movies at a young age for me in the early 1980's. And...the Blade Runner release was going to happen on my birthday, so it was fate! I was compelled to order it.
Went with the HD DVD edition since the red HD DVD case suits the Blade Runner title logo and overall packaging design, and BD didn't provide anything extra over the HD DVD version. But I digress...

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I have asked for only one type of XMas present: Future Shop gift cards. Being format neutral is nuking my finances and Amazon is NOt helping! Four more today incl Die Hard 1,2,3 and Night at the Museum.

If anyone feels sorry for me, please pmail me and I will send you my mailing address. All donations gratefully accepted. Thank you.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, there's a lot of wisdom in what you say.
That's why i prefer not to listen to it. ;)
I was firmly commited to NOT ordering the Die Hards until there was a sale- but the 20% off sales coupled with store credit made me break down on the first one. I'll be sending it back though this week though (along with some other DVDs I have second thoughts about now).

What I do feel somewhat pathetic about is- even though I just saw From Hell last night, I'm still feeling tempted to order it. Even though I had the two disc dvd set sitting in my "to sell off" pile for the last 3 years. I watched that dvd a total of one time. I enjoyed the film, just have never felt a big need to watch it again...until it it got released in HD. And so I clear off a full plate of movies bought and sitting on the shelf unopened, to spin a rental of it.
I'm not very proud of that (but still feel a need to broadcast it for some reason).

On the other hand, I just got thru my main wave of Christmas ebay sales (which amounted to selling stuff I got from DD sales 2 or 3 years earlier, got some enjoyment out of, and now don't need) and was able to pay for 3/4 of all the HDMs and dvds I've bought this season.
And some of the stuff I buy this year will be the fodder for '08/'09 etc. Thats what makes this hobby a perpetual motion machine for me.
In fact, I just sold off my set of the three Die Hards in the Five Star sets. Based on what I got for that + the average cost of $11 in this sale, it's costing me a grand total of $18 to upgrade the three films to HD versions.
That's for all three films.

I finish typing that out, and it makes me want to go back and order a bunch of other stuff now.

Make hay while the sun shines- there are going to be many weeks ahead where there won't be any deals whatsoever, and that extra 10% is going to be a distant memory. Buying is going to slow down quite a bit for a lot of people at that point.

oh and uh, I don't know why its on the hush hush but Happy birthday in advance

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Am I not supposed to largely be buying stuff for other people at this time of year?! It cracks me up that Amazon has adopted the vernacular and is calling this a "BOGO."

Just recently, after reviewing supps on the SDs of Speed, Die Hard, From Hell and Terminator, I'd decided that the only way I would get these titles on BD would be via a sale. I'm annoyed with Fox' MSRP when they are routinely omitting significant supps from the standard def on their BDs (including the remarkable 40-page treatment Cameron wrote for Terminator).

Too bad no Cast Away.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah that is pretty funny. I've now learned to speed read any page for BOGO.

But shouldn't it be BOGOF?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I think that this is pretty standard retail vernacular. The Payless Shoe Store by the place where I get my hair cut always has a sign in their window that reads "BOGO". Those sales are not quite as exciting as these to me. :laugh:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No player of any HD format yet, but couldn't resist anymore anyway. :D Finally bought Die Hard (on any format at all in large part for the wife :D) to go w/ X-Men 3 for the BOGO and Blade Runner: Final Cut on 5D BD, making use of the DVDSAVE5 coupon (and the $30 back deal on a new Amazon card). :D Plan to limit myself to BD for now...

_Man_

LarryH

Supporting Actor

Since Payless floods the airwaves with their so-called BOGO ads, I just cannot help screaming that that they always have a buy one get one half off sale, so they should not be allowed to call them BOGO when they are really BOGOHO :).

Anyhow, these real BOGO sales are killing me, especially when there are so many titles for which I already paid the full (discounted) price.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
The sale seems to be still active. I picked up 4 titles a few days ago and perhaps I´ll pick up 2 more.. Damn, I soon have all the Fox/MGM-titles I want at the moment. I even got AvP! ;) I love HD, thanks Amazon!

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

I know! While everyone in our family will be getting their presents, I've bought so many sales discs in this month its absurd. I will have to put the brakes on and just take a moment to get into the frame of mind to enjoy what I get for Xmas!

But BOGO FEVER is hard to resist!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

The link is still active but I am not getting the discount at checkout

GOD DAMN!

Really wanted the first three Die Hards (Waiting for the double dip for the unrated LFODH) and The Fly

Any chance that if I call, I can still get the discount?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks