Photo
- - - - -

Amazon Fox/MGM Blu-ray Disc BOGO (12/16/07 - 12/17/07)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 01:48 AM

Here is the HDM BOGO a lot of you have probably been waiting for on select Fox/MGM Blu-ray Discs. The sale is two days only!

http://www.amazon.co...g=bluraynews-20
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#2 of 34 MattFini

MattFini

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 02:47 AM

Holy crap!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Paul! I just went a little nuts, but given the outrageous price of FOX Blu Rays, this is well worth it!!!!!!!

I just ordered:

Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Die Hard With A Vengeance
Rescue Dawn
Mr. Brooks
Hills Have Eyes 2 (this is bad but the horror fanatic in me could not resist!)

Some fantastic savings on this stuff. Really. I actually had Rescue Dawn in my hand at Best Buy last night because I loved the movie. SO glad I didn't pay $34.99 for it.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#3 of 34 PerryD

PerryD

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 03:06 AM

Thanks! Picked up Fantastic Four and Robocop, only $11 each. A few of the others I was able to get at Frys for $13.99, so I can't complain. I'm glad that Mr & Mrs Smith wasn't on the list, since I just picked it up this morning at Best Buy with Bourne Ultimatum with their Buy 1 Get 1 Free sale.

#4 of 34 Gary Murrell

Gary Murrell

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 03:10 AM

load up boys, I already paid 30$ each for all of these Posted Image

-Gary

#5 of 34 Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 03:11 AM

Picked up "Kingdom Of Heavan" & "Die Hard 3"

I generally prefer 2:35 movies to 1:85. I find they look better overall on my 61' Samsung

#6 of 34 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 04:09 AM

Although it isn't listed as part of this offer, I have seen reports of Edward Scissorhands working for people.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#7 of 34 PerryD

PerryD

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 05:11 AM

Amazon Card holders, don't forget the $5 DVDSAVE5 coupon. I cancelled my earlier order and placed a new one, final price is $8.68 each:
Subtotal of Items: $55.90
Shipping & Handling: $3.97
BN Promotion Applied -$5.59
Super Saver Discount -$3.97
Promotion Applied -$5.00
Promotion Applied -$27.95
------
Total for this Order: $17.36

#8 of 34 Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 06:37 AM

Just picked up X3, Day After Tomorrow, Planet of the Apes, and Night at the Museum.

#9 of 34 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 06:47 AM

Ha! My copy of Die Hard(1) just came in from the DVD Planet sale last week, and I still haven't opened it. I had already cancelled the copy of Die Hard2 I ordered with it, but I didn't have the sense to take them both off the order.

Also, If I hadn't rented the Fly a couple weeks back, and just watched From Hell last night I might be more inclined to go nuts here.
I'll have to mull it over a little- getting the 10% discount off the second title makes these sales compelling even when the title selection isn't.

#10 of 34 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 09:03 AM

Amazon is really digging into my wallet this season:

Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Die Hard With A Vengeance
The Day After Tomorrow
Broken Arrow
Rising Sun

If I were married, my wife would be kicking my ass right about now.......but since I'm not, I'll just happily go about my spending spree. Posted Image
Recently watched- Quadrophenia, Armored, Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol, Arrow: Season 1, The Road, Hanna, The Rock, Fist Of Legend, 48 Hrs., Psycho III, Predator 3D, Gravity 3D, G.I. Joe: Retaliation 3D, The Monster Club, Death Valley, The Edge, Night Of The Comet, The Lone Ranger(2013)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Beauty and The Beast: Season 2

"Class isn't something you buy. Look at you, you've got a 500 dollar suit on and you're still a low life."

#11 of 34 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Advanced Member

• 37,399 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 09:14 AM

I'm sort of glad I didn't get that 10% early adopter's bonus at Amazon because I know I would have spent a whole lot more money than I needed to. It's just easier to rationalize a purchase decision when the HDM is $9 or under per title, but if it's over $11 or $12, then the costs add up more and now I just don't get a title just because it's in HDM and cheap as I have a decent sized SD collection (over 950, maybe over 1000) that is now just collecting dust (I even gave away many of the SD DVD titles that I now have on HDM for office Christmas gifts). But, it's a nice feeling to spend less than $10 on a HDM title you really want in your collection. I'm just trying to avoid what happened with SD DVD on my HDM purchases: after SD DVDs got cheap, for about 4 years I got in the habit of buying cheap $5 SD DVDs just because they were cheap and near the cost of a rental before I finally kicked the habit these past couple of years. Plus, I'm running out of room that I want to devote to TV/Film media in my house. I feel like I need to attend a nearby DVD-aholic Anonymous meeting, or something, at times when I get tempted to fall off the wagon with these damn BOGO deals on HDM.

That being said, I did use some Best Buy credit (returned a Christmas gift for credit a few days ago) to buy Harry Potter 5 HD DVD (mainly for the IME) and Bourne Utimatum HD DVD via BB's BOGO today. And I did falter by pre-ordering the Blade Runner HD DVD briefcase edition for release in a couple of days. But I really wanted that super-duper collection for a film that really informed my cinematic sensibilities of what good sci-fi could be in the movies at a young age for me in the early 1980's. And...
the Blade Runner release was going to happen on my birthday, so it was fate! I was compelled to order it.
Went with the HD DVD edition since the red HD DVD case suits the Blade Runner title logo and overall packaging design, and BD didn't provide anything extra over the HD DVD version. But I digress...
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#12 of 34 Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 09:41 AM

I have asked for only one type of XMas present: Future Shop gift cards. Being format neutral is nuking my finances and Amazon is NOt helping! Four more today incl Die Hard 1,2,3 and Night at the Museum.

If anyone feels sorry for me, please pmail me and I will send you my mailing address. All donations gratefully accepted. Thank you.
Peter

My Collection

#13 of 34 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 10:13 AM

Patrick, there's a lot of wisdom in what you say.
That's why i prefer not to listen to it. Posted Image
I was firmly commited to NOT ordering the Die Hards until there was a sale- but the 20% off sales coupled with store credit made me break down on the first one. I'll be sending it back though this week though (along with some other DVDs I have second thoughts about now).

What I do feel somewhat pathetic about is- even though I just saw From Hell last night, I'm still feeling tempted to order it. Even though I had the two disc dvd set sitting in my "to sell off" pile for the last 3 years. I watched that dvd a total of one time. I enjoyed the film, just have never felt a big need to watch it again...until it it got released in HD. And so I clear off a full plate of movies bought and sitting on the shelf unopened, to spin a rental of it.
I'm not very proud of that (but still feel a need to broadcast it for some reason).

On the other hand, I just got thru my main wave of Christmas ebay sales (which amounted to selling stuff I got from DD sales 2 or 3 years earlier, got some enjoyment out of, and now don't need) and was able to pay for 3/4 of all the HDMs and dvds I've bought this season.
And some of the stuff I buy this year will be the fodder for '08/'09 etc. Thats what makes this hobby a perpetual motion machine for me.
In fact, I just sold off my set of the three Die Hards in the Five Star sets. Based on what I got for that + the average cost of $11 in this sale, it's costing me a grand total of $18 to upgrade the three films to HD versions.
That's for all three films.

I finish typing that out, and it makes me want to go back and order a bunch of other stuff now.

Make hay while the sun shines- there are going to be many weeks ahead where there won't be any deals whatsoever, and that extra 10% is going to be a distant memory. Buying is going to slow down quite a bit for a lot of people at that point.

oh and uh, I don't know why its on the hush hush but
Happy birthday in advance

#14 of 34 Paul.S

Paul.S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted December 16 2007 - 05:04 PM

Am I not supposed to largely be buying stuff for other people at this time of year?! It cracks me up that Amazon has adopted the vernacular and is calling this a "BOGO."

Just recently, after reviewing supps on the SDs of Speed, Die Hard, From Hell and Terminator, I'd decided that the only way I would get these titles on BD would be via a sale. I'm annoyed with Fox' MSRP when they are routinely omitting significant supps from the standard def on their BDs (including the remarkable 40-page treatment Cameron wrote for Terminator).

Too bad no Cast Away.

#15 of 34 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,449 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.S
Am I not supposed to largely be buying stuff for other people at this time of year?! It cracks me up that Amazon has adopted the vernacular and is calling this a "BOGO."
Yeah that is pretty funny. I've now learned to speed read any page for BOGO.

But shouldn't it be BOGOF?

#16 of 34 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 02:22 AM

Quote:
Amazon Card holders, don't forget the $5 DVDSAVE5 coupon. I cancelled my earlier order and placed a new one, final price is $8.68 each

Thanks for alerting us to that! I e-mailed Amazon Customer Service, which is excellent by the way, and they credited me $5 on my initial BOGO order. Then I proceeded to place two more orders! Posted Image

Quote:
It cracks me up that Amazon has adopted the vernacular and is calling this a "BOGO."

Actually, I think that this is pretty standard retail vernacular. The Payless Shoe Store by the place where I get my hair cut always has a sign in their window that reads "BOGO". Those sales are not quite as exciting as these to me. Posted Image

The Jackal

#17 of 34 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,792 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 10:07 AM

No player of any HD format yet, but couldn't resist anymore anyway. Posted Image Finally bought Die Hard (on any format at all in large part for the wife Posted Image) to go w/ X-Men 3 for the BOGO and Blade Runner: Final Cut on 5D BD, making use of the DVDSAVE5 coupon (and the $30 back deal on a new Amazon card). Posted Image Plan to limit myself to BD for now...

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#18 of 34 LarryH

LarryH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted December 17 2007 - 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Actually, I think that this is pretty standard retail vernacular. The Payless Shoe Store by the place where I get my hair cut always has a sign in their window that reads "BOGO". Those sales are not quite as exciting as these to me. Posted Image

Since Payless floods the airwaves with their so-called BOGO ads, I just cannot help screaming that that they always have a buy one get one half off sale, so they should not be allowed to call them BOGO when they are really BOGOHO Posted Image.

Anyhow, these real BOGO sales are killing me, especially when there are so many titles for which I already paid the full (discounted) price.

#19 of 34 Jari K

Jari K

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted December 18 2007 - 01:52 AM

The sale seems to be still active. I picked up 4 titles a few days ago and perhaps I´ll pick up 2 more.. Damn, I soon have all the Fox/MGM-titles I want at the moment. I even got AvP! Posted Image I love HD, thanks Amazon!

#20 of 34 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted December 18 2007 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.S
Am I not supposed to largely be buying stuff for other people at this time of year?!

I know! While everyone in our family will be getting their presents, I've bought so many sales discs in this month its absurd. I will have to put the brakes on and just take a moment to get into the frame of mind to enjoy what I get for Xmas!

But BOGO FEVER is hard to resist!

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow