Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official I AM LEGEND Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
111 replies to this topic

#1 of 112 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 12:55 AM

James Bs review. He liked it and also makes the comparison to Cast Away, thinking Smith did a good job.

http://www.reelviews..._am_legend.html

#2 of 112 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,962 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 01:49 AM

Will Smith can be an exceptional actor with the right material. That's nothing new. I thought he was very well cast in this, because he can be a movie star, an everyman, and an actor all at once.

The end of the short story (which I read for the first time a month ago) is the whole point of the title. I'm not surprised Akiva fumbled the ball - the man wrote Batman and Robin (and yes, that should be on his tombstone, right next to his Oscar). I am still looking forward to the film (for Lawrence's direction and Smith's performance).
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#3 of 112 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 02:16 AM

"the man wrote Batman and Robin (and yes, that should be on his tombstone, right next to his Oscar)."

Posted Image

#4 of 112 KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 02:38 AM

Since they dropped the vampire idea that's pivotal to the original story, and the ending, apparently, I'm surprised that they retained the title. It's not like I Am Legend is a cornerstone of world literature or something. I doubt that a significant number of people are even aware of what it is and who it has influenced.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie, though, based on the trailers and reviews I've seen, plus the general power of Smith as an actor. I may even check it out in the theater just because of good timing (I usually see only 2 or 3 movies in theater per year). I'm just not expecting it to resemble my conception of I am Legend.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#5 of 112 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 14 2007 - 12:30 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "I am Legend". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "I am Legend" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 112 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 14 2007 - 12:53 AM

Does it really matter if you see this film at an IMAX theater or not?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#7 of 112 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 14 2007 - 04:55 AM

I wouldn't see it on IMAX. I would think the horrible looking CGI mutant zombies would look even worse on IMAX.

And, you're right, Kurt! Since there is practically nothing left here of the original story, why the title? Why not, "Last Man on Earth" or "The Plague" or something?

#8 of 112 Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Does it really matter if you see this film at an IMAX theater or not?

Crawdaddy

Only if you intend on seeing The Dark Knight prologue before the movie. Otherwise, the resolution in IMAX wasn't spectacular. Some of the shots just looked out of focus.

As for the film itself, I liked it. However, the way
Sam(antha) died could have been done better. I'm a dog lover and her death didn't get me emotional (cry) at all. Her actions, her loyalty reminded me of my dog and somehow her death didn't touch me.

Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#9 of 112 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 14 2007 - 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez
Sam(antha) died could have been done better. I'm a dog lover and her death didn't get me emotional (cry) at all. Her actions, her loyalty reminded me of my dog and somehow her death didn't touch me.
It worked for me and was the roughest part of the film for me.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#10 of 112 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 14 2007 - 10:41 AM

Can somebody explain the differences in the ending between the novel and this film?

Crawdaddy

#11 of 112 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,962 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 10:49 AM

Spoilers:
Crawdaddy,
In the book, the creatures are vampires and sentient. Towards the end, it becomes clear that not all monsters are equal. Some of them have found a livable cure for their condition, and have evolved into a society (that we see almost nothing of in the books). They capture Neville, and they are about to execute him (as a society...not just murder). He realizes that he has been the boogeyman to THEM (he goes around during the day and stakes vampires). It's a classic shift in perception. Neville is the monster. Neville is LEGEND to the new society, as monsters were to ours.

#12 of 112 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 14 2007 - 10:54 AM

They were about to execute him, but did they do it?

Crawdaddy

#13 of 112 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,962 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 11:08 AM

Crawdaddy,
The story ends with him about to be led out to the execution, right when he makes the realization that "I am legend."I assume they did it, but the story ends right before it.

#14 of 112 todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 01:48 PM

saw the movie and loved it.
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#15 of 112 Chris Will

Chris Will

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted December 15 2007 - 07:05 AM

Why is that every film adaptations avoids the story as in the book, it would make a great movie IMO?

#16 of 112 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 15 2007 - 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Will
Why is that every film adaptations avoids the story as in the book, it would make a great movie IMO?
However, in their opinion, it wouldn't.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

#17 of 112 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,241 posts

Posted December 15 2007 - 11:28 AM

Damn!

For two thirds of the movie the spirit of the book is captured and then it goes off in a much less interesting direction. Taken on its own terms the movie is enjoyable to watched powered by Smith's performance. As it this version of I Am Legend retreats from being something daring and settles for a conventional Hollywood style ending. And ends up becoming an entertaining movie instead of a classic one.

Too bad.

Quote:
However, in their opinion, it wouldn't.Posted Image
Too bad, because in my opinion and probably everyone who has read the book, it most definitely would.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#18 of 112 KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted December 15 2007 - 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Will

The only thing I can think of would be the difficulty in showing that the others were vampires with only Neville around. Having him directly attacked early in the film would be kind of difficult, plotwise, if you wanted to stay true to the original script. I'm sure they could pull it off, though.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#19 of 112 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 15 2007 - 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma
Too bad, because in my opinion and probably everyone who has read the book, it most definitely would.
I can't comment on the book, but I would like to know how you can quantify that those who read the book would necessarily agree with your opinion?

Crawdaddy

#20 of 112 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted December 15 2007 - 06:37 PM

Anyone notice the Batman Vs. Superman movie poster in the opening New York scenes?

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow