Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

No Country for Old Men - BD via Miramax/Disney - 3/11/08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,066 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted December 13 2007 - 04:42 AM

Link

An international HD-DVD version is likely as this was a joint Miramax/Paramount Vantage production.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 16 Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 04:54 AM

Great news! This was a fantastic film! My favorite film of the year so far!
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#3 of 16 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 04:55 AM

I'm very interested in seeing this movie, and I hope it paves the way for more Coen Brothers movies in HD.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 16 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 02:18 PM

This is definitely one title that I'm looking forward to purchasing on BD. Posted Image
Recently watched- Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3, Mad Max 2, Mad Max, Wonder Woman(1974), Batman: Year One

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

#5 of 16 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 03:26 PM

This was one of my top 5 films of the year. Really looking forward to owning it.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#6 of 16 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 11:05 PM

This one merits a blind-buy for me. A Coen Brothers noir-ish crime film (I loved Blood Simple), overwhelming positive word of mouth and the critical praise.
Death before Streaming!

#7 of 16 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted December 14 2007 - 07:11 AM

My number one film of the year, and a rare title that is a must-buy on release date for me. Roger Deakins' cinematography should look spectacular on Blu-Ray!

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#8 of 16 Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 07:11 AM

Quote:
An international HD-DVD version is likely as this was a joint Miramax/Paramount Vantage production.
Gee, I hope so. Otherwise, it's films like this that make me want to go purple.

#9 of 16 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,571 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 06:50 AM

Very cool. The release date is actually sooner than I expected. One of the best films I have seen in a long time. I can't wait to see it again!

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#10 of 16 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan^H
Very cool. The release date is actually sooner than I expected. One of the best films I have seen in a long time. I can't wait to see it again!

My sentiments exactly. I just saw this at the start of December and it was instantly one of my top films of 2007. I came out initially thinking that this was a movie I thought I should have liked more than I did. I played back so many scenes over and over in my head that this film climbed up into my top 5.
Kyle McKnight

#11 of 16 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,066 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 01:33 PM

Posted Image

Yuck. Posted Image

Maybe it'll get changed when it wins a bunch of Oscars, but I doubt it.

And why do they have the wrong heads above the names? I know they can't change the name order because of contract agreements, so why not photoshop Jones on the left and Brolin on the right to match?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 16 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
Posted Image

Yuck. Posted Image

Maybe it'll get changed when it wins a bunch of Oscars, but I doubt it.

Oh, it'll get changed alright... they'll manage to squeeze in "Winner of xxx Academy Awards, including xxxxxx" in big bold letters.

#13 of 16 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,434 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 25 2008 - 03:23 PM

Since the Oscars are on February 24, they'll probably have to settle for a sticker touting any wins rather than actually changing the art (or they'll have nothing at all about Oscar wins).

#14 of 16 Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 10:22 AM

Surely they wouldn't put out the disc with the wrong names/pictures...though that's a horrible cover any way you look at it.
Kyle McKnight

#15 of 16 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,066 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McKnight
Surely they wouldn't put out the disc with the wrong names/pictures...though that's a horrible cover any way you look at it.
Why not? Happens all the time.

#16 of 16 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 07:16 PM

Great flick. I had the (ahem) fortune of watching it on DVD a few weeks back, but am looking forward to it in HD.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow