-

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else playing HELLGATE: LONDON?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted December 11 2007 - 11:37 PM

I'm having a blast playing this game at the moment. I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews I've read so far, because the game really does "feel" like a futuristic, post-apocalyptic Diablo.

It's far from perfect, I'll grant you. There's one annoying bug where my avatar tends to get stuck in some of the "outdoor" maps and requires a reboot of the game...and it usually happens to me after I've vanquished a difficult foe, which means I have to fight it AGAIN after reboot.

I also agree with some of the reviews I read that the background "story" is kinda meaningless, the NPC dialogue is atrocious, and the "attitudes" of most of the NPCs are ludicrous (every "shop" attendant has a snide, uppity "Oh...it's YOU again" attitude when I buy and upgrade weapons and armor. I'm like: "I just singlehandedly defended a major section of London from the incoming hordes of hell while YOU just hung out in this abandoned subway station, and THIS is the thanks I get?). I also agree that there should have been a lot more variation with the scenery (enough with the subway tunnels already).

Flaws aside, Hellgate: London is a BLAST to play. There have been some difficult boss battles so far, but the non-stop loot drops never get old. My favorite part is the barrels (and other explosive items) which litter the landscape...but do NO DAMAGE TO YOU! It's great fun to slash at a bunch of barrels or oxygen tanks and watch the baddies around you get decimated while you emerge unscathed. It NEVER gets old!

I'm playing two separate games with two different character types, and the map layouts are completely different in both games, which radically increases the replay value.

This isn't meant to be a full-fledged review, I'm just curious if anyone else is enjoying the fun. I think if you loved Diablo, you'll at least really like Hellgate: London.
When she embraces, your heart turns to stone
She comes at night, when you're all alone
And when she whispers, your blood shall run cold
You'd better hide before she finds you...