Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Signature. Yay or nay?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted December 11 2007 - 06:08 PM

A friend of mine has recently discovered that I post on this forum. Her first comment after reading some of my posts was "Why do you always sign your name? What's the point?" I've never really thought about it, and do it by force of habit now, even though my name is right there in bold text next to every post I make.

Should I do this? Is it a courtesy or just a redundant annoyance? I think I may a get a complex about it now! Her kind gesture of ending every spoken sentence with her name for the following ten minutes didn't help.

Adam

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,771 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted December 11 2007 - 10:41 PM

She obviously has a problem and should seek help. Posted Image

Clint

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Screenwriter

• 2,771 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted December 11 2007 - 10:43 PM

All kidding aside, there's absolutely nothing wrong with signing your posts in this way. I still sign all my e-mails knowing full well that my name is in the inbox before the message.

#4 of 25 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,107 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 12 2007 - 12:18 AM

It's a personal trait that further distinguishes your posting style from others'.

I'm sure your friend doesn't flash a wallet photo after every comment either. But here, most posts conclude with a "signature" block with some photo or quote. What's sensible in meatspace doesn't necessarily parlay to cyberspace Posted Image

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 12:57 AM

Flip a coin if you cant decide Posted Image

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,633 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted December 12 2007 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Barratt
Her kind gesture of ending every spoken sentence with her name for the following ten minutes didn't help.

Adam

Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 05:21 AM

Seems like a really odd thing to comment on- I don't think either way is necessarily better than the other.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 12 2007 - 07:13 AM

User names (and e-mail addresses) are not always the same as actual names, nor do they always reflect what people prefer to be called. So besides being a hold-over from the days of actually writing notes and letters, signing internet posts has some practical benefit.

Your friend is an interesting example of a common phenomenon - someone who doesn't immediately see a reason for something that other people do and then dismisses it as stupid or useless. I was once driving in a rainstorm when one of my passengers made a comment about how "stupid" the people who turned on their headlights were. "I never turn on my headlights when it's rainy or foggy. I can see the road." I told him that people don't turn on their headlights to see the road, but to make sure other drivers see them. He insisted that it was still stupid, even though it was obvious that it was harder to see the cars without headlights.

Usually when I see a lot of people doing something that I don't immediately understand, I ask myself, "What am I missing" before I ask myself (or someone else), "What's wrong with those people?" Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino
Usually when I see a lot of people doing something that I don't immediately understand, I ask myself, "What am I missing" before I ask myself (or someone else), "What's wrong with those people?" Posted Image
That's stupid.

--
H

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 09:37 AM

I posted over at Television Without Pity (then MBTV) for a couple of years before I started here and they have a strict policy against signing posts so I just got into the habit of never signing any of my posts.

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,397 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted December 12 2007 - 09:43 AM

It can get confusing too.

Burt

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,299 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 12 2007 - 04:59 PM

I never really understood the point, since it is rather redundant, but it doesn't harm anybody either. At this point my brain just filters it out when people do it.

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,553 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
That's stupid.
Posted Image
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Marianne

Marianne

Supporting Actor

• 855 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 02:08 AM

Quote:
Your friend is an interesting example of a common phenomenon - someone who doesn't immediately see a reason for something that other people do and then dismisses it as stupid or useless. I was once driving in a rainstorm when one of my passengers made a comment about how "stupid" the people who turned on their headlights were. "I never turn on my headlights when it's rainy or foggy. I can see the road." I told him that people don't turn on their headlights to see the road, but to make sure other drivers see them. He insisted that it was still stupid, even though it was obvious that it was harder to see the cars without headlights.

I don't know about other States, but in Florida it is a legal requirement to have your lights on if your wipers are on.

If everyone stopped signing their forum posts there would be a lot more room on the internet!

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
I never really understood the point, since it is rather redundant, but it doesn't harm anybody either. At this point my brain just filters it out when people do it.

I agree- to me it seems redundant and unnecessary, but I ususally don't even notice.

Where I do notice it is when I get internal emails- but again, while I understand it's a habit that formed when the person used to write letters, it's not something I agonize over.

Quote:
Your friend is an interesting example of a common phenomenon - someone who doesn't immediately see a reason for something that other people do and then dismisses it as stupid or useless.

We don't know that; the friend may have just been curious.

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,865 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted December 13 2007 - 09:51 AM

I don't see a problem with it, but maybe she'd accept your signing your posts more if you made it a palindrome:

Quote:
Should I do this? Is it a courtesy or just a redundant annoyance? I think I may a get a complex about it now! Her kind gesture of ending every spoken sentence with her name for the following ten minutes didn't help.

Madam, I'm Adam

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 09:08 AM

It looks like I'm stuck with the signature. I thought I'd try making a few posts without it just to see how it felt, but I ended up putting it there anyway (not quite subconsciously, but verging on it)! Strange, as I usually post without it outside the HTF.

Adam

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 11:03 PM

Adam,

It's more, I think, than just "letting people know the identity of the writer".

As an example: when I would write a letter to my late mother, she'd probably know long before she reached the end where my name was who the letter was from. (1) At the back of the envelope (absolutely necessary, especially on letters to women, or else they may accidently tear the letter apart while opening the cover to find out who it's from), (2) the words "Dear Mom" narrowed the possibilities considerably, (3) several cues during reading, (4) finally expecting a letter by me anyway.

Sometimes the name or names of other parties are added to signify the fact that it's on behalf of not just the one writer. On typed letters, it's often the only part done by hand.

And it's not just meant to identify the writer: it's also a way of "formally" taking (at least some) responsibility for the text as written.
"I have said".

Cees

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Brandy S

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted December 16 2007 - 06:44 PM

Nope, it's pretty dorky to sign your posts. They aren't emails or any kind of formal letter. Most people don't even care who posts what.

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,201 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 17 2007 - 04:43 PM

i often find that i look through a topic to see who made the post, this helps me decide who's posts i actually read.

for awhile i thought it was a requirement that anyone named steve must sign off with... -Steve

this is because almost everyone named steve signed off that way.

i'm not bothered by those signing off with their name, although it does seem redundant.
facebook.com/whotony

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow