Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disc problems with TV shows on DVD sets using Scanavo cases

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#41 of 183 OFFLINE   DanMel

DanMel

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 07:22 AM

When Hogan's Heroes Season 2 was new and I got it the day it was released in 05 the marks were not noticable enough for me to send them back to Amazon. I ussually send any box sets back to amazon that are not perfect regardless if the discs play alright or not. The discs were able to scan into my computer for backup copies using dvdshrink. Now the discs in season 2 are horribly scarred and are way beyond any couldy issue as my pictures posted yesterday clearly show and will not scan using dvd shrink. Until yesterday the discs have not been out of the cases since the day they were released in 05 when I made up backup copies for them in 05. The next thing I am going to do is run a Nero scan disc for errors on the marked discs and compare them to scans of the discs in season 2 with no marks. Discs 2 and 5 for Hogan's heroes season 2 are perfect and flawless. Discs 1, 3, and 4 are horribly marred with what looks like the disc deteriating and not a cloudiness issue. When I first took them out of the case yesterday, I could see a very faint oil outline of the same patterns on the case it's self that have now disappeared on the case since yesterday. I do not make backup copies of all my tvshows on dvd but Hogan's Heroes is my favorite number 1 show of all time and I did make copies of those so that I could view the backup's and keep the originals prestine in the case, which did not happen.

#42 of 183 OFFLINE   Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 07:38 AM

Danmel, It almost sounds like from what you are saying that it may be more of a disc issue than a case issue. Is that your suspicion? If you took the disc out and the oily feeling on the case went a way; it sounds like a disc issue unless it is the reaction of the disc with the plastic of the case. I'm going to look at a few of my sets tonight to see what is going on with them.

#43 of 183 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 07:51 AM

I just realized that I have BOTH the Brady Bunch: The Complete Series set and 2 individual season sets so I'm able to do a comparison. I had the individual season 4 and 5 sets in a box with some other dvds that I planned to take to a used dvd store to trade for store credit since I no longer needed them now have the complete series. The complete series discs came in cardboard holders and they DO NOT have any cloudiness issues. All the individual 4th and 5th season set dvds came in scanavo in the plastic holders, and they have some kind of cloudiness effect to them (some have cloudy spots and some cover the whole disc like a smoky effect), so that proves to me that it is the cases and is not a disc manufacturing problem. EDIT: I would like to add that I do not notice any particularly "oily" cases, but something is happening to the discs.
"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#44 of 183 OFFLINE   DanMel

DanMel

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 08:06 AM

I am almost sure that it is a chemical reaction between the discs and the cases. I think someone posted on one of the threads that they put all of their discs in a cd slip case directly after buying the sets and that they were all fine. This will be the case for me from now on.

#45 of 183 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,777 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted December 12 2007 - 08:14 AM

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath because this thread seems to have turned into a panic. I can understand people being worried but this problem is related to a very small number of sets (and that assumes that the problem does originate with the cases). If your case isn't oily, it doesn't seem like you have anymore to worry about then you do with any of your other DVDs.

#46 of 183 OFFLINE   Phantom

Phantom

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 07:09 PM

My disc 7 has very bad circular striations. It's pretty much as bad as the other 6. Disc 5 & 6 don't even load up anymore. My Scanavo cases don't feel oily at all either. When i got my HG-WT Season 3 set (1/9/2006), all the discs were examined and played fine. This is a check i do for all my discs, as DVDPacific have a window of about 10 - 15 days in which defective items may be returned for an exchange. As i said, all discs in this set 'were' fine. I've checked all the other titles i have which use Scanavo cases, and everything is ok. It just seems to be, for me anyway, Have Gun Will Travel S3.

#47 of 183 OFFLINE   Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted December 12 2007 - 11:52 PM

I finally opened my HGWT Season 3 last night, and some of the discs are indeed in pretty bad shape except for #7 which is pristine. I however did play disc six all the way through without a glitch, and it was the worst looking disc of the lot. My cases were not in the least bit oily. If I had to guess the problem is totally with the discs themselves. The case seems to be totally normal.

#48 of 183 OFFLINE   Kevin L McCorry

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 12:10 AM

I think it's definitely a case problem. Disc contacts with case, and chemical reaction occurs. I found an incipient instance of the same effect occurring on disc 7 of Mission Impossible S2. Another disc with the clear plastic Scanavo case. Should have trusted my instincts and chucked the cases for superior Alphas, though being sick of sleeveless cases on my shelf and unwilling to spend on bulk Alpha case order, I opted to hold off. Scanavo cases have always been rubbish anyway in my experience. Network DVD in R2 uses the Scanavo 3-disc case steadfastly, and extracting discs are a royal pain.

#49 of 183 OFFLINE   John H Ross

John H Ross

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 06:15 AM

Buggering hell, I just checked my Dempsey And Makepeace sets (from Network) and they are indeed Scanavo cases! Great... Then again the episodes were butchered before they even came close to a plastic case so...

#50 of 183 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,351 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 13 2007 - 07:33 AM

Any film sets with these? I believe the Jerry Lewis boxset was in thin cases and from Paramount.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#51 of 183 OFFLINE   DanMel

DanMel

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 11:15 AM

I have the vol 1 of Martin and Lewis (the black and white years) and it does not use slim cases but is in one of those open folding cases. Not sure about Vol 2 as that is the later color movies and I don't own that set. I think that the Martin and Lewis set may be the only Paramount movies I own as all the other paramount movies I own are released by Universial. I never had a problem with ANY Universial disc going bad or not playing and I own nearly every 30-40's movie box set released by them. The DVD-18's are a none issue with me as I own a hundred of them and everyone plays perfect and is able to be ripped to the hard drive perfectly. That problem seems to more a dvd player compatability issue with dvd-18's more so than anything else. I would recommend a good high quality Sony player for people have trouble playing dvd-18's.

#52 of 183 OFFLINE   BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 05:51 PM

Sorry to sound ingnorant but what the hell is disk rot and what causes it?Posted Image
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

#53 of 183 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,351 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 13 2007 - 07:53 PM

Interesting about the DVD18's. I had problems with Knight Rider, Abbott & Costello and Ma & Pa Kettle. I tried hese on a Sony (this model no longer works now), a Phillips, a Pioneer, a Sony PS2, a Panasonic (imported GameCube/DVD player with mirror, no longer working) and my computer and they did not work. The Martin & Lewis were in digipacks but the solo Jerry Lewis films as collected in a boxset had double thin packs. I have my DVDs in sleeves now and they seem ok but I would be worried about these if they were in the case. Should a separate thread be created on the film board?
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#54 of 183 OFFLINE   Jeff-Wooten

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 11:19 PM

I checked my Andy Griffith Show dvds with the Scanavo cases (as far as I can tell, Seasons 3-8 out of the entire eight volumes) and (knock on wood), they appear fine. However, I checked S1 of Image's Dick Van Dyke Show, and all five discs had the oily/waxy stains on the playback side mentioned in this thread. These were single-disc NexPak cases. I had no playback issue (only had time to see if it loaded up properly), but these stains were on the disc. I'm dreading looking at the discs in the other four sets. Question: Does flipping the DVD during storage offer a viable solution? These slimpacks are very slim, and appears to be just as tight a fit.

#55 of 183 OFFLINE   redbird

redbird

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 12:06 AM

For what it's worth I watched all of "Brady Bunch" season 4 which used Scanavo cases and had the cloudiness problem-all eps played fine. Hopefully other people with the same problem will have similar luck because nobody wants to buy the same stuff over again when there are plenty of other shows needing to be boughtPosted Image
Death to double sided DVDs!

Hey Sony-continue our old shows or farm them out already!

#56 of 183 OFFLINE   redbird

redbird

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 12:30 AM

For what it's worth I watched all of season 4 of "Brady Bunch" (which came in Scanavo cases and had the cloudiness problem). All eps played well. Hopefully most people with this problem will be as lucky. I just hope that now that I've tossed those cases the cloudiness problem doesn't worsen.
Death to double sided DVDs!

Hey Sony-continue our old shows or farm them out already!

#57 of 183 OFFLINE   Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 01:37 AM

It will be interesting to see in five to ten years whether any of these discs will still play. In the scheme of things, DVD technology is really not that old. How do we know if the composition of these things will stand the test of time. Until I see some definite proof, I'm unfortunately in the camp that thinks that it is the discs themselves that are decomposing and that it has little or nothing to do with the cases. I think that some of the companies that manufacture these discs have used some shoddy materials or cut corners in some way and the discs are starting to rot or decompose. If these discs are manufactured in China, that could be part of the problem.

#58 of 183 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,645 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 04:25 PM

So at this point it seems we have no real consensus on what the problem is. I think a good case can be made for both ideas (disc vs. casing). I'd still like to get a few more samples in to compare all this to. But the good news is that in most circumstances the discs are still playing. Gary "I guess the obvious concern would have to be about them playing down the road a year or more from now" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#59 of 183 OFFLINE   BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted December 14 2007 - 06:32 PM

Ok I think I know what your talking about now, and I honestly dont think it the cases themselves but the packaging and shipping packing. Two sets NCIS s4 and Wild Wild west s3, same style plastic dvd case , but NCIS set had zero arms of the plastic center broken , WWW s3 all the plastic centers on all six disk had broken center spinal arms. Difference? WWW s3 has a noticeable tighter card board outer slip case, in fact its a bear to get any one of the three case out of the card board slip case, the NCIS set the individual case slip out rather easily. Plus I think there stuffing way to many dvd set into the shipping boxes coming up for Mexico (were most dvds are assemble these day) cause allot of crush damage to the cases and dvd's themselves. I got s2 of Have Gun Will Travel , beside a really appalling decline in the video transfer quality between s1 and s2 (s2 some of the night scenses are so grainy there almost unwatchable) there was noticeable evidence of crush damage to the set and again a insanely over tight card board slip case. I serious think it studios cutting coroners on packaging and shipping that causing the vast majority of the damage to dvd sets. Thats my two centsPosted Image
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.

#60 of 183 OFFLINE   DanMel

DanMel

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted December 15 2007 - 11:45 AM

Your theory might work if it were not for the fact that the Hogan's heroes sets were near perfect when they arrived to me as I pre-ordered each one when it came out. The boxes sat on the shelf without ever being moved or touched for 2 years and now are are a horrid mess with paste like spots all over them that looks to be the plastic from the dvd decaying. I can assure you that this is not a matter of the dvd's moving around in the cases. Just leave your Wild Wild West dvd's in the cases for another two years and see if anything happens to the discs. Wild Wild West came out a long time after Hogan's Heroe's season 2 and hasn't had enough time for the chemical reaction to take place yet but be patient on it and leave them sit around for a couple of more years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users