Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help on HD audio connections

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Todd K

Todd K

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted December 10 2007 - 09:57 AM

So through basic research, it seems like stereo receivers that can decode DTS-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD are still kinda new and expensive.

On the Dolby page here: http://www.dolby.com....HD_avrs_2.html

It says : If your A/V receiver is equipped with 5.1 or 7.1 external audio inputs, the selection of an optical player equipped with 5.1- or 7.1-channel line-level outputs will provide full-bandwidth reproduction of the audio signal originating from your HD player.

This is what I'd probably have to do. However, my receiver only has 5.1 inputs. And most receivers I've seen only have 5.1 inputs. And the Blu Ray player a friend has only has 5.1 outputs.

So what happens if I want to hear 7.1 in a high res format? How would the signal be processed? Does it even matter? (In other words, are there even 7.1 discs out there?)

Thanks for looking.

Todd

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 10 2007 - 10:48 AM

I've heard of one title, that is 7.1, but don't remember what it was.

If you only have 5.1 analog inputs, I don't know of any options of getting 7.1, through the analog inputs, short of buying another receiver or amp, that has them.

Not all HD-DVD or Blu ray players (ps3) have the analog outputs. So, that's something to watch for. You're also supposed to get the HD audio over HDMI, with receivers like the Onkyo TX-SR605 or higher. The 605's price isn't bad at all.
http://www.amazon.co....activeda669-20
May can find it even cheaper..............
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Todd K

Todd K

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted December 10 2007 - 02:28 PM

I guess my next question would be, what happens to those other two channels if you use the analog outputs? I think my friend's Blu-Ray player only has 5.1 output.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 10 2007 - 04:03 PM

If it's a 5.1 movie, I guess the other two channels are ignored.
The other two channels will only get used in a 7.1 movie, unless they are matrixed into the soundtrack. I'm not sure you can set it to matrix the other speakers (Dolby Pro Logic IIx), while using the analog inputs.

I don't have a setup like this, so I'm not speaking from experience. Trying to remember all I've read, and just work it out in my mind. Maybe someone with the setup will chime in, and give details.............
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...