What's new

Kosher Coke, or Mexican Coke made with real suger cane (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just curious about this. I drink Pepsi myself and not the diet kind. I am not overweight or Jewish!

What I find interesting is that around Passover time, there is a version of Coke available that is made with real cane suger instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup. I've been doing some research over the years and HFCS is bad stuff, but then I'm addicted to Pepsi.

So I ws really interested in finding some Coke, or Pepsi made with real sugar cane, like when I was a kid. My friend has tried it and he feels there's a definite difference. It's smoother and not as sickly sweet as Coke made with HFCS. And I like that it does not contain HFCS.

Now I learn that Costco is selling Mexican Coke, essentially, the same as Kosher Coke, made with real suger cane.

So has anyone tried this Coke? What do you think, where can it be bought the rest of the year, and I wonder how long Costco will carry it? I plan to try it. Want to discuss this?

Opps, I tried to change the thread title but couldn't, it might appear that I am discussing cocaine, which I am not!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, all Coke products are Kosher, but Kosher for Passover Coke is only available usually the month before Passover because the HFCS is a corn derivative and thus not permissable during Passover.
So to all you non-Jews, please leave the Kosher for Passover Coke for those of us who actually need ("need" being a relative term considering Coke is a staple to some and not to others) to buy it during Passover. If your store has some in stock after Passover, feel free to buy it then. :)
I've never seen Mexican Coke before. Is it really bottled in Mexico, or is just one of those experimental flavors that they try every once in awhile?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
nolesrule said:
I've never seen Mexican Coke before. Is it really bottled in Mexico, or is just one of those experimental flavors that they try every once in awhile?
I have, in the hispanic foods aisle along with the fruit drinks in spanish that I can't read. usually the coke is in smalish bottles, 12oz or so I'd guess.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Hmmm...
There is a mexican meat market in town that I used to go to late at night with some buddies. Ususally we were there to get some late night munchies (mmm, burritos). Everytime I went I would pick up a handful of pepsi that was sold in glass bottles. Being born in 85' I dont get to see these very often as cans and plastic bottles were already the norm. For some reason it tasted fantastic. Was never sure why. I thought maybe cause it was in a glass bottle. I still have some of those empty bottles in my pantry.
Were these Pepsi's manufactured with cane sugar instead of the HFCS? Hmmm...
Sure tasted good. :)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
nolesrule said:
So to all you non-Jews, please leave the Kosher for Passover Coke for those of us who actually need ("need" being a relative term considering Coke is a staple to some and not to others) to buy it during Passover. If your store has some in stock after Passover, feel free to buy it then. :)
NO NO NO!
Buy it by the truckload. Coca Cola needs to know that there's a demand for it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, I buy my Dr. Pepper with pure cane sugar, and it's certainly a cleaner taste than regular Dr. Pepper. I'd love to find Coke like that. I'm not Jewish, but I'm afraid I'll have to grab a pack of it if I see it.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I had the sugar cane Coke when I was in Mexico several years ago. I have to say I could enjoy it here in the States. I find regular Coke (and just about all "regular" soft drinks) here to be far too sweet for my palate.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Jones Soda uses cane sugar in certain flavors if you're not wholly committed to Coke. Plus it has funky flavors like Sweat (though I don't know if it has HCFS). :)
Dublin Dr. Pepper uses the cane as well.
Having tried the Mexican Coke I can say I prefer it to the HCFS version.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I buy the Mexican Coke whenever they have it at Costco. It's the real south of the border product with an American nutritional label slapped on each bottle. I much prefer the taste to regular Coke and I like getting the glass bottles as well.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
For all of you wanting to try it, Kosher for Passover Coke and Diet Coke are the only products they sell that are kosher for Passover (not sure why with the Diet Coke). It's only available just before and during Passover and only in 2-liter bottles. It is designated with a yellow cap as opposed to the normal colored 2-liter caps on those products, and I believe it contains a kashrut certification symbol on the cap.
And Jeremy, the reason I ask for non-Jews to wait until after Passover to buy it is because it usually sells out very quickly in most markets. There have been some years that it was sold out in our area 2 weeks before Passover...which is before zI do my Passover shopping. So please be kind to us Jews who need a Coke fix and cannot get it during Passover any other way.
If you really need a Passover product, buy the matzah, which seems to be over-produced every year. If you've never made /htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif matzah brei, you're in for some good eats (as opposed to Good Eats(TM).)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Cool responses, thanks!
The other thing about this topic that I found interesting is as I understand it, the United States is the only place in the world that makes colas and soda pop with HFCS. The rest of the world uses sugar. Is this really true? The amount of soda sold in the US is huge, so they save on the cost of manufacturing by using the cheaper HFCS. But isn't the US the only place that has the obesity problem too? And that is due to the HFCS.
The local Costco here I am told has the Mexican Coke, so I'll try to grab a case and try it. And it won't deplete the Kosher Coke stock if they keep selling it.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
nolesrule said:
And Jeremy, the reason I ask for non-Jews to wait until after Passover to buy it is because it usually sells out very quickly in most markets. There have been some years that it was sold out in our area 2 weeks before Passover...which is before zI do my Passover shopping. So please be kind to us Jews who need a Coke fix and cannot get it during Passover any other way.
Is "kosher for Passover Coke" primarily a charitable venture, or is it a commercial one?

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Coca Cola USA a charitable venture? I highly doubt it. Making it for Passover just ensures that their product stays in front of Jewish customers. Strictly a marketing decision IMHO. BTW, I first heard of Passover Coke from NPR and I had to try it and it is yummy. Alas, I've never found it here in the DC area but I will check my local Costco and see if they have the Mexican version.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Yeah, definitely a marketing decision, but one I and many others appreciate. There are a lot of products out there that are kosher but not kosher for Passover, due to containing certain grains or derivatives from those grains that cannot follow the much more strict procedures required for Passover.
I'm pretty sure that most carbonated beverages that use cane sugar instead of HFCS can be kosher for Passover, but it does depend on what the other ingredients are.
As for Mexican Coke, I was searching the interweb and saw something about the bottles containing high levels of lead. Not sure how true that is.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Rings true enough that I'd rather seek out the Jewish stuff. :) I don't like 2-liters too much, though, so I probably won't deplete the supply after all.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Luckily due to where I live I enjoy mexican coke all the time - and it is awesome -
BUT -
Recently the US has been suing to allow the duty free exportation of HFCS into mexico, while the sugar farmers have been opposed...and sneakily some of the labels on the soft drinks we buy here in Mexico have changed from "azucar" (sugar, as in from a cane) to "azucares" which we've heard is code for "whatever sweetner is currently cheapest on the market, including HFCS".
so caveat emptor. Pepsi in Mexico is also superb as it is extremely sweet and a great mixer.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
For those curious about the difference, I have done a comparison with both US Coke (with HFCS) and Coke for Passover and here is my impression:

It definitely tastes not as sweet. If you have ever tried raw sugar cane, you can taste that, something lacking in HFCS coke.

The fizz is also different. I find HFCS coke to be very bubbly and strong, while I find the passover coke to have a finer fizz, not so actively bubbly, closer to a head on a beer.

I just recently had coke from other countries, Mexico and China. Both are made with sugar and do taste like passover coke.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that Link.

But you need a $16.00 order minimum and the shipping is murder. I did an 8 bottle order and the total is $44.55. I never finalized it. I'm not sure I want to try it that bad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks