What's new

Complete Sets Vs Individual Seasons (1 Viewer)

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Just like Miami Vice, Mash, and a few other Complete series.

A few change from Double sided discs to singles, have better reviews extras etc.

What do you like better. Waiting for the Complete set. Get mad when you find out after buying all seasons that a Complete set is out?

For me I sold 5 individual sets cause of Double sided discs, Hearing of a complete series, Individual seasons coming out again with the probs fixed ie double sided to singles.

I got upset when I couldn't buy any KING OF QUEENS sets where I lived so I awaited on the news of the complete set. Bought it.
Same with SEINFELD but never bought into it. Then bought the complete set.

Some have said in another topic they just get mad when they've purchased all seasons then that series comes out better in a complete package, etc......

But not all series do that. Im hoping Cheers and Frasier don't come out with a complete box set.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Just read the 2 topics on Magnum PI seasons.

I had only 1 season. That season was the first season and gave me tons of problems. I couldn't return it so I traded it in for almost nothing and bought it again. Then later sold it again hoping for a complete series release.

Some are better in a way the other way single seasons cause you may not like all. As one poster said.

Gilligan's Island, came out again with all 3 seasons together but they are all still double sided. wonder why they never single sided them.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Because they most likely built them out of excess inventory. Much more expansive to replicate new discs.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I waited for Twin Peaks to get the complete season treatment since they were holding out on various elements - including the pilot film. I also held out on Dr. Katz since i thought they were pretty expensive for small disc releases (easier to Netflix).

I prefer to get the season sets when they have the buy one get one free deals.

Do wish they wouldn't go too nutty with the packaging. Things do have to fit on the shelf. And it seems like the more insane the design, the higher odds the DVDs get screwed up - like glue from the sleeves getting on the disc and scratches from the people handling them.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think Miami Vice is the only season I'm buying as a complete series set, simply due to the single sided sets disks. I would definitely purchase a complete series set of Magnum PI and A-Team if only they would do away with the double sided sets ...

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
When I saw the size and price of the ANGEL complete set, considering its cost is LESS than how much I paid for 2 of the 5 seasons individually when they were originally released, I was royally pissed. So I still have those big ugly digipaks, but keep the discs in a large 128-capacity CD binder along with the complete Deep Space Nine and recent The O.C. set.

The O.C. is a show I wanted as it was released but was too expensive. Then I get that beautiful book the complete set is in, with a 16:9 version of season 1, and it's great. As I said I don't keep the discs in the book though, because I'm scared to leave them in there in case they fall out when reading the contents.

It just depends on what show you like to collect - sometimes you get burned, sometimes not.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I prefer single season sets. Easier to spread the cost around then. For example I've been collecting Scrubs. Spent about $200 on it. Couldn't do that in one hit, but $40 or so every six months I can do.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There are some shows I would buy complete sets on if they redid the errors from the individual season sets.

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
I've gone off complete sets unless I had no previous single releases of the particular show to begin with.
I constantly read people having problems with complete sets: loose discs, scratched discs, discs that don't play, flimsy packaging, damaged packaging etc.
Best just to buy the single volumes-at the right price.
I decided against X-files Ultimate Edition and just went for the single volumes, same with Seinfled, Stargate SG-1.
I sold off my Alias single sets to buy the Rambaldi Edition way back and boy what a disaster was that release.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
i felt like I got burned collection by the season, so I wont anymore. The few shows I still collect I'll continue, but I wont be starting any other series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks