Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Loud Disc Drive on XBOX 360

Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Ennsio

Ennsio

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted December 07 2007 - 03:59 AM

My friend just bought an XBOX 360 recently to upgrade from his regular XBOX and was telling me last night that the 360 is very loud when it is playing the game disc. He says it sounds like a helicopter.

Is a loud disc drive a common issue with the 360? Is there any way to make it quieter?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,522 posts

Posted December 07 2007 - 07:07 AM

good question, my son's 360 will occasionally do the same thing....
It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink:

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted December 10 2007 - 05:27 AM

Yes,it is a common issue with the 360. Mine is loud as well. However, once you get into the game you're playing you don't really notice it, or at least I don't! Not nearly as quiet as my stand alone dvd player. Thats why I only play games on it and don't use it to watch movies. To my knowledge, there is no way to make it quieter. If you do come across a way to make it quieter, please post a thread on it!
Gary Shipley

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   TonyTone

TonyTone

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted December 10 2007 - 06:12 AM

Mine is starting to get a bit too loud; my concern is that the noise isn't more along the lines of the where the lens is doing lots of reads or the disc is just constantly spinning, but more along the lines that it sounds like the spindle/hub/whatever it's called is generating noises as if it's starting to wear out or as if something is out of balance. Heck--at one point it even generated a "cannot read disc" error after a long and noisy stretch, at which point I had to eject/reload the disc and reboot. Methinks the spindle motor might be going bad...

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted December 10 2007 - 11:43 AM

Mine runs more quietly when placed on its side than when it is standing upright. It also seems to run a bit smoother. This isn't a dramatic change, but it is noticeable.

Unfortunately, I have yet to hear of one that isn't kind of loud. It doesn't bother me when I'm gaming, but watching HD DVDs can sometimes be a bit annoying during quiet passages.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles