What's new

Sex and the City : The Movie (aka. God Help Us!) (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
My wife loves the show and watches it constantly. However, she isn't so jazzed about the prospect of a movie. The series wrapped up its storylines pretty satisfactorily and she doesn't feel there's a whole lot of avenues to explore. I have to agree.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Some of us won't have to be dragged."

Yea my G/F understands theres just some movies I just will not see and I dont have a problem saying No to her.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I will go next summer, if my woman goes to see I am Legend with me next week! :)
Really, the show isnt to bad. Sometimes you even get to see nekkid women. Course who has not seen Kim "Lassie" Cattrall by now! :)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I love the show, but even when there was talk about filming the movie immediately after the show ended (which obviously didn't happen) I wasn't sure where they'd go with it after seeing the series' last episode. Everything wrapped up nicely, and I don't see what the movie could do besides tear down everything that ended well in the series and re-wrap it up in a more unsatsifying way in a two hour film.

The last thing a fan of the show needs is anymore Carrie & Mr. Big melodrama. Of course, I'm not sure any show since The Golden Girls has had as much behind-the-scenes drama between the actors as this one, either. I tend to side with Kim Cattrall though.

I don't see the need to mention how the movie threatens your masculinity in the thread title though.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Ah come on, I'm joking around. My girlfriend talks about the show all the time, I've gotta let my frustration out somewhere :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

I'll second the comment and raise you one. I've seen every episode of the series (with the wife) and wouldn't at all mind seeing this with her.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

David,

I'll stand in solidarity with you, brother. In fact, the only reason I clicked on this thread is because I loved the title. :)

Personally, there are only two things I hate worse than terrorism: Grey's Anatomy and Sex and the City. ;)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I'll be the 5th person to say I don't need to be dragged. Looking at the culture of American media in general, there are far more representations of male friendship than female's. Sex and the City might be the only recent work that is an examination of female friendship and how it interacts with professional life. A film like The Devil Wears Prada is far more shallow; and of course the genre of romantic comedies provide no insight either. The slant towards exploring male feelings in cinema is really quite one sided. Can you imagine female viewers saying that they're "dragged" to see The Shawshank Redemption? I don't think so.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Whoa, I spoke too soon. My wife saw the teaser and is positively giddy at the prospect of the movie now. Must have been the wedding dress Carrie wears.

I still think the show wrapped up nicely and the movie doesn't have a lot of places to go. In fact, I would say that the series was one of the few in the last decade that didn't overstay its welcome and ended at the exact appropriate time. Unlike "Angel" that ended too soon or "ER" which should have quit ten years ago.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Did you just compare Shawshank Redemption as being the male equivalent to Sex and the City? I hope not. Maybe female viewers being "dragged" to Swingers or City Slickers has more bearing.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
David, seems to me you already got my point about the show/movie. I wouldn't say any of these films are equivalents, but you can certainly imagine this male list going on for a long time if we wanted it to. There's a big gulf between female and male friendship representation, that's my point.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
There's a new trailer out, for those of us who's masculinity isn't threatened to admit we liked the show.

Sex And The City - Get Carried Away

Just my first observation upon watching the new trailer. Ughhhh, oh woopty freakin'-doo, another Carrie and Big break up plot. I really hope that's a red herring merely implied by the trailer, because it is such a worn out plot device for this set of characters, and IMO would crap all over the series finale.

Though admittedly, I don't see how they could make a movie and not crap all over the series finale, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks