What's new

Speculation for Warner Bros. 85th Anniversary Celebration (3 Viewers)

Corey

Screenwriter
I can't wait to see what else is going to be released. I'm expecting sets for John Garfield, Bette Davis Vol 3, Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney Vol 2, Bogie Vol 3, Ann Sheridan, Olivia de Havilland, Errol Flynn Vol 3, Doris Day Vol 3, Kay Francis, William Powell and Busby Berkeley Vol. 2.

Also with the recent success of The Jazz Singer, I hope that opens the floodgates where Jolson's early musicals will also come out to dvd.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd like the Busbvy and Jolson sets as well. Gagney I might bite depending on the titles, same with Flynn.

Corey

Screenwriter

Virginia City, Silver River, and Edge of Darkness would seem like shoo-ins for a Flynn Vol. 3.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Considering that the same star usually gets a volume from WB in a space of 2 years, I don't think we will have box sets for Flynn, Cagney and Doris Day in 2008, though I'd love to get them.

But I think maybe second volumes for Gable, Busby Berkeley and third for Bette Davis and Bogart are on the way.

I'm very much antecipating collections for Garfield, Tracy and Ginger Rogers, though I doubt we will see sets dedicated to Olivia De Havilland and Ann Sheridan.

And where's the Eleanor Powell collection? A Jane Powell set also stands high in my wish list.

Corey

Screenwriter
I think that we could see sets to Ann Sheridan and de Havilland. I think that this with celebration, Warner will want to highlight their stars.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Gene Kelly: AMERICAN IN PARIS (2 discs); THOUSANDS CHEER, LIVING IN A BIG WAY; INVITATION TO THE DANCE, THE HAPPY ROAD/CREST OF THE WAVE, CROSS OF LORRAINE/THE BLACK HAND, PILOT #5/THE DEVIL MAKES THREE.
Ooops! These are all MGM films, but it's still a decent idea.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
85th anniversary celebration?

Has WHV commented that they would be doing something special for this? So far, it seems 2008 won't be any different than any other Warner year.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
She's an unknown actress but perhaps we'll finally get some Loretta Young. Apparently all of the major studios seem to have her blacklisted or just haven't heard of her. Or perhaps I'm the only one willing to buy a box of her films. :)

And hopefully we finally get some of their silents. This is the only thing lacking in Warner's DVD history IMO.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Michael, you're certainly not the only one craving for a Loretta Young set. I'm a big Loretta Young fan. But, in my opinion, Fox would be the best studio to deliver us some Loretta's goodies from the 30's and, of course, the classic Come to the Stable.
And it's a shame MGM, through its Selznick deal, did not released the Farmer's Daughter.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly

I really am wishing for Eleanor Powell and Ginger Rogers set! I kinda figured Warners wouldn't release a Powell set by the end of the year like they mentioned.

I'm wondering if this is the year the ShowBoat collection will be released...anybody think Jean Harlow has a chance this year of getting a set? I'm not her biggest fan but it's been long overdue!

So is this 85th Anniversary Celebration strictly Warner Brothers movies and stars or what?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
How about FINALLY getting "Twilight's Last Gleaming" out the door & on the shelves!!!!! :eek: :crazy:

Charles H

Screenwriter
Loretta Young fans will love FOUR MEN AND A PRAYER. She plays the Prayer and surprisingly despite the rather macho premise, it's really her show. Would like to see the films she made with Tyrone Power at Fox, THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL, HALF ANGEL, the wonderful COME TO THE STABLE, RAMONA, HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD, THREE BLIND MICE, WIFE, HUSBAND, AND FRIEND,KENTUCKY, CLIVE OF INDIA, THE WHITE PARADE, etc.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan of Young. Thankfully TCM has shown a lot of her lesser known films over the past month and has one on later tonight and a couple others in the next year weeks including one with Edward G. Robinson. I was hoping at least one of her films would make it in the latest Pre-Code set but perhaps Vol. 3 will be kinder.

Of all the legendary actors, directors or actresses out there, it's rather shocking that she doesn't have many titles on DVD. She's done films with various stars including Gable, Mitchum, Robinson and Cagney so some films could show up there. She was in Pre-Codes, Gang/Crime films and so on so she should be getting more attention. Not to mention her Oscar winning role isn't on DVD.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
An 85th Anniversary would be a good opportunity to launch stuff like this:

MASTERS OF MENACE: LORRE & GREENSTREET, including MASK OF DIMITRIOS (if it´s not going in a future Noir box), THE VERDICT, THREE STRANGERS, THE WOMAN IN WHITE, BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS, STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR. OK, so BEAST will probably be in a future horror box, but it would be a great selling point for this box idea.

JOEL MCCREA WESTERN COLLECTION, topped by COLORADO TERRITORY and STARS IN MY CROWN

MASTERS OF ESPIONAGE: VAUGHN & MCCALLUM, topped by THE VENETIAN AFFAIR, SOL MADRID

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
A NATALIE WOOD Collection with a 2 disc SE of "Splendor in the Grass", "Inside Daisy Clover", " Sex and the Single Girl", "Cash McCall", and the trashy but fun "All the Fine Young Cannibals"

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Will buy any Warner set devoted to Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, Doris Day, Busby Berkeley, Olivia de Havilland, Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, Alan Ladd...

Would love to see Warner musicals boxed together like The Desert Song (53), Three Sailors and a Girl (53), Shine on Harvest Moon (44), Painting the Clouds with Sunshine (51), Thank Your Lucky Stars (43), Rhapsody in Blue (45)...

Hoping we get to see the "Four Daughters" film and sequels.

Would love to see some fabulous Warner films never released on home video before:
The Glass Menagerie (50)
The Voice of the Turtle (47)
The Constant Nymph (43, dream on.........)

Sets of their MGM stars too : Jean Harlow, Esther Williams, Eleanor Powell...
more musicals and noirs

I also agree we need more Loretta Young on DVD. How about Midnight Mary for the next Forbidden Hollywood set?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see more Forbidden Hollywood and Pre Code boxsets to celebrate the very beginning of Warner Bros.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks