What's new

Is it worth upgrading from 6.1 to 7.1 (1 Viewer)

Rockaby

Auditioning
Real Name
Sedric Beasley
I have a 6.1 receiver and I'm thinking about replacing it with a 7.1 receiver and purchasing an additional surround speaker going to a total of 7 speakers with sub.

Do you think it is worth upgrading to 7.1? I can see going from 5.1 to 7.1 but; what about 6.1 to 7.1?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
um, well, depends. it's sort of like asking which sounds better between two speakers, it's personal preference and will depend on the room size and speaker layout and the speakers themselves, the avrs, the source material, etc.

there aren't too many new 6.1 avr's out there any more. the vast majority are 7.1 with a few 5.1's too. so i'd say if you're getting the new avr anyway, go ahead, but i wouldn't upgrade now if the biggest factor is the 1 extra rear surround speaker. most sources (dvd's) don't really have separate rear surround info anyway, it's all done by the processing.

is there another reason you're thinking about the upgrade now?

Rockaby

Auditioning
Real Name
Sedric Beasley
I'm going to replace my receiver that is capable of doing 7.1 and wanted to see if it would be worth it to go to 7.1 speakers. The main thing is the receiver I'm looking at the Denon Product line that had the built in calibration for speakers (Audyssey MultEQ XT Auto-Setup/Room EQ ). I'm hoping I will have a better sounding environment with this new receiver driving my speakers.

I will hold off going to 7.1 and just get the receiver. Thanks.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

Although its still a matrix I didn't want a single speaker for rear surround, though I'm sure 6.1 would do the job properly calibrated. For my room 7 speakers seem to do a better job with effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks