-

Photo
- - - - -

Is it worth upgrading from 6.1 to 7.1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Rockaby

Rockaby

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted November 30 2007 - 11:14 AM

I have a 6.1 receiver and I'm thinking about replacing it with a 7.1 receiver and purchasing an additional surround speaker going to a total of 7 speakers with sub.

Do you think it is worth upgrading to 7.1? I can see going from 5.1 to 7.1 but; what about 6.1 to 7.1?

#2 of 4 MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted November 30 2007 - 03:52 PM

um, well, depends. it's sort of like asking which sounds better between two speakers, it's personal preference and will depend on the room size and speaker layout and the speakers themselves, the avrs, the source material, etc.

there aren't too many new 6.1 avr's out there any more. the vast majority are 7.1 with a few 5.1's too. so i'd say if you're getting the new avr anyway, go ahead, but i wouldn't upgrade now if the biggest factor is the 1 extra rear surround speaker. most sources (dvd's) don't really have separate rear surround info anyway, it's all done by the processing.

is there another reason you're thinking about the upgrade now?
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#3 of 4 Rockaby

Rockaby

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 01:46 AM

I'm going to replace my receiver that is capable of doing 7.1 and wanted to see if it would be worth it to go to 7.1 speakers. The main thing is the receiver I'm looking at the Denon Product line that had the built in calibration for speakers (Audyssey MultEQ XT Auto-Setup/Room EQ ). I'm hoping I will have a better sounding environment with this new receiver driving my speakers.

I will hold off going to 7.1 and just get the receiver. Thanks.

#4 of 4 Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted December 03 2007 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaby
I have a 6.1 receiver and I'm thinking about replacing it with a 7.1 receiver and purchasing an additional surround speaker going to a total of 7 speakers with sub.

Do you think it is worth upgrading to 7.1? I can see going from 5.1 to 7.1 but; what about 6.1 to 7.1?

Although its still a matrix I didn't want a single speaker for rear surround, though I'm sure 6.1 would do the job properly calibrated. For my room 7 speakers seem to do a better job with effects.