-

Photo
- - - - -

Please recommend decent sounding piece of furniture...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 12:36 PM

I am tired of looking at the ugly black boxes I currently own. There was a time when I wanted my living room to be HT first and living room second, but no longer. I will be ditching my venerable SVS for something more discreet as well. So the criteria for my next speaker purchase will be:

1- stylish, classy, original.
2- Good sound on par with my current setup (Paradigm Monitor series). I am no audiophile but I am not willing to compromise SQ too much either. I am completely satisfied with my current setup in that regard.
3- Space limitations are pushing me toward monitors rather than floorstanders, but I could make the later work if it's the right speaker.
4- Budget is a concern.

For reference, the Norh Marble 4.0 is on my short list. $700 is more than I would like to spend for a pair of speakers, but they look absolutely gorgeous and I have wanted them for a long time:

Posted Image

Still, I may have to settle for the Ceramic version ($450).

I looked at MMGs ($550) as well but placement would be problematic, as they need to be feet away from the wall (or so I heard)

Posted Image

But I think you get the idea. I am just looking for speakers that you think look good, sound good, and priced under $1000 (I will probably spend less, but this figure gives more latitude to suggestions Posted Image )

--
H

#2 of 12 MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 02:34 PM

how about these

http://decibelchicag...et/minipod.html
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#3 of 12 Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 04:47 PM

Both on sale for $499/pr and both excellent speakers. The latter being more 2CH oriented than the former. My father-in-law has the Ref 1's and it's amazing how full a sound they produce for their size. Real rosewood veneer to boot and drop dead gorgeous. They'll easily compete with the Paradigm Studio series speakers in terms of sound quality.

As much as I love the Maggie sound, they definitely require some space to shine so will likely not be what you're looking for.

Rocket RS 450
Posted Image
http://www.av123.com....s&product=90.1

Ref 1
Posted Image
http://www.av123.com....s&product=23.1

#4 of 12 Dingiswayo

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 09:46 AM

I just got a pair of NHT Classic 3's (since I lost the B&W's - another thread) and I think they are drop-dead gorgeous. They look a little unconventional but definitely high tech (looking), somewhat along the lines of your North Mable speakers. They retail for $900 but if you look around you can get them cheaper. I missed a pair on Audiogon for $525 before I found a pair locally for $500. I'm still breaking them in but I think they sound fantastic so far. They take a bit of power to drive though. Don't buy them on sale online from Legacy Audio Video if you decide to go this route, however.

http://nhthifi.com/2...s/ht/three.html

#5 of 12 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 09:54 AM

They're boxes, but they're pretty boxes:

Swan D2.1SE: http://www.theaudioi....products_id=69

Ascend Sierra: http://www.ascendaco....SRM1/srm1.html

AV123's x-ls, x-sls or x-mtm speakers look nice and reviews, at least for the x-ls, are glowing. x-mtm could be too bassy (warm), I'm not sure about the x-sls though. The x series speakers are coming out with new metal grills. I'm not a fan, but you may be.

#6 of 12 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 03:41 PM

The $995 per pair Focal Chorus 807V, a 2-way with a 7" woofer. I've seen these in person and they are really sharp looking.

Quote:
The 807V looks stunning. Focal employed the Parisian design house of Pineau & Le Porcher to develop the attractive "V" look, which combines polished, acrylic-covered ebony with a highly figured finish of moka wood. I set the speakers on my trusty, 24"-high Celestion Si stands, which were loaded with sand and lead shot. I noticed no difference in their performance with their grilles on or off, so I left them on—the V-shaped grille is a key part of the speaker's appearance.
Posted Image

#7 of 12 Ennsio

Ennsio

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceJ
The $995 per pair Focal Chorus 807V, a 2-way with a 7" woofer. I've seen these in person and they are really sharp looking.

Not to mention the fact that they sound awesome too. I was very impressed with them, especially their tweeter.

#8 of 12 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted December 10 2007 - 02:02 AM

I happened upon the Focals the other day at Tweeters. They look nice, but that picture is quite deceiving Posted Image.

As far as pretty boxes go, The Polk LS15 look fantastic, and would be the perfect fit (preference for monitors notwhistanding, they just look awesome with the wooden side panels). Too bad they are out of my price range:

Posted Image

I've been looking at the Rockets as well, but I think tey might be a bit too redish/pinkish for me. But it's hard to truly judge that sort of stuff on a monitor.

Incidentally, "Rocket" is a horrible name for a speaker brand that purports to cater to enthusiasts. Regardless of soud quality, it sounds incredibly cheap. How hard is it to find or make up something that sounds a little (a lot) classier?

--
H

#9 of 12 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted December 10 2007 - 02:12 AM

Polk Audio's LSi9 speakers look very nice. They come in cherry............
http://www.polkaudio....ookshelf/lsi9/
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#10 of 12 Dingiswayo

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted December 10 2007 - 05:29 AM

Let us know what you finally decide on, I'm just curious.

#11 of 12 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted December 10 2007 - 08:11 AM

Sure, but a purchase is months away. Just feeling the waters for now.

I like your name. South African? Zulu? Or just a fan Posted Image

--
H

#12 of 12 Dingiswayo

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted December 11 2007 - 06:02 AM

Just a fan. You're the first and only person who knew it was Zulu. Kudos to you! Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow