What's new

Saturday Night Live: Lost & Found In The '80s (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Has anyone else noticed that Universal are releasing Saturday Night Live: Lost & Found In The 80's on March 4?I was surprised to see this,myself, as it's been around two years since this aired on television and the majority of the special is devoted to the Doumanian and Ebersole eras(or so a friend who saw this told me)...and,well,we know Lorne Michaels' attitude toward those eras of the show.If this sells well,I hope Universal will change their mind about not releasing the 1980-1985 seasons.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Yes! I caught this on a release list last week, and I was ecstatic! I was afraid I'd never get to see this special again.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
It would be nice if this too had an extra hour of interviews/clips/music like the First Five Years DVD had.

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David

They re-aired it a few months ago, right around Labor Day

It would be nice if they added some extras.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I wonder if this release will be used to judge the interest of those eras for possible full season release down the line.

Claude North

Second Unit
Count me in for this and the Doumanian and Ebersole years. For those of us not quite old enough to watch the first five seasons, these non-Michaels years have quite a bit of comedic, historical, and sentimental value.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Wasn't 80-85 the era that gave us Eddie Murphy, Billy Crystal, Joe Piscopo, post-SCTV Martin Short, et al? If so, I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to release it as I remember there being a LOT of good stuff in those years. It was the 85-87 years, when the Brat Pack populated the cast, that almost killed the show.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Yes. Eddie & Joe were castmembers from 1980-1984.Billy Crystal & Martin Short were castmembers for the 1984-1985 season,which was Dick Ebersol's last as Executive Producer.Actually,the Brat Pack were only there for one season 1985-1986.I thought that they would be funnier in SNL than they were,because of the movies they were in around the time they were on the show - Sixteen Candles,The Breakfast Club,Weird Science,etc.After that season,Lorne Michaels weeded them,and other underperforming actors out of the show,and the next season,brought in Dana Carney,Phil Hartman,Jan Hooks and others.Universal won't release the seasons with those actors because of Lorne Michaels' attitude of "Those actors weren't on the show during my tenure,so I don't want to have anything to do with that timeframe".He needs to get over his ego problem and tell Universal to release the 1980-1985 seasons.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Has anybody picked this up?I won't be able to purchase a copy until a couple of weeks,and was wondering what the featurettes are.I also searched the net for a review,but can't find one.I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I plan on picking this up. However, I am nervous that this may be the closest we'll get to seeing the Doumanian-Ebersol years on DVD. Many people, including quite a few on here, either hate those seasons or pretend they never existed. When I read people saying that they should skip to the 1986-1987 season once the 1979-1980 season is released, it breaks my heart. The Doumanian-Ebersol episodes were the first ones I was exposed to when I was a teen in the late 90s. They aired on Comedy Central and I enjoyed watching them more than episodes from when Lorne Michaels came back, and if they skip these seasons or reduce them to a best-of compilation, I'll be sad. There were some great musical guests during those years. I most remember Sparks performing "Mickey Mouse". That song was awesome.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Am I the only one who wants to see full season sets of the Doumanian-Ebersol years?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm all for full season sets of the non-Lorne years!

The featurette is a pretty lengthy set of extra interviews and clips not included in the special--it was at least 40 minutes long, and definitely worth it if you can put up with Gilbert Gottfried commenting every 30 seconds.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
There's no reason why the Ebersol years wouldn't be released. Yo'ure talking about Eddie, Joe & Julia. If the sets continue to sell then I'm be shocked if these seasons didn't come out. Why wouldn't they ?

I can understand people's curiosity but the truth is that aside from Eddie & Joe the 6th season was really bad. Revisionist history doesn't change that. Perhaps if that season does come out it will be double-pumped with another season.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
The 6th season is underrated and I really hope it's released after 79-80. For various reasons I have a fascination for that season along with the entire Ebersol era. Let's continue getting these released chronologically and don't combine seasons either.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I don't ever remember anyone connected with the release of the SNL season DVDs saying the 80-85 seasons would be omitted. Did I miss something?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
By the way - this DVD, like the First Five Years disc, DOES have an additional hour (almost) of sketches and interviews.
For both of these releases, the back cover merely describes this bonus feature as a 'featurette'. Talk about modesty!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
This reminds me of the SNL-clone Fridays and the KTMA years of Mystery Science Theater 3000 not getting releases. It's a real shame. I saw my first episode of SNL in 1979 when Richard Benjimin was host. I'll never forget it since my cousins whispered to me how cool and dirty it was. They also said I'd probably fall asleep before it came on. They did, I didn't. I couldn't believe how funny it was. I never missed it after that. And that includes much of the 80s run. I'd call another cousin on the phone and we'd watch episodes together, even the bad ones. I'll never forget the first time I saw Captain Beefheart on one of those episodes. So....we're not going to be able to relive that? Jesus Christ, why?!!

*becomes highly po'd*

By the way, I just got Season One in the mail this week. I can hardly wait to watch them again.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I'd like to see them released. I'd say buy a copy of this release to show that there's interest

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if there was ever any official word on it but supposedly Lorne Michaels is the main driving force behind the releases and aside from the occasional Eddie Murphy or Billy Crystal clip, he practically denies those early 80s seasons' existence.

I think though if there's a demand, they'll be released. If people want them enough (and most of us seem to--I'll buy any and all full season releases), they can't just go from "The Complete Fifth Season" to "The Complete Twelfth Season" and expect people not to notice.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Last time I watched a Jean Doumanian era SNL ('twas a rerun of Malcolm McDowell on Comedy Central) I found it to be the most painfully unfunny thing I'd ever seen in my life so I'm not too excited about the prospects of seeing those again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks