• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 of 77 Richard Ringenbach

Richard Ringenbach

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 11:08 AM

Does anyone know if there are and BD movies out yet having 7.1 channel surround? If so,would you let me know! I thought I heard that Pirates 3 was going to be in 7.1 channel,but from what specs I have seen lately it looks like it's only in 5.1 channel surround.

Thanks!
Richard Ringenbach

#2 of 77 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ringenbach
Does anyone know if there are and BD movies out yet having 7.1 channel surround? If so,would you let me know! I thought I heard that Pirates 3 was going to be in 7.1 channel,but from what specs I have seen lately it looks like it's only in 5.1 channel surround.

Thanks!
Richard Ringenbach

Very few movies have ever been mixed in 7.1, particularly with the lack of interest in SDDS. The vast majority are 5.1 with some having the EX matrix encoded rear center.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#3 of 77 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 01:57 PM

Hairspray was one was it not?
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#4 of 77 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Joseph
Hairspray was one was it not?

It appears that Hairspray had an SDDS mix so it would probably have a 7.1 track available. I don't know that they put the 7.1 mix on the disc.

However SDDS has a different speaker configuration than 7.1 DD true HD or DTS master audio. SDDS has 5 speakers behind the screen and 2 in the auditorium. 7.1 is actually left, right, center, side right, side left, rear right, rear left and a sub.

Also more often than not films mixed in SDDS are mixed in the standard 5.1 version because very few theaters were ever setup to play back the 8.1 speaker setup. Also Sony is no longer supporting SDDS so the likely hood of many more films being mixed in 7.1 or 8.1 are slim.

It's possible that some filmmakers will start doing a 7.1 mix for home theater, but I doubt it will be done very often.
Doug

#5 of 77 BrettB

BrettB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 04:23 PM

Look at blu-raystats.com. 10 7.1 titles according to that site. I believe it is pretty accurate.

#6 of 77 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
Look at blu-raystats.com. 10 7.1 titles according to that site. I believe it is pretty accurate.

I just did a quick scan of that list, but all of the 7.1 films seem to be from Lionsgate. In fact on that list I can't find a single 7.1 title from any other studio. I'm not real sure what that means.

Doug

#7 of 77 Scooter

Scooter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted November 29 2007 - 01:26 AM

So, conventional wisdom would dictate that no rush to 7.1 is really neccesary regards getting a new receiver.

#8 of 77 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
So, conventional wisdom would dictate that no rush to 7.1 is really neccesary regards getting a new receiver.

Honestly I think that 7.1 is a marketing ploy to get people to spend more money. While it maybe useful to have 7.1 channels in a very large theater to better define and localize the sounds, I'm not sure the they are needed in the relatively small space of a home theater.

Doug

#9 of 77 HDnuts100

HDnuts100

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 09:36 AM

I believe Crank is the only title with uncompressed 7.1 sound, also I think Lionsgate will release 3:10 to Yuma with 7.1 sound, uncompressed of course.

#10 of 77 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 09:54 AM

Quote:
Honestly I think that 7.1 is a marketing ploy to get people to spend more money. While it maybe useful to have 7.1 channels in a very large theater to better define and localize the sounds, I'm not sure the they are needed in the relatively small space of a home theater.

My room is 20x28 and benefits from 7.1 YMMV.

Crank is 6.1. But yes Lionsgate is the primary company supporting 7.1 PCM.

New Line is supporting 7.1 DTS HD/MA on both formats. Hairspray was the first title and is BR only(for now). More are coming.

#11 of 77 Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 09:59 AM

'Shoot Em Up' out in January is supposed to be 7.1 lossless also, but only DTS-HD MA.

#12 of 77 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted November 07 2008 - 02:05 AM

Here is a good list of 7.1 movies, as well as others (listed by audio tracks);
price-adjustment.com - Price Adjustment
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#13 of 77 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,828 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 07 2008 - 02:13 AM

Hellboy 2 is Uni's first in 7.1 if my memory serves me right.
Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Blu-ray Disc Review | High Def Disc News

My review will be up this weekend.

Sam

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#14 of 77 Vern Dias

Vern Dias

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 07:33 AM

When we attended the HTF Hollywood meet recently, we were hosted by the fine people at Todd-AO sound.

We all sat in their dubbing theater and a question about 7.1 mixes was asked. The response was that the standard for Hollywood films is 5.1, period.

The few 7.1 BD's that have been released were all created by re-mixing the original 5.1 tracks to relocate and spread out the tracks.

Vern

#15 of 77 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 07:54 AM

I believe Disney's new Sleeping Beauty release has a 7.1 remix.

#16 of 77 Obs

Obs

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted December 10 2008 - 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Doug

Hi all,

I am fairly new to this game. I had an old Panasonic theater-in-a-box and never really was that impressed with the 5.1. It always seemed that the surrounds weren't full enough and were more of a nuisance. Just very recently, I upgraded, bigtime. I got another theater in a box, but this is Onkyo's HT-S6100 7.1 system w/ Panasonics DMP-BD35 and using my bro's 1080p 27" LCD till I can get my 50" plasma, also going to be Panasonic. I tell you what, though. 7.1 is amazing!! I love it!! I know most of the tracks are 5.1, but with minor adjustments, the receiver and/or BD player can squeeze at least one faux back-surround. It's not like just having a front soundstage and a quiet whispering surround, it is being eveloped into the movie itself, like right there in the scene. Like in The Golden Compass when they are in the dining hall, not only is there the obvious dialog in front, but the sides produced a nice calm musical while you could hear people BEHIND you talking amongst themselves. NICE!! Not to mention the incredible detail of the 1080p! The only trouble I've had is getting it all to turn on in a decent amount of time... Sometimes up to five minutes for the tv to display anything. Also, today I opened up The Dark Knight and for some reason the receiver, which pulls the audio off of the HDMI, produced no sound and the display said "DVD FULL MONO". I tried for a half hour with all the adjustments, but still nothing. Finally I put in a movie I had already seen and it came to life. I reinstalled The Dark Knight and no problems, I even got a faux 6.1 through DolbyEx which the receiver did by all its self, no messing with the audio functions. Weird, yes. Awesome. VERY!!

Keep up the good advice. Posted Image

#17 of 77 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,848 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 11 2008 - 01:59 AM

I 've listened to a unch of these 7.1 blu's
Really haven't noticed much in the way of center rear surround
activity.
and occasional sound effect is all.

anyone think any of these 7.1's have a good center rear track?

facebook.com/whotony

#18 of 77 maverick11e

maverick11e

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted October 08 2009 - 02:47 AM

So i am extremely dissapointed in the way blu-ray is working out. I recently bought a sony blu-ray player and i was really excited, it takes a while to load but the picture is amazing. Then i noticed that some movies came in 6.1 (top gun) and i heard about 7.1 coming up, so only having a sony 5.1 receiver i decided that i needed a 7.1. so i bought a sony 7.1 surround receiver, bought matching sony speakers 4-way for the front, the center speaker, and 4 3-way speakers for the back.

It was a complete waste of money!!! nothing comes in 7.1 and the 6.1 thing is a joke, i was hoping all blu-rays would come in 7.1 but there are hardly any and i just feel like 7.1 is a rip off and i wish i hadn't invested that much money on it.

#19 of 77 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• PipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 08 2009 - 06:49 AM

And just when you thought 7.1 in the home was overkill: www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/prologic-IIz.html
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#20 of 77 David Willow

David Willow

Babbling Idiot

• PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted October 08 2009 - 07:33 AM

Why stop there...

http://www.audyssey....nology/dsx.html

/img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic