Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

3 FOX FILM NOIR titles on March 11th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#1 of 75 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 11:06 AM

Dvd Empire is listing "Black Widow", "Dangerous Crossing" and "Daisy Kenyon' for a march release. And no mentioning of Boomerang.

Anyway, can't wait for these 3. Now Fox has finally announced most of the titles listed on their Fox classics "coming soon" web page (I think the only remaining titles are The Robe and The Day the earth stood still).

I'm becoming very curious to find out what titles are to follow (particularly antecipating the rumoured second volumes for Tyrone Power and Betty Grable collections).

#2 of 75 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 12:15 PM

YESSS!!!

Thank you Fox!

I'd like to see them start re-issuing their "War Classics"... especially those starring one of my favorite actors, Richard Widmark.

#3 of 75 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,210 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 12:53 PM

DAISY KENYON's really a "woman's picture," but a gratifying Preminger release anyway.

#4 of 75 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 02:19 PM

Marco, why reissuing war tiltes that are not out of print? I have a lot of them and I'm very pleased with their transfers.

#5 of 75 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,191 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 28 2007 - 03:23 PM

Took a little while but I'm happy with this news.

#6 of 75 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,878 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 28 2007 - 05:00 PM

I don't quite understand the classifying of Daisy Kenyon as a film noir. It's a melodrama not a film noir. It's too bad that Road House or Cry of the City wasn't released instead, but that doesn't mean I'm unhappy about Daisy Kenyon. It's just not a film noir.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 75 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
DAISY KENYON's really a "woman's picture," but a gratifying Preminger release anyway.

Yeah...Dana Andrews is so damn dreamy Posted Image

One of the most underrated film noir leading men IMO. (not buying into the debate as to whether Daisy Kenyon constitutes being labeled film noir)

#8 of 75 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 05:21 PM

Cry of the City is a good film, directed by Robert Siodmak. It plays on the Fox Movie Channel a lot. I'm suprised it hasn't made the Fox Noir series yet. Maybe if they have another wave of noir releases; hopefully it won't be a year or more before we see more..

#9 of 75 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,878 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 28 2007 - 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarrison
Yeah...Dana Andrews is so damn dreamy Posted Image

One of the most underrated film noir leading men IMO. (not buying into the debate as to whether Daisy Kenyon constitutes being labeled film noir)
There's nothing to buy into, it's not a film noir. Anyhow, it's going to be release so at least another classic film will make it onto DVD.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#10 of 75 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 12:14 AM

Fabulous news! Posted Image Especially looking forward to Dangerous Crossing!
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#11 of 75 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 12:34 AM

Does anybody know if these releases are going to maintain the same theme (artwork and numbering) as the previous releases?

Just curious.

#12 of 75 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,901 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 12:59 AM

Black Widow? That's the one with Ginger Rogers and Gene Tierney, right? Interesting it should be listed as 'film noir', considering it's in color.....
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#13 of 75 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
Black Widow? That's the one with Ginger Rogers and Gene Tierney, right? Interesting it should be listed as 'film noir', considering it's in color.....

I don't know why you're surprised given that they've already released "House of Bamboo" as part of the series.

I have no problem with a few color films -- "Niagra" and "Leave Her to Heaven" -- being classed as noir.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#14 of 75 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 03:05 AM

Nicholas Ray's 'Party Girl' is another color noir.

#15 of 75 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 03:12 AM

Hope that they complete all the Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney films on dvd: BELLE STARR and particularly THE IRON CURTAIN, a very provocative true story that bears many noirish qualities. Also would love to see Preminger's great THE THIRTEENTH LETTER out on dvd.
Charles Hoyt

#16 of 75 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
Does anybody know if these releases are going to maintain the same theme (artwork and numbering) as the previous releases?

Just curious.

They will follow the same artwork & numbering according to the pictures of them on the insert in the Charlie Chan Vol 3 box set.

#17 of 75 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 07:57 AM

They will follow the same artwork & numbering according to the pictures of them on the insert in the Charlie Chan Vol 3 box set.

I haven't seen that insert. It sounds like it's a new line..or possibly in the vein of their Cinema Classics line.

#18 of 75 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,989 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 29 2007 - 08:31 AM

NICE NEWS! can't wait, I really enjoyed all the noir Fox has released. I would relaly lie an official copy of Boomerang though. I thought they had the rights worked out on that one.

#19 of 75 OFFLINE   JohnRa

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted November 29 2007 - 10:06 AM

This news is great! I'm very happy this series isn't dead, and hope it continues after these releases.

#20 of 75 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 10:08 PM

Good to see the line coming back, though 2 of these selections are somewhat dubious choices. The reason why Cry of the City and Road House keeps getting passed over is beyond me.

BTW - Black Widow is not a noir either.
Death before Streaming!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow