Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Which Evil Dead 1/2 DVD release to get?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Viper

Viper

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 05:52 AM

I'm not a hardcore fan of the first two movies so much as Army of Darkness, but I was thinknig of picking up DVDs of them to replace my old tapes. Walmart has them for $7.50 right now, but I'm not sure if they'd be the best SD-DVD releases to get or not. Are the Book of the Dead releases the same transfers? I seem to remember hearing before that one of the Evil Dead releases was "fake" widescreen or something. Like OAR was actually supposed to be 1.33:1 and it was released matted to 1.85. ???

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 06:22 AM

If you can wait a couple weeks, Anchor Bay is releasing a 3-disc "Ultimate Edition" that will supposedly be the "Ultimate Edition" to have (at least until they release the inevitable Extra-Super-Deluxe-Ultimate Edition which will probably include a special feature that actually resurrects the dead) and will feature both the cropped/widescreen version and the original full-frame version. The Book of the Dead version of ED1 included the cropped/matted widescreen version that Sam Raimi supposedly prefers. I believe this is the same transfer that is included on the economy model but I could be mistaken.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Viper

Viper

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 06:32 AM

heh. I guess I'll wait, assuming the release date doesn't change. I'm getting rather tired of waiting for a proper release of Kill Bill. Posted Image

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 03:03 PM

I thought I read around here that the new matted/cropped version will be framed better than the last version to fix a few problems that the old version had, as far as cropping out certain things ( I.E. the band-aid box joke).

I might be wrong but I believe I read that here somewhere.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper
I'm not a hardcore fan of the first two movies so much as Army of Darkness, but I was thinknig of picking up DVDs of them to replace my old tapes. Walmart has them for $7.50 right now, but I'm not sure if they'd be the best SD-DVD releases to get or not. Are the Book of the Dead releases the same transfers? I seem to remember hearing before that one of the Evil Dead releases was "fake" widescreen or something. Like OAR was actually supposed to be 1.33:1 and it was released matted to 1.85. ???

The 3 disc version of The Evil Dead is a must if your a fan. I already own 2 previous editions on dvd, and I'm still gettin itPosted Image

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted December 13 2007 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M
I thought I read around here that the new matted/cropped version will be framed better than the last version to fix a few problems that the old version had, as far as cropping out certain things ( I.E. the band-aid box joke).

According to DVDFile, the new Evil Dead UE has a new widescreen transfer, which they simply describe as "more consistent" than the previous effort. Unfortunately, they also state that the 1.33 version is just a port of the ancient Elite laserdisc transfer. This makes the UE a no-sale for me, since I already have the Elite DVD, and an improved 1.33 version was the only reason I had for upgrading.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Ed Moroughan

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit

• 377 posts
  • LocationStar Lake, NY

Posted December 14 2007 - 12:00 PM

Regarding the UE, here's another review:

http://www.dvdactive....e-edition.html

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 23 2010 - 01:33 PM

Years later....well, anyway.

The transfer on this old 3 disc set does NOT fix the framing issues (band-aid, etc.) found on The Book Of the Dead version.

There...........that was worth three years wasn't it?  Posted Image

-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

Forum Nav Content I Follow