-

Photo

MGM Press Release: The Apartment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,941 posts

Posted November 27 2007 - 09:01 PM

JACK LEMMON AND SHIRLEY MACLAINE STAR IN
THE ACADEMY AWARDÒ-WINNING BEST PICTURE CLASSIC

The Apartment

Special Collector’s Edition Featuring A Tribute To Jack Lemmon
Arrives On DVD February 5

Winner Of Five Academy AwardsÒ Including Best Director, Billy Wilder

LOS ANGELES, CA – Complications ensue when a lowly but ambitious accountant tries to climb the corporate ladder in The Apartment Collector’s Edition, arriving on DVD February 5, 2008. Winner of five Academy AwardÒ awards*, including Best Picture and Best Director, Billy Wilder (Some Like It Hot, Ocean’s Eleven), this sophisticated and dark romantic comedy provides a satirical assessment of corporate America, capitalism, success and extramarital liaisons. Starring Academy AwardÒ winners Jack Lemmon (Some Like It Hot, The China Syndrome) and Shirley MacLaine (Terms of Endearment, Irma La Duce) and co-starring Golden GlobeÒ nominee Fred MacMurray (The Absent Minded Professor), this revered film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation by the National Film Registry. Additionally, The Apartment is ranked 20 on the American Film Institute’s (AFI) list of 100 Laughs, 62 on its 100 Passions list and is among the honorary films on the AFI’s influential Top 100 Films list.

Part of the esteemed United Artists library, The Apartment Collector’s Edition DVD is being released as part of an18-month global celebration leading up to the 90th anniversary of the studio in 2009 that honors the films, directors, actors and music that represent United Artists’ rich filmmaking heritage.

The Apartment Collector’s Edition DVD includes special features such as audio commentary from Bruce Block, Film Producer, UCLA Professor and AFI Member, “Inside the Apartment” documentary, a “Tribute to Jack Lemmon” and will be available for the suggested retail price of $19.98 US/$25.98 Canada. Pre-book is January 9.

Synopsis:

Winner of five 1960 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, The Apartment is legendary writer/director Billy Wilder at his scathing, satirical best, and one of "the finest comedies Hollywood has turned out" (Newsweek). C.C. "Bud" Baxter (Jack Lemmon) knows the way to success in business...it's through the door of his apartment! By providing a perfect hideaway for philandering bosses, the ambitious young employee reaps a series of undeserved promotions. But when Bud lends the key to big boss J.D. Sheldrake (Fred MacMurray), he not only advances his career, but his own love life as well. For Sheldrake's mistress is the lovely Fran Kubelik (Shirley MacLaine), elevator girl and angel of Bud's dreams. Convinced that he is the only man for Fran, Bud must makethe most important executive decision of his career: lose the girl...or his job.

Rich in history and devoted to creating powerful, quality films, United Artists (UA) was formed in 1919 by Mary Pickford, Charles Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks and D.W. Griffith to encourage progressive filmmaking, giving each star the authority and autonomy to create the films about which they were most passionate. The studio responsible for creating some of the finest films of all time including iconic film franchises ROCKY, PINK PANTHER and JAMES BOND and critically-acclaimed and award-winning features RAGING BULL, SOME LIKE IT HOT, WEST SIDE STORY, ANNIE HALL, MIDNIGHT COWBOY and RAIN MAN, contains a library of nearly 1,000 feature films and boasts more than 80 Academy Award®-winning classics.

# # #

The Apartment Collector’s Edition
DVD Price: $19.98 U.S. / $25.98 Canada
Street Date: February 5, 2008
Prebook Date: January 9, 2008
Running Time: 125 mins.
Catalog Number: M110080
Audio Features: English Mono
MPAA: NR
Language: English
Subtitles: English/Spanish
Closed Captioned YES

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 12:53 AM

The reference to the 18-month celebration of United Artists films suggests that several further UA titles of interest may be released next year in (hopefully) improved collectors' editions.

High on my own list of wants would be:

Paths Of Glory
The Train
Birdman Of Alcatraz
Coming Home
The Charge Of The Light Brigade (1968)
The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
The Fortune Cookie
Sweet Smell Of Success
Bruce Morrison

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 12:07 PM

YES!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 01 2007 - 04:24 AM

I realize that this forum serves first and foremost to preserve and uphold the quality and presentation of filmic works in the home video format and that often brings about controversy when pettier issues such as artwork, etc. is brought up... but if the Home Theater Forum could contact Sony about the upcoming release of Close Encounters to "suggest" they improve the cover art, why can't HTF use their contacts to do the same with one of the most requested reissue titles of all time from the studio? Anyone who's been posting here or visiting the forum for the past 5+ years could tell you that this Billy Wilder classic has always been at the top of almost every single list for reissue!

To quote a message from a post at DVDTimes: This "collector's edition" is a good argument for the reinstatement of death penalty against artistic direction gone wrong.

I really think the HTF should use their contacts to "suggest" to MGM that they reconsider their marketing approach to this release, because that package really looks like an abomination!

And that does NOT detract from my anticipation for this film! It's simply one of my favorite movies and I'd like to see it released with more appropriate, or at least, less offensive, packaging. HTF did it before, why not now... when it's truly needed...

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 05 2007 - 05:08 AM

While that new cover art is pretty awful (I keep thinking it's Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn instead of Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine), to be honest, the original theatrical posters for this one are horrible too.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 06:41 AM

I'd take ANYTHING (including a plain white sheet) over this mess.

Yeah, it's only a cover... but it's representative of the cluelessness of the films under Sony's license. For such a major release - and considering the requests since the non-anamorphic MGM dud from years back - it IS a major release in the classic DVD cannon... it should dawn more respect that that horrid cover, I think.

In the end, I care most about the presenation of this new release, but considering that it has GOT to be an improvement over the last disc and this is almost a sure shot purchase, I'd like to see it better represented on DVD than this mess masquerading as cover art.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 08:50 AM

The release date is just a week away. Any early reviews ? As it is the cover left a bad taste in my mouth and so I am going to hold off on pre-ordering this until someone confirms that it addresses the picture quality shortcomings of the original release.

-D

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Jimin70mm

Jimin70mm

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 01:13 PM

Deepak,
I wouldn't hold my breath...It will be a non-anamorphic mess, just like their recent release of "New York, New York."

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,235 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimin70mm
Deepak,
I wouldn't hold my breath...It will be a non-anamorphic mess, just like their recent release of "New York, New York."

Nope - the new Apartment DVD is anamorphic, so it's not the same transfer! I can't provide an opinion of the transfer yet; I just got a new TV that I'm breaking in before I do any reviews. However, I checked and the DVD is definitely 16X9 enhanced - unlike NY NY, this is NOT a rehashed non-anamorphic transfer...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted January 29 2008 - 02:04 PM

Big improvement says The Beaver.

#11 of 17 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,001 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 29 2008 - 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson
However, I checked and the DVD is definitely 16X9 enhanced - unlike NY NY, this is NOT a rehashed non-anamorphic transfer...
I said it in another thread but I thought there was a chance that The Apartment would be done right rather than the recycle job that they did with New York, New York. With New York, New York they were able to reuse the same disc for disc one and the new special features were on a second disc. This release of The Apartment is one disc so they had to at least create a new disc since there was special features this time.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted January 29 2008 - 03:56 PM

I'm going to get this. Terrific film and the screen caps at DVDBeaver look encouraging. I'll then put the disc in my old DVD cover and put the new cover in the garbage where it belongs. Who at MGM couldn't look up from their Appletini to check that cover out?

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,148 posts

Posted January 30 2008 - 12:32 PM

Great news. But all that added material, yet they don't include the trailer?

Phooey. Now I have to keep my old copy.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted February 02 2008 - 12:30 AM

I remember the original release also being anamorphic and while it looked fine on a small TV it was a mess projected on a larger screen. From the Beaver caps the new transfer looks much improved and so I guess I will go for it.

-D

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted February 06 2008 - 05:25 AM

I grabbed a copy yesterday and Best Buy and could not wait to get to my girlfriend's house.

Unfortunately, she has an old 32" tube TV, but I was concentrating on the extras anyway. First, I watched the documentary and I have to say that I was very impressed. While for the most part it was a talking heads doc, it contained several factoids that I had never before heard, some great behind the scenes shots, and comments from some major film historians as well as several surviving cast members including Shirley MacLaine.

Second, I watched the Jack Lemmon featurette and it was also very entertaining. It was constructed from interview footage with the same people from main documentary, and they obviously chose to separate some of this footage for the Lemmon featurette.

Finally, I started the movie to watch the commentary. Even though I was watching this on a rather small set, the picture immediately jumped out at me as much improved, so I can't wait to see it on my set in the next few days. I was not sure what to expect from the commentary track as I had never heard of this particular person before. My doubt was immediately overtaken though, as he was a very good speaker and spoke a great deal about the production of the film. He was obviously very scholared on Billy Wilder and the film in general and had studied the production records as he repeatedly pointed out when scenes had been reshot or when a great number of takes were required to get the shot right. I only watched the first half before bedtime, but I'll be finishing this first thing tonight.

So far, I am extremely pleased with this upgrade. It is unfortunate that they left off the trailer, but I will gladly trade that for the rest of these informative extras. Posted Image

#16 of 17 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,001 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 06 2008 - 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
So far, I am extremely pleased with this upgrade.
Same here. The disc looks very nice and while I haven't seen the original release in a couple years, I can imagine that it's a big step up over the original.

I loved the commentary since it's mostly information on the production rather than some pretentious interpretation of the movie (and Block acknowledges that Wilder would probably turn over in his grave if someone looked at his movies like that).

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 07 2008 - 10:01 AM

Fantastic news
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

Forum Nav Content I Follow