What's new

(Help) Subwoofer Setup for Center Channel (1 Viewer)

Kha:T

Agent
If I want to run a subwoofer for the center channel only, how do I do that? Do I need to run line level input to the sub, then line level again from the sub to the center chanel speaker?

Thanks in advance for any help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would use the Hi-Level (speaker wire) out from your avr into your sub and then out to the center speaker. This way you can send a full range signal to the sub and use the subs crossover to split the signal between the sub and the center speaker. But I just have to ask. Why??

Kha:T

Agent
Thanks for your reply, Gene.

Well, I wanted to try that because I want to move the sub closer the cc speaker. Right now it's closer to where I sit. Since I'm going to add another sub, I thought that I might as well do something like that to get more impact out of the center channel.

But, is it really a bad idea? Is it just redundant because the LFE channel pretty much takes care of the center channel bass output? I'm clueless, but I just want to get the most out of my setup.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's indeed not a very good idea. Your central channel may start sounding differently from the L&R channels. so a sound source going from left-to-right on your screen may change its timbre while moving.

You need to realize that the location of the subwoofer isn't as important as the location of other speakers. Low frequencies "fill" your room, almost without being able to get located by the ear. In fact locating them can only be done because of tiny distortions (carrying higher frequencies), and when moving your ears very close to it.
Normally, all you have to care about when placing a sub, is to maximize the effect at your main seating.

So, IMO, a better solution for you would be to add that second sub, then place them anywhere you want (and where it sounds best) and also make sure they don't "bite" each other (e.g. by canceling-out effects when they are not wired in-phase). E.g. placing each sub close to a rear channel, or else one in front and the other in the back of your room.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks