Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will I benefit from upsconverting?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   PatrickMiller

PatrickMiller

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted November 26 2007 - 10:50 AM

Hi all, I just got a Sony Bravia LCD Rear-Proj. set (720) and was wondering if I would benefit from an upsconverting DVD player? I am now using a Sony prog. scan! I cant tell the diff between standard and progressive! Also how many hours of use can I expect out of my lamp?Thanks!

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted November 26 2007 - 06:33 PM

You will not benefit. I don't know about the lamp.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 27 2007 - 02:34 PM

Your TV displays everything at 720p. It up- or down-converts all inputs to its native resolution because that is the only thing it can display. So the reason you can't tell the difference between interlaced and progressive is everything you're seeing is progressive. Posted Image

Is you set a true 720p or is it 768p, as many LCD flat-panels are? If it is 720p you might see a slight improvement with an upconverting DVD player - assuming the player's scaler is better than the one in your television. But if it is 768p your set is still going to have to make a final adjustment to the image, and all you're doing is adding one more processing step. I seriously doubt that it would be worth the experiment.

And sorry, I can't answer the lamp question, either.

Regards,

Joe

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   PatrickMiller

PatrickMiller

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 10:31 AM

So who benefits from this?....I guess it is a waste to buy component for my setup, I should just use S-vid huh? Thanks!

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

• 1,573 posts

Posted December 06 2007 - 10:59 AM

Who benefits ... people with sets that have poor scaling, the DVD may do a somewhat better job. To get the real big jumps in quality you need actual HD-DVD or Blu-ray.
No, component provides more bandwidth for the color signals than S-video, it's worthwhile. Just don't spend ripoff prices for the cables. Monoprice.com has good inexpensive cables, no need to spend more than $1-2 per foot.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,560 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 06 2007 - 11:08 AM

Deinterlacing is another factor and if your set doesn't do a good job of it (which many do not), you will want a player that is decent at it. That means you need component from a progressive player as you cannot get progressive via s-vid. I agree, a Blu-ray or HD DVD player would be the way to go to get the most benefit picture quality wise.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,589 posts

Posted December 07 2007 - 10:53 AM

Is it my imagination, or are 2 out of every 3 threads about upconverting these days? I guess it's the new marketing panacea.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,560 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 11 2007 - 08:19 AM

Buzzword Posted Image Technically it is upscaling, not upconverting, but whatever...
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users