-

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver suggestion with Klipsch speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted November 26 2007 - 07:41 AM

A friend of mine has some 10 year old floor-standing Klipschs that he wants to incorporate into a home theater system. What brand and model of receiver do people recommend with Klipsch speakers? He would like to keep the cost of the receiver to around $500, if possible.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Gordon Wakim

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted November 26 2007 - 11:45 AM

I have Klipsch KLF-20's. My first Receiver with them was a Yamaha RX-V 995 and it was bright and sometimes fatiguing to my ears. A few years latter, I purchased a Denon 3805, much warmer sound, not overly bright as the Yamaha. A friend of mine has the same speakers paired up with a new Pioneer Elite Receiver and that sounds as good as well. That is my experience with Klipsch. Klipsch speakers can be bright sounding to some people, but paired up with right receiver, I think they sound fantastic.
Posted Image
Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted November 27 2007 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestios. A salesperson at a local specialty retailer had also mentioned Pioneer Elite. I am afraid it might be outside my friend's budget.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted November 27 2007 - 11:40 PM

Right now, the Onkyo 605 is pretty popular as far as a budget priced receiver (budget priced being a relative term). You can find it for $400-$450 new, and shoponkyo.com has it for around $300 refurbished (you have to be a member to see the lower price, and it comes and goes as far as availability). It will pretty much handle most of the new audio formats, has hdmi capability (can process hdmi audio and is not just an hdmi pass through unit).

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 03:43 AM

What exactly is the size of these speakers? Floorstanding could me a huge range of sizes etc...

Due to their horn technology, Klipsch speakers tend to be pretty bright. A warm sounding receiver should compliment them well.

I may be wrong, but Marantz is usually on the warm side and they should have something for 500 or less. Also, you could check out audiogon.com for something used. It's a great site to check out such deals.
Once again, the Bulls have let me down...

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   hosemonster

hosemonster

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 12:50 PM

This is were I get real confused. Less than 2 hours ago I was at a KLIPSCH dealer trying to decide what to buy (I really liked the RF-82's by the way) and I asked the dude about receivers and he said YAMAHA and KLIPSCH are a match made in heaven. He had Onkyo and Denon in his store also.
This probably doesnt help, but its all I can offer.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosemonster
This is were I get real confused. Less than 2 hours ago I was at a KLIPSCH dealer trying to decide what to buy (I really liked the RF-82's by the way) and I asked the dude about receivers and he said YAMAHA and KLIPSCH are a match made in heaven. He had Onkyo and Denon in his store also.
This probably doesnt help, but its all I can offer.

If you like bright sounding music/movies they are. That just doesn't fly well with my ears. It all depends on what you like and what sounds good to you. If you go to a decent demo room, they should be able to switch between speakers and receivers instantly so you can hear the difference.
Once again, the Bulls have let me down...

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Gordon Wakim

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted November 28 2007 - 04:22 PM

Yamaha, has made some strides in making thier recievers warmer sounding since I owned my RX-V 995, but I still say Denon is a better choice, and as mentioned Marantz would also make a good choice. If you are on a budget, Denon does make decient receivers in the 400-500 range. Since the Klipsch Speakers are so effiecent, they do not need a lot of power to soung good or get loud. I can not comment on Onkyo, as I have never heard one with Klipsch, but they do make good equipment.
Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   hosemonster

hosemonster

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 02:17 AM

What exactly do ya all mean when yao say "warmer sounding" and is it trial and error or do the spec sheets give you the info if a sound room option isnt available?

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   JGiampa

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted December 02 2007 - 08:49 AM

Warm sound is something that you can only tell through actually listening to the receiver. Some receivers give off a cold, sort of I like to say tinny sound (I have a SONY like this and hate it). While other receivers will give you a rich warm sound.

I am currently using a YAMAHA that I love. This would be perfect for your friend. I have Klipsch Powered Towers hooked up to them and they sound amazing. This is the receiver, I got it for 400 at the store.

http://www.yamaha.co....ETYP=ATTRIBUTE

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted December 02 2007 - 03:50 PM

there have been posts on this here before, but the short answer is bright sound is treble heavy and warm is bass heavy. yes that is an over simplification.

honestly in the the sub $1000 price range, you are not going to find a lot of difference in sound quality especially at the same price point between the main brands IMO. yeah marantz is a little warmer in general but even that is a pretty subtle difference in the lower priced models. i would be willing to bet the guys who sell these things could not reliably identify an avr's brand by doing a blind side by side listening test.

so for $500 or less i'd buy for features and go for onkyo, pioneer or yammy for value and denon and marantz for build quality and sound quality.

if you don't like the sound, the speakers are what needs to change most likely. they have far more to do with what you hear than the amplification.

and back to the OP, if these are 10 year old speakers that are going to be the heart of a new HT, you should see if there is a matching center speaker available. i'd try to get that info from klipsch directly or a trusted klipsch dealer. it just defeats the purpose a bit to plan a new surround system around a pair of speakers that don't have a matching center (although it can be done).
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Larry Fabbri

Larry Fabbri

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted February 05 2008 - 06:41 AM

I have an Onkyo (602 which is now a 605 I believe) and it sounds great with my KLF 20s. Nice warm sound, not harsh and it will play loud and clean

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   MScott

MScott

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 08:28 AM

How about the Integra recievers with Klipsch...any experience??

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   pink

pink

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted September 08 2008 - 09:01 AM

[
Quote:
QUOTE=MScott]How about the Integra recievers with Klipsch...any experience??
[/quote]
Which Klipsch Speakers are you refering to. Is the the Heritage Series (Klipschorns, La Scala, Cornwall or Heresey) or just the Department store Klipsch? There is a major difference.

Forum Nav Content I Follow