What's new

Dr. Kildare needs to be released on DVD!!!! (1 Viewer)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Just got through watching the first episode of Kildare that I've seen since the show was first on the air in the early 60's (thanks to KTLA's retro marathon) and am just astounded at how well this program has held up through the years. The video and audio quality are quite good, and the story itself was very well done, the acting superb. Whoever is sitting on this one is really depriving the viewing public of good drama.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Warner is sitting on it. And they like nothing better than to deprive the public of good dramas. Maybe Time-Life will step up to the plate like they did with UNCLE.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Although "Dr. Kildare" was a well written medical drama, I feel that "Ben Casey" was a bit better.
Never the less, it's time for the companies holding the rights to these shows to loosen their grip and release them to DVD. There IS a market for older B/W shows. Not all of us here are looking for "The Brady Bunch" or "21 Jump Street."

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The irony is that Warner's theatrical division said in the 2006 HTF chat that the Dr. Kildare films (Lew Ayres) were on the radar for DVD release.

Aside from the Reeves Superman, Gilligan and a few other properties, there is a world of difference between how WHV's TV division treats their classic catalog from the treatment the theatrical division gives theirs.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
This show had tons of well known guest stars-Fred Astaire did four episodes for instance. Richard Chamberlain is still active and I bet he'd get out there and promote it. I've never understood why this show wasn't syndicated back in the b&w days.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Other than Gilligan's Island, are there any other shows Warner got when they bought Turner that they've released on DVD?

As for Ben Casey being a better show, I fully agree. It has also had far more exposure in the taping era, thanks to the Worldvision evergreen package. Has Kildare run anywhere besides Turner South?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks