Photo

So, what should be future WB "Director's Series" box sets?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 11:01 PM

It's always frustrating when WB launches an interesting umbrella heading for box set releases, because they are often very good, but not always continued. We are going to see more "Forbidden Hollywood" and "Gangsters" boxes, but the gauntlet that has been dropped with the new Kubrick "Director's Series" box makes me hungry for more comprehensive collections by one artist. But in their noble attempt to prevent buyers from double dipping by not putting already-released discs in boxes, it limits the possibilities. I seem to recall hearing that Clint Eastwood will get one, which he rightfully deserves since many of his movies would benefit from fresh new transfers and added extras. But who else is due for more representation?

Right off my head Sidney Lumet would be a great candidate. He's getting lots of attention again for BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD, and of course the Lifetime Achievement Award is a good excuse to revisit his work. True, WB has already revisited NETWORK and DOG DAY AFTERNOON for their "Controversial Classics" box, and just released THE HILL for their war movie promotion, but there are plenty of other movies of his that would be either new to DVD (BYE BYE BRAVERMAN, THE SEAGULL, THE APPOINTMENT, LAST OF THE MOBILE HOT SHOTS, JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT, GARBO TALKS) or due for upgrading (DEATHTRAP, RUNNING ON EMPTY, POWER - all currently barebones 1.33) to include.

Ken Russell is another that comes to mind. There is almost none of his WB or MGM output on DVD right now save for ALTERED STATES (which is 1.85 but without extras). Putting Russell's work in one box would yield two long-sought films - THE DEVILS and THE BOYFRIEND - that would make this as desirable and highly marketable as the Kubrick box, plus SAVAGE MESSIAH which features an infamous Helen Mirren nude scene, the divisive cult musical LISZTOMANIA, and perhaps a new ALTERED STATES with cast interviews or director commentary.

Any other suggestions? Remember, WB prefers not to double dip, so semi-obvious and deserving directors like Scorsese or Spielberg are not likely.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#2 of 25 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 01:50 AM

Kubrick, Part II:

FEAR AND DESIRE: Deluxe Edition
KILLER'S KISS: Deluxe Edition
THE KILLING: Deluxe Edition
PATHS OF GLORY: 2-Disc Special Edition
LOLITA: 2-Disc Special Edition
BARRY LYNDON: 2-Disc Special Edition

(we can skip SPARTACUS, due to the Criterion version, and DR. STRANGELOVE, due to the current 2-Disc Anniversary Edition)
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#3 of 25 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 02:31 AM

Ken Russell would be an interesting choice, but only if they can get his BBC documentaries as bonus features. This can't be a collection of his film, you have to make the case that he deserves to be seen as a major director of his time.

Russell has fallen so far off the radar for casual film fans. You mention his name at a film school and they think you're talking the guy from Escape From New York.

Where's the Norman Taurog boxset?
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#4 of 25 Charles H

Charles H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 04:20 AM

Some likely titles for the Taurog Collection: PALM SPRINGS WEEKEND, RICH, YOUNG AND PRETTY, BUNDLE OF JOY, THE HOODLUM SAINT, BIG CITY, DESIGN FOR SCANDAL, MRS. O'MALLEY AND MR. MALONE, PLEASE BELIEVE ME. Three more serious candidates: ROOM FOR ONE MORE, ONIONHEAD, and THE BEGINNING OR THE END--a serious historical film about the development of the "A" bomb.
Charles Hoyt

#5 of 25 Greg_M

Greg_M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 08:28 AM

WB said "the Devils" was coming, I've heard "the Boy Friend" isn't, but a Russell box set would be great "the Music Lovers" too but that's a different company

#6 of 25 ted:r

ted:r

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 08:33 AM

Let me second the Lumet box set. I hunger especially for "Bye Bye Braverman", "The Sea Gull" and "Last Of The Mobile Hot Shots"
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#7 of 25 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
Kubrick, Part II:

FEAR AND DESIRE: Deluxe Edition
KILLER'S KISS: Deluxe Edition
THE KILLING: Deluxe Edition
PATHS OF GLORY: 2-Disc Special Edition
LOLITA: 2-Disc Special Edition
BARRY LYNDON: 2-Disc Special Edition

WB only controls two of those titles.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#8 of 25 Charles H

Charles H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 06:51 AM

Anthony Mann: CIMARRON, SERENADE, THE TALL TARGET, DEVIL'S DOORWAY, DESPERATE.
Nicholas Ray: PARTY GIRL, WIND ACROSS THE EVERGLADES, THE LUSTY MEN, BORN TO BE BAD, A WOMAN'S SECRET.
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 25 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill GrandPre
WB only controls two of those titles.

*slaps head*

Of course, you're right--I momentarily confused Warner Bros. with 20th Century Fiox as the current distributor of MGM DVDs...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#10 of 25 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 12:31 PM

How about a Vincente Minelli box set. I would love Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The Cobweb, Kismet, a double disc Gigi with a complete doc on the making of the film. etc.

#11 of 25 TheBat

TheBat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 12:44 PM

I would like Warner Bros to do a tim burton director series.. I heard they plan to release a 20th anniversary of beetlejuice on dvd special edition.. have no idea if its true or not.. I would hope they include pee wee's big adventure, batman, batman returns, mars attacks, Charlie and the cholate factory, corpse's bride.

I wouldn't mind seeing a richard donner directors series collection. he has done many films with warner bros, including superman, ladyhawke, lethal weapon and others.

Jacob

#12 of 25 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 01:37 PM

Quote:
I would like Warner Bros to do a tim burton director series.. I heard they plan to release a 20th anniversary of beetlejuice on dvd special edition.. have no idea if its true or not.. I would hope they include pee wee's big adventure, batman, batman returns, mars attacks, Charlie and the cholate factory, corpse's bride.

I was thinking that too until I realized that "Beetlejuice" and "Mars Attacks" are arguably the only ones that need to be revisited and most Burton fans are already gonna have the rest.

I can also see WB being reluctant to include the Batman movies alongside "unrelated" movies.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#13 of 25 TheBat

TheBat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 03:26 PM

they keep re-releasing stanley K. films on dvd.. I am sure they can do the same with tim burton films. it would be cool if they would revisit mars attacks as a proper special edition.

Jacob

#14 of 25 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted November 26 2007 - 12:48 AM

How could you guys mention Warner Bros. and 'directors' without its most legendary director: Michael Curtiz??

Among his films are-
Casablanca
Mildred Pierce
Captain Blood
The Private Lives of Elizabeth & Essex
Marked Woman
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Jim Thorpe- All American
Flamingo Road
Life with Father
- a legit version should be released!
This Is The Army- likewise
Yankee Doolde Dandy
The Sea Hawk
Angels With Dirty Faces
Four Daughters
Anthony Adverse
Dodge City
Doctor X
- and countless others.

A Curtiz set is a must!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#15 of 25 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Advanced Member

• 6,056 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 26 2007 - 01:37 AM

The only non-studio era director I can think of who has had anything like Kubrick's relationship with Warner Brothers is Clint Eastwood. The fact that he has a name that would sell titles probably does not hurt, either.

Studio-era catalog holdings from the WB, MGM, and RKO libraries would give them a lot of choices. For WB studio directors specifically, the first two names that come to mind are Curtiz and Raoul Walsh.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#16 of 25 Charles H

Charles H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted November 26 2007 - 01:46 AM

A Curtizet would be terrific: Add MISSION TO MOSCOW, THE JAZZ SINGER, THE STORY OF WILL ROGERS, THE UNSUSPECTED, THE BREAKING POINT (see seperate thread), THE SEA WOLF, 20,000 YEARS IN SING SING, NOAH'S ARK, CABIN IN THE COTTON, ROUGHLY SPEAKING, MAMMY, THE STRANGE LOVE OF MOLLY LOUVAIN, BRIGHT LEAF, DAUGHTERS COURAGEOUS, THE HELEN MORGAN STORY. No other director epitomizes what WB is all about. Great idea for a megaset a la what Fox is doing with Ford.
Charles Hoyt

#17 of 25 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted November 26 2007 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
A Curtizet would be terrific: Add MISSION TO MOSCOW, THE JAZZ SINGER, THE STORY OF WILL ROGERS, THE UNSUSPECTED, THE BREAKING POINT (see seperate thread), THE SEA WOLF, 20,000 YEARS IN SING SING, NOAH'S ARK, CABIN IN THE COTTON, ROUGHLY SPEAKING, MAMMY, THE STRANGE LOVE OF MOLLY LOUVAIN, BRIGHT LEAF, DAUGHTERS COURAGEOUS, THE HELEN MORGAN STORY. No other director epitomizes what WB is all about. Great idea for a megaset a la what Fox is doing with Ford.

Brilliant idea, Charles and Charles! A few more to add:
Tenderloin
Jimmy the Gent
Black Fury
Goodbye Again
The Keyhole
Mandalay
Under a Texas Moon
The Matrimonial Bed
The Mad Genius
God's Gift to Women
The Woman From Monte Carlo

#18 of 25 Charles H

Charles H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted November 26 2007 - 12:37 PM

Mervyn LeRoy: QUO VADIS? (Double Disc), TWO SECONDS, FIVE STAR FINAL, ANTHONY ADVERSE, THREE MEN ON A HORSE, THE WORLD CHANGES, THEY WON'T FORGET (arguably his finest film), THE GREAT GARRICK, TUGBOAT ANNIE, SWEET ADELINE, WATERLOO BRIDGE, ESCAPE, BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST, JOHNNY EAGER, HOMECOMING, ANY NUMBER CAN PLAY, LOVELY TO LOOK AT, MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID, HOME BEFORE DARK, ROSE MARIE, NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS, STRANGE LADY IN TOWN, A MAJORITY OF ONE, TOWARD THE UNKNOWN, and MARY, MARY. As in the case of Raoul Walsh and Michael Curtiz, the name of the director may not be marketable to the public but the titles and the stars certainly are.
Charles Hoyt

#19 of 25 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted November 27 2007 - 11:24 AM

How about--

Fritz Lang:

RANCHO NOTORIOUS (1952)
MOONFLEET (1955)
WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1956)
BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT (1956)

William Wellman:

THE STAR WITNESS (1931)
WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD (1933)
THE HAPPY YEARS (1950)
THE NEXT VOICE YOU HEAR (1950)
WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951)

Jean Negulesco:

THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS (1944)
THE CONSPIRATORS (1944)
THREE STRANGERS (1946)
NOBODY LIVES FOREVER (1946)
DEEP VALLEY (1947)

Jacques Tourneur:

DAYS OF GLORY (1944)
EXPERIMENT PERILOUS (1944)
BERLIN EXPRESS (1948)
STARS IN MY CROWN (1950)
WICHITA (1955)

Blake Edwards:

THE GREAT RACE: SE (1965)
THE WILD ROVERS (1971)
THE CAREY TREATMENT (1972)
THE TAMARIND SEED (1974)

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010)

#20 of 25 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted November 27 2007 - 05:32 PM

Unfortunately, WB does not control Blake Edwards' THE TAMARIND SEED - that belongs to Granada. They do still have SKIN DEEP, S.O.B., and 10, which have been previously released in bare-bones editions, and could benefit from new transfers and commentary tracks. Good choice!
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow