Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

wiring in a upc and power filter/ surge protector

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   predgw

predgw

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 12:24 PM

Hey guys. I started in on the basement home theater and I have a few questions. My equipment is going to be in the space underneath the stairway. I have started running conduit and what not for the speakers and I am now starting the power supply runs.

1. How does battery backup and power filter surge protector get wired into the system? I will be running at least two 20 amp circuits to the space under the stairs.

2. I have read some power filters/ surge protectors can handle up to 40 amps. Most circuit breakers are either 15 amp or 20 amp. Does this mean these 40 amp power filters take two dedictaed 20 amp lines? Am i figuring this wrong.

3. What is the best way to wire the projector. The projector will be about 8' away from the equipment closet. Should I hard wire from the projector to the closet, or add an outlet right above the projector? I had not planned on boxing in the projector. I will be using 5/8" drywall on the ceiling. Thanks

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 02:02 PM

I've got my UPS by my equipment rack and run surge protected power strips from it (double protection). Posted Image I'm not a licensed electrician so I'm not sure about the remainder of your inquiry but you will indeed want your projector on a UPS so if you lose power you can shut down your projector with cooling.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Trey Jones

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 04:11 PM

You will need an inlet wired from your closet to the outlet that your projector is plugged into. Your UPS/Power conditioner unit will need to have a plug running from one of the protected sockets to the inlet, and then your projector plugged in to the socket on the other end of the inlet.

You must use romex cable with no splices for this to pass code and it will have to be installed into a high voltage box on the wall.
Mo City Chocolate Indoor and Outdoor theater

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   predgw

predgw

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted November 26 2007 - 12:39 PM

thanks guys.