What's new

best center channel speaker for around a 100$ (1 Viewer)

ticks77

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
eric
Hi, need a good center channel 8ohms for around 100 give or take to go with my new sub and new suround speakers(i went with some mtx bookshelfs if anyone seen my other posts) ive looked at the dayton center and the mtx but i dont know.
thanks guys

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
unfortunately, this is not the way to put together your HT speakers. you should really buy front and center speakers from the same manufacturer that match. this way sounds, voices in particular will sound the same as they move from screen right to screen left, for example. otherwise you run a serious risk of having the sound change noticeably as it moves. this draws attention to the speakers and away from what you're watching, bad...

now i haven't looked, maybe there is a matching center speaker to the ones you already bought, if so, give it a shot. another option is to try getting an extra speaker of pair and using one as you center. this can be ok in some applications, and you know the sound will match.

good luck.

ticks77

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
eric
shouldnt matter as they can all be adjusted i can adjust highs lows and the amount of power going to each with my receiver

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
That's not the point. What Max means is that each line of speakers has its own unique sound to it and so mixing speakers from different lines will result in different sound coming from your Left/right speakers and your center speaker. You can't adjust the type of sound that a speaker has - it is a result of the specific design of the driver and the speaker. As a result, if you were watching a scene in a movie where a car sounds like it is driving from the left to the right of the room, having a different center channel would make it sound like a different car when the sound is coming from the center compared to the left or the right. Adjusting highs/lows or the volume of each speaker will not correct this.

ticks77

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
eric
cool well the left and right are the same so if it goes from left to right its allgood anyway beside the point A GOOD center speaker for 100 DONT Matter THE BRAND

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Exactly.

When you ask the wrong question, the responsible answer you will get is "you are asking the wrong question, therefore there is no correct answer."

ticks77

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
eric
the question is not what center will go with my surround . the question IS a good center speaker for 100 get it straight nobody has even answered my question yet so before you whine bout sh*t look at the question and either answer it or dont i didnt ask for anyadvice except for a good center for 100 YOU BIG DUMMY BUT F it there are other forums that arent full of wanabe HT TeCHs Hey what KIND OF BEES DONT FLY....... WANABEEEESSSS HAHA B*tchesss
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
MR brock samson that doesnt apply to you your cool and acutally answer the question that i ask nothing more nothing less:emoji_thumbsup:

ticks77

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
eric
who are you max L your speakers do not match either dumb dumb

Kim Jung ill - why is everyone so f*cking stupid?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
OK. Time out.
If the OP returns, let's try to make a clear new start. But that's Eric's call now.

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Phelps
Gee whiz guys. Just because his question doesn't meet your standards is no reason to treat him so badly. You posted what you wanted to say. Let the guy go his own way. If you don't want to answer don't.

That said it is true that it's practically impossible to match speakers to get a perfect flow but lots of people already have money invested and they don't want to sell what they have and find 3 speakers that are identical. Speakers are still generally sold in pairs or as a separate center channel speaker. Sure you can buy sets of speakers that are all tuned to match but they seem to come 5 to a set in my experience. And if you're trying to play music through your system they really aren't generally up to that task if you buy a set. I know that the purists will say HT and music should be separated but that only works if you have enough money to buy a separate system for each.

I fell into this category myself. I had a very good sound system long before there was such a thing as HT. I wanted to upgrade to HT and started out with a center channel setup that was actually 2 highly respected speakers from Radio Shack (yes they have sold some very good stuff but mostly they don't) and a split signal going into a decent amp to power those 2 speakers. I didn't like the fact that it didn't match the sound of my fronts (this was way before speakers came in sets of 5 btw) so I tried a few different things. I finally noticed the speakers in my Hitachi big screen actually sounded very good and came very close to matching the character of my front speakers. A little EQ effort (I was doing this for bands long before I did it for HT) and I had a setup that sounded pretty good except for the fact that my old receiver didn't allow me to adjust the volume level to match the fronts and the center. But my new one does.

My point is that it's really a good idea to try a lot of different combinations if you really want good sound. Short of buying a matched set that's about the best you can do. I was lucky getting my setup to sound similar but it took me years of trying different speakers to get the ones that I thought really sounded right. They still aren't perfect but I've yet to see the perfect speaker.

I'm sure there are those who will think my choices are absurd. That's always the case with audio equipment. If you don't believe me check out the wars on usenet regarding audio equipment. They've been fighting in rec.audio.opinion for at least 15 years. I'm talking the same people fighting the same battle for 15 solid years that I know about. It could actually be longer than that.

Audio is a very subjective thing. I try to respect everyone's opinion. If we don't we'll have anarchy in no time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jeff, maybe you could read the posts again. The original question was about a center...
and the OP came back to progressively tell everyone they were wrong, then claimed the question was NOT about a center to go with the surround speakers. Respondants were trying to give more complete understanding and were told they were wrong, and ultimately repeatedly lobbed with childish names.

These people were giving excellent, complete advice and trying to give the OP some more understanding including and beyond his question.

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Phelps
I read the thread. I know what was said. The advice might have been the best for you John but you have a wrong read on what happened here. The guy said he was essentially locked in to what he had already bought and was trying to make the best out of his current situation. Telling him he was wrong to do that didn't help him at all except for some future purchase which may be a long time in the future. He only responded with the so called "childish" remarks after being told twice that "you can't get there from here" by the same person.

Not everyone is a purist. It's not up to us to convert people on such an inane topic. So what if his front speakers aren't going to match his center speaker. If he wants to go that route there could be a good reason for it. He may not be able to return his fronts. He might be stuck with them or nothing. In that case telling him that he screwed up isn't helping a single thing.

I gotta tell you that the "asking the wrong question" comment was way over the top. And the "Don't ask" comment was worse. The guy apparently was in a situation and he got zero help. Not everyone has the cash to just start over and throw out the first batch. I think there's a good amount of "if you don't want to build a perfect system you're in the wrong place" attitude going on.

Please don't ask me any more about this and please don't expect me to change my mind. I don't want to be involved in a thread of this type. I said my piece and I'm done. I've already said it's going to be hard to get there from where he is. But I took into account that maybe he's stuck in the position he's in already. If I had been the first to respond I would have asked him whether that was the case because if he is no amount of advice that he needs to start over is going to change the fact that he can't start over. Besides that I don't believe it's impossible to match the character of his speakers. It's just very, very hard and it takes a LOT of work and the ability to switch his center speaker at the very least. He may have been locked into his fronts but he should find a situation where he can try different centers until he finds one that works. That's not easy to do but it's his best bet. Again that's how I did things but I came at it from a much different situation where I had no choice. I could swap out my fronts and my center but I would be giving up a lot of hard work that I put into finding the perfect fronts for me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wow, perceptions are funny. This was the bit of advice Max gave to start off, it was the right approach and was expressed tactfully...
and then HE was told he was wrong and the OP kept coming back asking specifically for BAD advice. Then when some decent people tried to direct him in a better direction, they were told they were wrong, using incorrect perceptions to back it up.

It may have been blunt, but the one post about if you don't care what it is, then why ask is right. People were trying to actually help this guy annd keep him from making a mistake. Just figures.

I am willing to admit my "asking the wrong question" post wasn't worded as well as it could have been, but if I go on an auto forum and ask "What's the best bike tire to put on my Ford F350" I should probably take it to heart when I am told it is not the right choice to make.

ticks77

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
eric
john this is not an acurate anology (prob the worst i ever heard) i just wanted to know what the best center i could find for a 100$ was i dont care what brand. but to say: so pick anything doesnt help either its not telling me a good speaker for a 100$ i just hope you dont work at an audio store youd be the worst sells man ever!!! you werent the nicest or most helpfull guy.... What kind of bees dont fly....... WanaBeeeeesss

ticks77

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
eric
jeff u handled that awesome you didnt pick sides and looked at it unbais n called it how you seen it. and that is what happend i need a center and cant return the fronts nor do i want too as they are awesome tower speakers actually just upgraded the 10 inch woofers to dayton RS 10" woofers:emoji_thumbsup: wish there were more ppl like you n brock on this site

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
check out polk audio csi3, since it doesnt matter about brand. Polk offers some very nice centers, overall speakers for that matter. Im running the CSi5 and its a beast but its more than 100 clams. Check out the CSi3, but as others said you should try timbre matching your front soundstage, but its your setup not ours. CSi3, check it out.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Eric, I personnally like Polk speakers. They have a nice center channel for about $200.00. I know that's double your price range. Klipsch makes a decent 2-way center speaker for around $150.00. You have tower speakers, so, don't buy one of those cheap ass little center speakers. There are alot of center channel speakers in your price range, I don't know if they would be good enough for your setup though. Sony and Pioneer make some center speakers in your price range. You can find them on thier websites. Good luck, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks