What's new

Status change for "Independence Day [Blu-ray]" 12/4/07 Release? (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FYI:

On November 20, I received the following e-mail order-update from Amazon.com:

"Hello from Amazon.com.

We are sorry to report that the availability of the following item
has changed:

Jay Acovone (Actor), et al "Independence Day" [Blu-ray]

It is actually not yet released, but we will keep this item on order
for you until it is released. When it becomes available, the
status of the item on the "Your Account" page on our web site
(http://www.amazon.com/) will change from "Not Yet Released" to
its new availability. Per our standard policy, your credit card
will not be charged for this item until it is shipped."

ALSO, The "Independence Day" (Blu-ray) page on Amazon.com has now been changed to the following:

Paul

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Paul,

All I can tell you is that the disc is done. We saw it
during our last visit to Fox.

I'm sure the delay is only temporary.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I wonder whats up with it. I had it on order as well!
Funny side note i got a similar e mail from Amazon for the Face/Off Blu-ray saying it has been pushed back until Jan 08, and would i still want it. How much you wanna bet i get another saying it has been delayed again? :)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I went ahead and cancelled my Amazon order that also included Pirates 3. I'll probably be able to get them later with some future buy 1 get 1 free sale anyhow.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, it's unthinkable that they fooled you guys there with a phony disc.

However, given the problems with Live Free or Die Hard (needing a firmware upgrade on the Samsung BD player) it's quite possible that similar problems (perhaps even more extensive) appeared to exist, now the release was finalized.

Let's hope they solve whatever the problem may be smoothly and quickly!

(BTW: This looks exactly like what happened to the first DVD release of the title, almost ten years ago.)

Cees

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps this disc was delayed because it uploads an alien virus to Mac laptops as some sort of poetic justice. ;)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
lol. DTS-HD MA on id4 would totally rock. one of my fav. emerich movies evar. they never replicated the same type of success in day after tomorrow, godzilla, flyboy, etc.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
It's official: ID4 has been pushed back to March 2008 release due to a "glitch" found in QC process. Bummer! :frowning:

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Brent,

Can you name the source? i.e. Where did you find the information?
It would be interesting to know who gave the reason first.;)

Paul

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Just read it on the front page of The Digital Bits. There's an official statement from 20th Century Fox about the delay.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Hah. Perfection like having the DTS-MA track not work on Die Hard 2? Clearly their QC dept was asleep that day. Let's see if they remaster that too even though they shipped them all out.

I would imagine it was that particular mistake that brought FOX to their senses.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately I can't share your enthusiasm and support of Fox, Paul. It seems like every big BD title they've announced in the past year gets delayed or cancelled for some reason(Ronin, Master and Commander, I Robot, Silence of the Lambs, Man on Fire, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Predator, etc.) and to come up with this excuse a week before ID4 is supposed to be released seems a little fishy to me. Honestly, I think Fox is hurting Blu-Ray more than helping it as a so-called "exclusive" studio. Just my .02 on the subject.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It is still be released on time as far as I'm concerned. I have gotten to the point where I just add 4-8 months to any catalog release date that they announce. It saves me a lot of frustration. :)

I'm glad that I will finally be picking up Mr. and Mrs. Smith in the near future.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Fox has done very little to help Blu-ray and in my opinion. Warner, Sony, and Disney have been carrying the format. I think Fox has been a joke up to this point.

On any rate, is Cast Away still coming?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Fox may have had some delays but I think most of use hear would agree, that the Blu-ray titltes that reached retailers where nothing short of stunning! I would rather have Fox delay a title than release it with problems then make everyone jump through hoops to get the corrected disc. IMHO Fox is proving that they are serious about releasing a good quality Blu-ray title. I choose to give credit where credit is due and say good looking out Fox. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Translation:

"We realize the Blu-Ray format adoptors (who we don't really respect) that frequent internet forums will be whipped into a frenzy if we don't come up with some kind of BS excuse as to the fact that we just don't feel the need to release this title (and many others) at this time. Here are the facts: We never had any intention of fulfilling our announced Q4 lineup which was just a kneejerk reaction to the Paramount announcement. Also, quite frankly we charge too much for our catalog titles so they really don't sell as much as we'd like but rather than lower our MSRP to a fair price we will be holding off Independence Day so sales can be maximized by timing it to coincide with the home video release of Will Smith's I Am Legend sometime next year. If you don't like it then too bad, if you want to ever watch the fantastic films we have in our library you're just shit out of luck. Thanks again for your support"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks