Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Status change for "Independence Day [Blu-ray]" 12/4/07 Release?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 of 59 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 12:57 AM

FYI:

On November 20, I received the following e-mail order-update from Amazon.com:

"Hello from Amazon.com.

We are sorry to report that the availability of the following item
has changed:

Jay Acovone (Actor), et al "Independence Day" [Blu-ray]

It is actually not yet released, but we will keep this item on order
for you until it is released. When it becomes available, the
status of the item on the "Your Account" page on our web site
(http://www.amazon.com/) will change from "Not Yet Released" to
its new availability. Per our standard policy, your credit card
will not be charged for this item until it is shipped."

ALSO, The "Independence Day" (Blu-ray) page on Amazon.com has now been changed to the following:

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#2 of 59 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,154 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 03:49 AM

Paul, All I can tell you is that the disc is done. We saw it during our last visit to Fox. I'm sure the delay is only temporary.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 59 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted November 23 2007 - 04:06 AM

I wonder whats up with it. I had it on order as well!
Funny side note i got a similar e mail from Amazon for the Face/Off Blu-ray saying it has been pushed back until Jan 08, and would i still want it. How much you wanna bet i get another saying it has been delayed again? Posted Image

#4 of 59 OFFLINE   PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 04:09 AM

I went ahead and cancelled my Amazon order that also included Pirates 3. I'll probably be able to get them later with some future buy 1 get 1 free sale anyhow.

#5 of 59 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,831 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 04:13 AM

Yes, it's unthinkable that they fooled you guys there with a phony disc. However, given the problems with Live Free or Die Hard (needing a firmware upgrade on the Samsung BD player) it's quite possible that similar problems (perhaps even more extensive) appeared to exist, now the release was finalized. Let's hope they solve whatever the problem may be smoothly and quickly! (BTW: This looks exactly like what happened to the first DVD release of the title, almost ten years ago.) Cees

#6 of 59 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 05:10 AM

Perhaps this disc was delayed because it uploads an alien virus to Mac laptops as some sort of poetic justice. Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#7 of 59 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,194 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 23 2007 - 09:46 AM

Poetic justice, or karmic retribution? Posted Image
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 59 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,555 posts

Posted November 27 2007 - 02:53 AM

I am so picking up this title on release day! Posted Image Posted Image

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#9 of 59 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,947 posts

Posted November 27 2007 - 03:20 AM

lol. DTS-HD MA on id4 would totally rock. one of my fav. emerich movies evar. they never replicated the same type of success in day after tomorrow, godzilla, flyboy, etc.

#10 of 59 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 04:47 AM

It's official: ID4 has been pushed back to March 2008 release due to a "glitch" found in QC process. Bummer! Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#11 of 59 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 05:25 AM

Brent,

Can you name the source? i.e. Where did you find the information?
It would be interesting to know who gave the reason first.Posted Image

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)

#12 of 59 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 05:27 AM

Just read it on the front page of The Digital Bits. There's an official statement from 20th Century Fox about the delay.

#13 of 59 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 05:39 AM

Thank you FOX. Perfection is the goal when it comes to our collections of movies!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Paul

#14 of 59 OFFLINE   Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 06:22 AM

Hah. Perfection like having the DTS-MA track not work on Die Hard 2? Clearly their QC dept was asleep that day. Let's see if they remaster that too even though they shipped them all out. I would imagine it was that particular mistake that brought FOX to their senses.

#15 of 59 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 06:24 AM

Unfortunately I can't share your enthusiasm and support of Fox, Paul. It seems like every big BD title they've announced in the past year gets delayed or cancelled for some reason(Ronin, Master and Commander, I Robot, Silence of the Lambs, Man on Fire, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Predator, etc.) and to come up with this excuse a week before ID4 is supposed to be released seems a little fishy to me. Honestly, I think Fox is hurting Blu-Ray more than helping it as a so-called "exclusive" studio. Just my .02 on the subject.

#16 of 59 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 06:39 AM

Didn't know about Die Hard 2's DTS-MA track.Posted Image Need to check that out.

Paul

#17 of 59 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 07:48 AM

It is still be released on time as far as I'm concerned. I have gotten to the point where I just add 4-8 months to any catalog release date that they announce. It saves me a lot of frustration. Posted Image

I'm glad that I will finally be picking up Mr. and Mrs. Smith in the near future.

#18 of 59 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,313 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 09:10 AM

Fox has done very little to help Blu-ray and in my opinion. Warner, Sony, and Disney have been carrying the format. I think Fox has been a joke up to this point. On any rate, is Cast Away still coming?

#19 of 59 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,555 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 10:46 AM

Fox may have had some delays but I think most of use hear would agree, that the Blu-ray titltes that reached retailers where nothing short of stunning! I would rather have Fox delay a title than release it with problems then make everyone jump through hoops to get the corrected disc. IMHO Fox is proving that they are serious about releasing a good quality Blu-ray title. I choose to give credit where credit is due and say good looking out Fox. Posted Image

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#20 of 59 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted November 29 2007 - 12:48 PM

Translation:

"We realize the Blu-Ray format adoptors (who we don't really respect) that frequent internet forums will be whipped into a frenzy if we don't come up with some kind of BS excuse as to the fact that we just don't feel the need to release this title (and many others) at this time. Here are the facts: We never had any intention of fulfilling our announced Q4 lineup which was just a kneejerk reaction to the Paramount announcement. Also, quite frankly we charge too much for our catalog titles so they really don't sell as much as we'd like but rather than lower our MSRP to a fair price we will be holding off Independence Day so sales can be maximized by timing it to coincide with the home video release of Will Smith's I Am Legend sometime next year. If you don't like it then too bad, if you want to ever watch the fantastic films we have in our library you're just shit out of luck. Thanks again for your support"
Death before Streaming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users