Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Unreleased Christmas specials on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 ONLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted November 21 2007 - 09:09 PM

Dear DVDphiles:

This year I picked up the newly released on DVD, Berke Breathed's "A Wish for Wings that Work." I think it's one of the fewer and fewer Christmas specials that haven't made it to digital yet.

Some that haven't made it to DVD yet, include the Richard Williams version of A Christmas Carol. (You should see how much and old VHS copy of it costs on Ebay). Perhaps some other Rankin-Bass classics like The Leprecahn's Christmas Gold, The Little Drummer Boy Book 2, The Stingiest Man in Town, The First Christmas Snow . . .haven't made it out either.

What about you guys? What are some of your favorite seasonal specials that haven't come out yet?

JamesSmith

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,944 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 12:39 AM

I would like to see a re-release of A Muppet Family Christmas. It was on DVD for about 5 minutes in 2001. Discs go for big bucks now on ebay.

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 12:50 AM

For anyone who cares (though it only has a razor-thin application to this topic), A VERY SPECIAL CHRISTMAS: 20th Anniversary Music Video Collection came out on Tuesday, and proceeds go to the Special Olympics. I spent about $11.50 (shipping included) just for U2's "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" video!
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Bingo

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 03:48 AM

Still waiting for a release of John Denver and the Muppets Christmas on DVD. The soundtrack is played every year in our family.
Steve Blair

My DVD Collection

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Joe*A

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 04:19 AM

I'm hoping to see two wonderful Oscar Wilde adaptations: The Selfish Giant and The Happy Prince. They were a staple to Christmas programming here in Canada in the 70s and would love to see them again.

#6 of 36 ONLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 05:03 AM

Joe A--I think I remember those two Oscar Wilde specials. If they're the two I'm thinking of--they were great adaptations. Have no idea who has the rights--but I hope they come out on DVD as well.

JamesSmith

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   Don3996

Don3996

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 07:22 AM

I still await A Very Brady Christmas to complete my collection. I already owned all the seasons when the Complete Collection came out which included this special, I wasnt about to rebuy them all just for this special.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Joe*A

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 08:01 AM

According to IMdb, The Selfish Giant garnered an Oscar nomination for best short subject feature. Another reason for anyone who has the rights to this gem TO RELEASE IT ON DVD BEFORE CHRISTMAS 2007 - PA...LEASE!!!!!

And while your at it - don't forget The Happy Prince.....

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   pghjerry

pghjerry

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 10:20 AM

A Cosmic Christmas !!! I used to love this as a kid, and still love it.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 12:32 PM

The Night Before Christmas that tells the story of the writer and his sick daughter.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 12:49 PM

Anyone remember that animated version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL that CBS ran every thanksgiving late morning-early afternoon from in the mid-1970's-early - 1980's sponsered by KENNER?

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 02:50 PM

This isn't a special but a made-for-TV movie, "The Three Kings," starring Jack Warden and Lou Diamond Phillips and written by Stirling Silliphant, produced by Aaron Spelling. It was shown ONCE -- on ABC in 1987 -- and has never been aired on TV again. I can't understand why, because it's one of the best Christmas movies I've ever seen. I'd give anything to have it on DVD.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 22 2007 - 03:08 PM

I said this elsewhere and rather than retype it, paste:

Andy Williams and the NBC Kids Search for Santa with Lisa Bonet, Tempestt Bledsoe, Keshia Knight Pulliam and Malcolm-Jamal Warner from the Cosby Show, Soleil Moon Frye, Cherie Johnson, Ami Foster, and Casey Ellison from Punky Brewster, Joey Lawrence from Gimmie a Break with kid brother Matthew Lawrence, I believe before his Gimmie a Break stint, Alfonso Ribeiro from Silver Spoons but best known now for Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Mindy Cohn from Facts of Life and I do believe Topo Gigio appears as well, if not in this one then in the sequel, Easter in Rome, he may have been in both. Easter in Rome features the Lawrence brothers, Kim Fields of Facts of Life, Tina Yothers of Family Ties, Danny Ponce of Valerie also known as The Hogan Family and Pope John Paul II.

I want the Christmas one most of all but the Easter one would make the package nicer.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#14 of 36 ONLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 03:51 PM

Also forgot the seventies telemovie, The Gathering with Ed Asner. Deserves a second chance on DVD.

As for the Kenner A Christmas Carol that was shown quite frequently on CBS in the seventies. That would be nice to come out on DVD as well. It did come out on VHS about 9 years ago. And I do have a copy of it. Hopefully somebody else will put it out. I remember one critic in a book on all the different versions of A Christmas Carol just trashed it, but I liked it for sentimental reasons.

Here's hoping they all show up eventually.

JamesSmith

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted November 22 2007 - 04:22 PM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the 'Star Wars Holiday Special' yet.

Edit: oh yeah...this is a thread for specials that people actually want on DVD. Posted Image

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Will_C

Will_C

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted November 23 2007 - 03:41 AM

ABC Family airs all those Rankin Bass Christmas Specials on at least one Saturday, sometimes two, in the month of December. If you get that channel, and you have a dvr with a dvd burner in it, you can just make your own dvds like I did. I really wanted the Leprechaun's Christmas Gold and that was the way I made a dvd-r copy of it. As for the Muppet Family Christmas, glad I picked it up years ago. Love watching it on Christmas Eve. Had no idea it was a hot item on eBay.

The Christmas special I'd like to see released on dvd is A Smokey Mountain Christmas with Dolly Parton and Lee Majors. I haven't seen that since I was about 14 years old. A really feel good holiday tv movie.
Rick Hunter
USMC Force Recon Scout Sniper
"If you run, you'll only die tired."

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   MattQuack

MattQuack

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 03:25 AM

I'd like to see The Christmas Toy on DVD....I still need to pick up Will Vinton's Claymation Christmas.

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,597 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 04:52 AM

MST3K Santa Claus (very terrible Mexican film with Satan's demon Pitch battling Santa)

does this countPosted Image

all-banner.jpg

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted November 24 2007 - 10:16 AM

Am I the ONLY person who wants the classic 1967 version of Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory starring Geraldine Page on DVD? This is the THIRD time in as many threads on this forum that I have asked about this, and I am shocked that no one even seems to care......
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   David Stone

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted November 25 2007 - 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghjerry
A Cosmic Christmas !!! I used to love this as a kid, and still love it.

Yes!!! This one is at the top of my list, also. I have it on a very old VHS retail tape "Nelvanamation Four Cosmic Fantasies in One", but it's degraded so badly that I cannot get it to play for a transfer to DVD recorder. Posted Image (The tape also includes "The Devil and Daniel Mouse", "Rome-O and Julie-8", "Please Don't Eat the Planet".)

"Rich Little's Christmas Carol" would have been made this list, but it was finally released on DVD last week. Posted Image
"I don't want my B&W films colorized, my films cropped in any way (including matting 4:3 OAR TV for 16x9 TV!!) or my Star Wars films 'special editioned'!"
Preserve our film history for future generations!