What's new

Sharp BDHP2OU - Anyone have this BD player? (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Howdy folks...wondering if anyone has it and what they think of it. As well, it does not appear on the coupon list for the 5 free BD movies but am told by my preferred retailer it is an eligible player. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
This player is in Best Buy with 5 free movies immediately priced $34.99 or less. I don't know if that supercedes the mail-in rebate or not. The offer expires in store on 12/1/07. I, too, was wondering about anyone's experience with this player.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The rave reviews for the Panasonic has pretty much muted any talk about the Sharp. The sharp isn't BDJ 1.1 compliant.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I did buy this one and live in Canada so no BD disks with it. I believe it the first BD player from Sharp. Existing coupons didnt list this player as eligible, however, the online BD 5 free coupon does have it, at least in Canada.

So far, am happy with it. Very fast load times; very easy to hook up and set set up and a good remote. It isnt back lit, but the it is uncluttered and easy to use (very unlike the HDA1 remote I have). Excellent playback at 27 fps and one thing I like as well is that you can turn off all the lights on the front of the unit with the remote. Also appreciate the total lack of any HDMI handshake issues which did plague the HDA1 until I got a system down.

My retailer, HT specialty store says that Sharp has been excellent in regards to customer service and no one has as yet reported any DB disk issues with this player.

Hope this helps.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Hi Peter,

i am also interested in this player. Can you describe the loudness of the fan and the playing mechanism? Did you test discs that other players have problems with (Java Titles; Pirates of the Carabean, Die Hard 4)

Thank you in advance

Hartwig

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Hartwig:

It seemed totally quiet to me and I have a dedicated HT room, however I will actually make a point of listening for it. I do have the 60" Sony Grand Wega (2005 model) and that does have some fan noise which may actually mask the player. Will let you know.

I just bought Die Hard 4 and will try that one as well (am working nights this week but will try and check it out shortly). No problems with Reign of Fire or Wild Hogs, the first two I watched.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Here's my post from AVS on a problem I'm having with this player. Anyone have thoughts?

I just picked up this player, and when watching Black Hawk Down, I only get 2.1 (L/R/Sub) when I select 5.1 uncompressed PCM. I have it hooked up via HDMI to a Marantz SR4001. If I select the DD 5.1, I get 5 channels and the DD light on the receiver. Also, when I play the test tones from the player, I only get left, right and sub.

I have the audio output on the player set to HDMI out and "Auto." With this setup, shouldn't I get the uncompressed PCM 5.1? If not, what should my settings be? Will I get TrueHD when I play a BD that has it?

EDIT: Also, I tried another disk and switched out my HDMI cable and had the player set to both auto and PCM - same result. When I play the uncompressed PCM track, it's not as if the entire track is playing through the stereo speakers; I only get what's in those channels, e.g., music, atmospheric sounds, etc., no dialogue, no surround.

One more thing: when playing the uncompressed PCM track, all 5 speaker lights on the receiver light up even though I'm only getting 2.1 sound.

So, does anyone think this is a bum player, or could there be a player/receiver setting I'm overlooking? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Today I had the chance to watch Die Hard 4. I was surprised at how long it took to load, compared to Wild Hogs and Reign of Fire; the only 2 other BD movies I have had the chance to watch so far. I would say it took almost 25 seconds to confirm it was reading a BD disk, and then another 30 seconds to ge to the menu screen. Once I started it though; no problems....but one observation.

I selected the DD 5.1 English option in the audio menu, however, for the first time ever, I noticed my Denon 2803 display "Neo: 6c." No other DVD has done that, and that is through a coax connection. I could only get PLII or DTS neo 6c, which would just go to Neo; 6c a few seconds later. not sure what to make of that...any comments? What is 'Neo 6c' and why would it go from DTS Neo 6c to just Neo 6c?

Dennis, while I don't have the HDMI connection, it is shown in the on screen set up and on pages 33 and 34 of the manual. From what you say, you have it connected correctly so I can only think that the issue is somewhere in your receiver settings and not the player.

It's a little hard to offer a solution not having your connection, but as you see, I have an enigma on my hands as well, so not sure what to make of that.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
This player will be gone tomorrow.

I continue to be able to play back in Neo:6 only...period, regardless of my receiver or player settings. Fearing it could be a reciever malfunction on my end, I played around with the settings for some time with the same results. I then went to my retailer and got the same results. Not good.

I bought Pixar Shorts today and while I got audio (again neo:6c only) for all the menu and 'coming soon' etc., portions of the BD disk, as soon as I pressed 'Play all' or tried to play individual shorts; there was no audio. Again, I tried the player at my retailer with the same results. Then I played it on a Pioneer and Sony (BD500) and while the load time is longer than for any BD disk I have bought so far, there were no play back issues.

As a result of the above, I am bringing this player back tomorrow and will be getting the Sony BD500.

Hope this helps anyone currrently considering this player. Cheers

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I'm afraid I'll have to disagree. While I don't have Pixar Shorts, I'm getting DD THD and LPCM through HDMI with the setting at "PCM Surround". I'm using an Onkyo 604 AVR (no internal advanced audio decoding) and the Sharp decodes it for me. Excellent sound and picture quality. My only 2 gripes: slow Java menus (I assume fixable via FW upgrades) and the fact that the Setup menu pops up each time I boot up w/o a disc (anyone else getting this?).

For the player and 5 movies of my choice, $360 out the door. I couldn't beat that. I considered the Panny BD30, but no internal advanced codec decoding and I don't want to go back to analog inputs just to get LPCM when it's available.

Dennis: I had to use "PCM Surround" rather than "Auto" as the HDMI setting. "Auto" defaulted to DD on Spiderman 3.

Having said that, I haven't had a chance to really play with the Sharp yet but plan to this weekend. So far I'm impressed.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Ted...good luck with that. Perhaps my issues stem from using digital coax for audio and HDMI for video only.

I am dissapointed as I did like the relatively fast load times, the remote and the picture quality as well..I just couldnt get it to display anything but Neo 6cand PLII and of course the issue with Pixars Shorts. Hopefully, with HDMI for both audio and video; you will not experience what I did.

For info...I am getting the BD500 from Sony for 499 CAD...apparently yesterday there was a price drop though I am not sure if that is permanent or just temporary. In any case, the list on that has been 699 in CAD so the new price point comes at a good time!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Peter,
Have you thought about the Panasonic BD30? It's profile 1.1 compliant unlike the Sony(or Sharp) and will send bitstream audio(including DTS MA) to a receiver/pre. The Sony won't sent DTS MA thru Bitstream.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Shane...thanks for the suggestion. I had actually looked at the 10A which came with 5 free BDs in the box, and with the BD offer would have made 10. In either case, Sharp or Panasonic, they would have been stop-gap till I get the Onkyo 805, but that's on hold pending a career change, so I just went staright for the BD500 which is HDMI 1.3 compliant and got a nice price drop this week.

Again...thanks!

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Boy...the price on this player is looking so attractive but I do have one concern. I understand that this player can accept a firmware upgrade. Can it be done by requesting an upgrade firmware disc from Sharp, I hope? I read somewhere (gasp) that firmware upgrades can only be done by Sharp and it involves mailing in the unit...say it ain't so.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
That most certainly isn't so. I did a firmware upgrade the day I bought it this past weekend, downloading the file to an ipod shuffle and plugging the shuffle into the USB port in the back of the unit. Went off without a hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks