What's new

'Groundhog Day' - will the new AE be worth a triple-dip? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Sony have announced a 15th Anniversary edition of 'Groundhog Day' for release in February. As the present special edition seems technically pretty good and already includes a commentary and other extras, I'm just wondering what could possibly tempt me into a triple dip on this new edition.

In any case, issuing a 15th anniversary edition of anything smacks a bit of desperation. 10th, 20th and 25th anniversaries may be fair game, but 15th anniversaries??

Does anyone know whether Sony have actually remastered it?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There aren't too many titles that have me consider a triple-dip...but this would be one of them.

A quick peak at amazon.com shows that there is, indeed, a pre-order up for a new release. Amazon has a date of January 29, 2008, though.

No other specs are listed...except for the stars of the film: Carol Bivins, Rick Ducommun, Robin Duke, Chris Elliott, Willie Garson. :D And a price of $14.99.

Don't see any HD release around the same time. :frowning:

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like there might be a few new extras. DVD Active is reporting that: "Extras will include an audio commentary with Director Harold Ramis, a Weight of Time Documentary, The Study of Groundhogs: A Real Life Look at Marmots featurette, A Different Day: An Interview with Harold Ramis, and deleted scenes."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I..fool that I am...will definitely triple-dip for an audio commentary by Harold Ramis. The man could read the phone book and I would be laughing long after he stopped.

His facial reactions as the new recruits were all introducing themselves in Stripes gets me every time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
That's funny. As soon as I pushed "Submit" on that post I actually stood up to go check on that very thing...because I thought it was there...but wasn't sure. I got distracted...and here we are!

Thanks. Matt! :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This is one of my favorite movies (like many I'm sure, I pop it in every February). But the new extras (groundhog documentary, deleted scenes) aren't enough for me to upgrade from the SE. I think I'll pass (at least until it eventually ends up in $5 sales).

Casey C.

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this up yesterday -- I owned the SE but somehow lost it a few months ago. So I'm familiar with the SE but don't have it on hand for direct comparison.

The video is probably the same as the SE, or at least it doesn't look remastered to me. It starts out a little shaky/flickery in the beginning (the credits over the sky and clouds) but looks good for most of the movie. It's also a little dark but I think that's mostly just the look of the film.

The Harold Ramis commentary is recycled from the SE (he says of Willie Garson, "Now he's on that show, what is it called? 'Sex and the City,' I think"). It's a pretty good commentary though; Ramis is laid-back and leaves some dead spots, but there's a lot of good info.

Interview with Harold Ramis is new. It's short (9 minutes) but interesting; he talks more about the spiritual meaning people find in the film. Also discusses shooting with the groundhog ("Don't drive angry!") and how Tom Hanks (who was considered for the Phil Connors role) wouldn't have been as good as Bill Murray. Also: It's in anamorphic widescreen.

"Weight of Time" making-of feature (24 minutes) is the same as the SE -- it's well-done but it's in 4x3; clips from the film are widescreen but matted into a 4x3 screen.

"The Study of Groundhogs: A Real-Life Look at Marmots" (6 minutes): The opening of this is so overly earnest and serious that I thought it was going to be a parody, but it's not; it's actually scientists talking about the lives of groundhogs, a.k.a. woodchucks. Maybe interesting for the Animal Planet crowd, but not for me. At least it's anamorphic.

Deleted Scenes: These are new but kind of disappointing. They're mostly just Phil showing off things he's learned from days of practice: bowling a 300 game, being an expert pool player, etc. They're repetitive and don't add much insight, and you can see why they were left on the cutting-room floor. Also, I know deleted scenes usually aren't cleaned up anyway, but some of these are in really bad shape; lots of dirt and scratches.

Overall a better disc than the SE, but if you have the SE, it's probably not worth a double (or triple) dip.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Casey: Thanks for the mini-review. It was the deleted scenes which were of particular interest to me. But...this would be a triple-dip...and I wonder how long I would have to wait for an HD version.

But still...it would be cool to see scenes from this film I haven't seen before... :D This one's a household favorite.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The ABC News website has a little feature today on "Best SNL Alum Films".
They have 19 movies listed.

They don't have this film...so, the list is rubbish.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That is one screwed up list. In the text they even admit some of the films they include sucked.

The first several were legitimate...but the last several were really reaching. And why 19? And why no Bill Murray movies (outside Caddyshack)? Stripes needs to be on that list, too. And compared to some of the others, What About Bob? should be on there.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I assume they didn't want to have it be dominated by Murray. If we really wanted a top 19 "SNL" alumni flick, it'd have to include:

"Quick Change" - the BEST Murray movie!
"What About Bob?"
"Groundhog Day"
"Ghostbusters"
"Stripes"
"Caddyshack"
"Lost In Translation"
"Rushmore"

And probably some others I can't think of right now. (I can't stand "Meatballs" so it was intentionally omitted.)

Heck, "Ghostbusters II" is better than many of the flicks on that list. "Ladies Man"? "Black Sheep"? "Deuce Bigalow"? "HOUSEGUEST"???

And it's silly to count flicks like "When Harry Met Sally" or "Spinal Tap". Yes, "Tap" has three "SNL" castmembers - six, if you count Billy Crystal, Dana Carvey and Paul Shaffer - but NO ONE thinks of it as a movie from "SNL" people. When it came out, only Shearer had been prominent on the show at all, and he was only a castmember for a year pre-"Tap".

Billy Crystal was already famous when he joined "SNL" - none of his flicks should count.

But cripes, I'd nitpick less if the list wasn't so God-awful God-awful! :frowning:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I assume they didn't want to have it be dominated by Murray. If we really wanted a top 19 "SNL" alumni flick, it'd have to include:

"Quick Change" - the BEST Murray movie!
"What About Bob?"
"Groundhog Day"
"Ghostbusters"
"Stripes"
"Caddyshack"
"Lost In Translation"
"Rushmore"

And probably some others I can't think of right now. (I can't stand "Meatballs" so it was intentionally omitted.)

Heck, "Ghostbusters II" is better than many of the flicks on that list. "Ladies Man"? "Black Sheep"? "Deuce Bigalow"? "HOUSEGUEST"???

And it's silly to count flicks like "When Harry Met Sally" or "Spinal Tap". Yes, "Tap" has three "SNL" castmembers - six, if you count Billy Crystal, Dana Carvey and Paul Shaffer - but NO ONE thinks of it as a movie from "SNL" people. When it came out, only Shearer had been prominent on the show at all, and he was only a castmember for a year pre-"Tap".

Billy Crystal was already famous when he joined "SNL" - none of his flicks should count.

But cripes, I'd nitpick less if the list wasn't so God-awful God-awful! :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Amen, brother!

I'd forgotten about Rushmore. I don't even know Quick Change.

I was the guy who actually liked Murray's remake of The Razor's Edge. Saw it in the theaters and loved it. I do NOT own the DVD. Should change that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link, Tony. It's like the movie never happened...as far as I'm concerned. Never heard of it...even after reading the description, nothing rings a bell.

The amazon listing is $12.99 (widescreen). Deep Discount has it for $8.63...but it says "fullscreen." D'ya happen to know if they released two different versions (ARs)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks