What's new

BD-P1000 won't play Live Free or Die Hard (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just did the most recent FW update for the player, the one for the Fantastic 4 issue and the player will not play LFoDH.

The disc loads, it thinks for a long time, the screen shows "slidshow" on the player, the Simpson Trailer plays with no sound and then nothing, it locks up. I've reloaded the FW twice now, I've unplugged the player. I just won't play.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Did a search over at AVS and it seems I'm not the only one with the problem. Seems Samsung just can't get things right. I'm guessing I'll have to wait a month to get a new FW update to be able to play this title as I had to do with F4.

Hope I don't have to go through this process with every new Blu-ray disc that comes out.

I was seriously considering their new combo-player, not a chace now.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting that you blame Samsung. I put this kind of stuff square on the shoulders of Fox and their stubborn copy protection schemes. I haven't had any issues with any other studio's discs on my BD-P1000.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep, this Samsung player was the first BR player on the market and now that the studios are loading up their discs with so much cutting edge stuff including copy protection, I wouldn't be too hard on Samsung which delivered a pretty good first generation player while their BR partners took their time with their hardware that are still lacking in playing all of the advance audio codecs.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Advanced audio codecs is a small issue compared to being able to at least spin the disc, maybe Samsung should have taken a bit more time with their first gen player so it could at least to that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've own four different HD/BR players and each of them had issues with certain discs with the Samsung having the least problems.

Furthermore, you can blame Samsung all you want, but when you buy first generation players that's the chance you take that discs down the road with future features will have problems without the players having some firmware updates to solve such problems.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Taking more time doesn't help if content providers like Fox insist on adding coding after-the-fact that trips up the player. Should Samsung have waited untl after the release of LFoDH? Or is it Fox who should be blamed for failing to make their disc compatble with existing Samsung players? (I'd say the latter.)

Also, I think you're missing Crawdaddy's point. He's noting that, for all the extra time other BR partners took with their hardware, what they ended up delivering wasn't a significant improvement over the Samsung. Yes, those players will spin up this latest effort from Fox (as far as I know), but that says more about Fox's QC department than about Samsung.

M.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
That says more about other manufactures than about Samsung. Why is Samsung the only one with this problem? I don't recall other manufactures having non-playing issues with F4:2 and I haven't read yet on any others with problems playing Die Hard.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ron,

I have the Samsung BD-P1000 and it plays "Live Free or Die Hard" just fine;).

It seems you don't have the latest FW. Version 1.3 that came out on November 19, 2007.

Paul

Edit: Here is the link to FW Version1.3.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Really?

According to Samsung, who I just got off the phone with this morning said 1.2 is the most recent and that they are working on a new one to fix the Die Hard problem.

Yet another reason I won't be buying another Samsung product. They can't seem to get their shit together with this stuff.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Spinning the disc is never the problem. Proceeding after you (tried to) read some of the initiating content could be.

You could also have said, and according to me more accurately: Now Fox is finally hitting the market with their BDs, they should at least be able to spin up on every player. ;)
But apparently, that's asking too much of them...

Cees

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, thanks to Shane and Paul I was able to get the FW burned and loaded into the player. It worked and the movie spun, although, it loaded very, very slowly and I cannot bring up the menu without the movie pausing itself.

At least it's nice to have the FW that Samsung told me this morning won't be ready for at least a week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Samsung is like just about every other company that has problems with their customer support personnel. However, I just got through playing this disc with the latest firmware update so I'm not going to complain about them not satisfying my needs as a consumer.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep, since you apparently have a thing against Samsung, it's probably best you try some other brand name for your next player.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Plan to update my BD-P1000 this evening. Kudos to Samsung for continuing to support their first generation player.

(Thanks for the firmware link, BTW.)

- Walter.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I will. I was planning to buy their new combo-player, after this, no longer. I'll wait and see what others bring to the table.

Toshiba (and others) have never given me such frustration when dealing with them, and their A1 has worked perfect for almost two years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks