Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF HD-DVD REVIEW: 2001: A Space Odyssey - Highly Recommended

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,854 posts

Posted November 18 2007 - 10:56 PM

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted November 19 2007 - 02:19 AM

Kevin, thanks for another fine review. I had a chance to watch the HD DVD release last weekend and what a job Warner did on this release. Picture and Sound were spot on (I assume it is the same on the BD version). This movie has held up remarkably well for a title thats approaching 40 years old. The special effects, both practical and optical, have been seldom equaled, and maybe never surpased. All in all, a wonderful release. This is the type of release that keeps me excited about these new formats.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,826 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 19 2007 - 03:26 AM

I feel I have to echo Thomas' assessment,
Up until Saturday, I had never seen 2001. I still might not have but I got a good deal on it and decided to give it a chance. While I do not understand in the least what Kubrick was trying to get across with the monolith on the moon making a high-pitched sound (and jumping 18 months ahead with no explanation of what happened) and the scene at the end of the Jupiter mission with the 17th century furniture, the old man and the baby in space, the film is still a good way to spend two and a half hours. The image and sound is breathtaking and has definately held up well for a 40 year old film. I did have a minor technical glitch in that when I first put the disc in my HD-A1, it played in 480p and I had to manually switch it to 1080i...very strange indeed. Overall, this is a good release and well worth the price of admission.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,652 posts

Posted November 19 2007 - 03:37 AM

2001 was the first laserdisc that I bought, and it is the Criterion version. So it seemed fitting that 2001 was the first HD-DVD and first HDM I bought just a few weeks ago. A fantastic disc for sure! Great review Kevin, can't agree more with it.

Clinton, everyone has their own interpretation of 2001. If you're game, it requires multible viewings. Here's a cool site that explains the film, but this is too easy! http://www.kubrick2001.com/

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted November 19 2007 - 04:19 AM

I didn't understand the film either on my first viewing, and this was long before the internet, so I decided to pick up Aurthur C. Clarke's novel. I can't tell you what an appreciation it gave me for the film, and vice versa. I consider them (the film and book) to be critical companion pieces. Fans should (perhaps must) drink at both wells.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   FredHD

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted November 27 2007 - 04:00 PM

I'm so hot in the seat to see the HD version of this.

I was supposed to watch it tonight, but Netflix bricked on delivery today. Posted Image

Thanks for the review.
"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

#7 of 8 Guest_Hank_*

Guest_Hank_*

Posted November 27 2007 - 10:12 PM

I've seen the film before on laserdisc (Criterion & MGM SE) and own the SE mini-box DVD with OMPST. After viewing my HD DVD, it was the absolute best presentation yet I've seen. I wish I was older to have seen this in 70mm.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted November 28 2007 - 01:06 AM

If I don't get this as a stocking stuffer at Christmas (I officially get my A2 at Christmas--got to play with it for one evening to make sure it works, but it's back in its box for the next month Posted Image ), then it will be in the first batch of titles I pick up on Boxing Day (and will be among the first I watch--Monday night's test viewing of Serenity in HD DVD doesn't count as I was dissecting performance, not really "watching the movie".).
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users