What's new

Who's using component? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
About 5 years ago I bought the Pioneer SD-533HD5. It's a rear projection CRT that I have been very happy with.

I think it still has the best stretch modes I've seen, Hi-Def programming looks awesome and DVDs continue to look great on it. And I dare say that I think the picture looks better than many of the newer LCD and Plasma sets I see.

Anyway, as most of you know (or some of you may have guessed), my set does not have any HDMI inputs. Just component. I fear it will be at least 5 more years until the wife lets me buy another big set, but I know I will want to get into HD-DVD or Blu-ray before then. Heck, I want to now! (though the two formats and split studios are still holding me back) So back to my original question...

Is anyone using HD-DVD or Blu-ray using component connections? If so, how's it been looking? Are you happy with it? Is it still a huge improvement over DVD? Do all players support component and is any software being flagged so that you don't get the highest quality picture? As I said, DVDs look great on this set, which is good because there isn't even an upconverting DVD player that I know of that will work with component.

As much as I have loved my set these past years, I can't help but think I jumped in too early.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I have an Elite Pro-610HD, purchased Dec 2000, so I'm in the same boat as you, using component inputs. I just bought an HD-A2 with the $99 Wal-Mart sale. HD-DVDs look great, although the excessive overscan in HD mode is annoying. I'd really like to get a good cleaning/calibration by Mr. Bob or somebody qualified to get the full HD enjoyment out of this set. But I start to worry about the longevity of the set at this point. I'm afraid I might sink some serious money into improving it now and then it will die in a year. But the picture is generally fantastic, still much better than all but the best flat panels out there today.

To my knowledge they haven't been restricting the 1080i via component on any HD DVDs or Blu-rays yet. Hopefully that continues. I recently learned about this little item which gets good reviews and would work with my Elite which has an RGBHV (VGA-style) HD input:

http://www.hdfury.com/
http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury.shtm

I believe this would allow me to upconvert DVDs too.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I'm using an older Samsung CRT 1080i HDTV with one component input. I currently run a PS3 and Xbox 360 with HD DVD add on through my H&K AVR for switching. I'm completely satisfied with the picture I get with this setup. It looks as good as, and sometimes better than, any of the newer sets I've seen my friends using. The only downside is that the next upgrade is going to be brutal, since I'll need a comparable AVR that takes HDMI and a larger screen TV, but that's probably at least a year in the future. Hopefully by that time, the platforms and standards will have stabilized enough to get something at least a little future proof.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I've had both HD DVD and BD hooked up via component at various times. As far as I could see, there is no discernible difference between component or HDMI. Both look excellent. I don't see either format using the downrez flag on component in the forseeable future.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The only way the ICT flag will trip you up is if you buy a couple of the European high-def releases that do have the ICT flag in place, and prevents video output via the component video ports. But for now, the US high def releases are being released without the ICT flag activated.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
On first sight this looks like an urban legend to me, Patrick. I own several European HD DVDs, and I'm not aware of any having the ICT flag to "on".

Are there any reports on that? And lists?
Whatever is true of it, it's not common practice here!

Cees

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It appears to be some confusion on whether or not the German version of Resident Evil has the ICT set to active on it. Wikipedia's entry on AACS, footnote 10 (Scroll down to "Plugging the Analog Hole" in the article) makes a passing mention, but perhaps that's what triggered my memory on European releases with ICT turned on.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! It'll still be awhile for me, but it's nice to know that I'll be able to enjoy Hi-def discs when the time comes. Maybe by this time next year the "war" will be decided (doubt it) or there will be a reasonably priced dual fomat player. I'd say 300.00 - 400.00 sounds good to me!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Unfortunately, I cannot be of any help in this case, because I don't own that title.

Perhaps one of our members does....

(Let's just say: on first sight I doubt it. But if the bit is on, I wonder why - a mistake, perhaps?)

Cees

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
As others have said there is nothing to worry about when using component over HDMI. Jump in as soon as you're able because it really is a lot fun. :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I own both HD players and the only reason I am using component right now is that I do not have enough HDMI inputs on my HDTV. And currently my older Yamaha RX-V995 does not have HDMI or component switching. But for now I am using HDMI for my Blu-ray player and component for my HD-DVD player. And so far the HD-DVD player using component looks very good. I feel it looks better than SD-DVD over component.

I am now saving up for ether a new Denon or Pioneer Elite receiver so I can have both component and HDMI, it should be really cool. :cool:

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
1080P doesn't affect me and won't for a while. My current projector is capable of 1080I and is component via 3/4 BNC connections.
(RGB, CHDTV YPbPr, Component, CHDTV GBR)

What do I need...what can I get..to allow for 1080I output with standard DVD discs?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have the same set that you have, Ric, and I would echo everything you have said about it. Even with a user level calibration (not ISF'd) it still blows away anything I have seen to date.

I went HD in December of last year with an A2. I then went Blu in July with a Panny 10AK, and just upgraded my HD box to a A35. All via component.
PQ is fantastic, assuming the PQ of the disc itself is up to par. Like all digital media, not all discs look (or sound) great.

I have no worries that studios will start using ICT on new releases. If they did, we would be all over it, and neither side would be so stupid as to do something like that in the midst of a format war.

Brian

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

To my knowledge, there are no HD players that upconvert protected DVD's over component. You can rip your discs to remove copy protection, and re-burn them, but that seems like an awful look of effort to me.

I have done it once just to try it on my Tosh A2, and yes, it works, but it took way too long for me to consider doing again.

Brian

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Scooter, I think you can do one of the following:

1. get an Oppo DVD player and use hacked firmware which allows HD over component (AVSForum has a thread with links to that)

2. get a device like the HD Fury that I talked about above. HD or DVD player out via HDMI --- HDMI to DVI cable into HD Fury --- RGB out of HD Fury into projector, at 1080i in your case (and mine). I don't have one but it looks like what I'd need to upconvert DVDs.

HD Fury FAQ: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5282

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Thanks for the input Glenn. The "wires out" aspect of the Fury is something I couldn't find on their website. It seemed it only a VGA type of output. Something not on my 400Q.

EDIT: I looked again and saw a breakout cable on one of the forms they offer. Seems to me there was an HTF advertiser who showed something that looked like an HDMI/DVI to 3 BNC connectors.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Glad to hear from you, Brian! And glad you still love your set! Last December I helped my Dad pick out a Samsung LCD, it looked great in the store (with an HD signal) but I gotta tell you, when I looked at DVDs through it, I was very disappointed. I can only describe the picture as a little muddy, noisy and sometimes pixelated. Truthfully, I was shocked. It could be the cheap DVD player (still a name brand, I think it was a JVC) I got to go with it, or most probably a combination of both the player and the TV. Not sure if other LCD's have the same hangups, but it sure makes me appreciate my big giant RP!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
LCD and SD material don't always produce a pleasing picture on the LCD screen, LCD is more suited for 720p and 1080 sources. It's just one of the minor drawbacks of new high def technology, as older SD material won't look as good on LCD.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Patrick! It's obviously something I was unaware of. How do Plasmas fare with SD material? Or DLPs? Funny, I was always jealous of you folks that were able to upconvert your DVDs thru HDMI, but what I am getting through my own set may be better anyway, even though its pretty much dead technology.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I too have a rear projection CRT (Toshiba 65H84) and love it. If I were shopping for a set today I would buy another one (if I could). Mine actually has an HDMI input - it was one of the first on the market to have one. I had done my research at the time and the HDMI connection was a big selling point for me, although I always thought it was funny that they would include one on a set only capable of 1080i.

I just switched to HDMI last night as my Onkyo 605 came in yesterday. Previous to that I was running everything over component (including an HD-A3) with my old Onkyo 602 handling the switching. So far I've had mixed results. The HD-A3 looks the same, but cable (still component from the cable box to the Onkyo) looks worse. I still need to tweak the receiver a little bit, I suspect. I would have no problem at all staying component, though. I'm a CRT die hard, and think they produce the best picture when compared to plasma and LCD even when the CRT is running on component.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks