Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need new amp for passive subs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 06:45 PM

I have a pair of SVS 16-46CS+ subs that I've been running off a Samson S1000 amp for the past 5 years. Well tonight I noticed that the amp was indicating the protection circuit was tripped for one of the amps and power is definitely not being sent to the sub. I removed all connections to the amp and that didn't change anything, so I'm assuming it's dead, and it's well out of warranty.

I sent an e-mail to SVS to see what they recommend, but I figured I should go ahead and get some recommendations for a replacement amp.

I've seen the Behringer EP1500 (450 watts RMS @ 4 ohms per channel)and EP2500 (750 watts RMS @ 4 ohms per channel) for what seem like really cheap prices at J&R and Partsexpress.com. Anybody have any other suggestions? I have yet to find any Samson amps being sold by someone I'm familiar with.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 07:08 PM

Is it a circuit breaker type circuit? If so, did you push it back and see if that fixed it?

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted November 17 2007 - 03:01 AM

If you go with Behringer, budget an extra $12 for a super quiet, 80cm, 24vdc fan. It sounds like a small airplane with the stock fan.

-Robert

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted November 17 2007 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice
Is it a circuit breaker type circuit? If so, did you push it back and see if that fixed it?
Nope, nothing of the sort. Just a light on the front. There's a single breaker type switch on the back, but that's fine, and it would affect both channels.

Quote:
If you go with Behringer, budget an extra $12 for a super quiet, 80cm, 24vdc fan. It sounds like a small airplane with the stock fan.
Well it'll be in another room, so no big deal there. There's enough other stuff on the rack making noise I doubt it would make a difference.

Forum Nav Content I Follow