Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

New Outland DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 01:56 PM

Stumbled upon this at Amazon http://www.amazon.co....5181565&sr=8-2

Looks like it is just a re-packaging. Would be great though to finally have a 16x9 version, even if it is just in standard DVD. The first release is beyond terrible, even by early DVD standards.
Government in action = Government inaction

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 03:48 PM

I guess we can always hope it's a barebones 16x9 remaster...

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Roy Batty

Roy Batty

Second Unit

• 290 posts

Posted November 15 2007 - 03:54 PM

What a great, overlooked film. It certainly deserves a new edition that does it justice.

I would buy a 2-disc full-fledged loaded collector's edition in a minute, but I don't know about just an anamorphic reissue.

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 12:21 AM

HDNet ran Outland in high definition and it looked and sounded very good. I recorded a copy and even though it is a very dark movie the recording came out really nice. If the title came out on SD dvd I would buy a copy without reservations.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 10:49 AM

The original DVD (and the LD master that came from) both sucked. I'll wait for the HD version before getting it again.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted November 16 2007 - 12:36 PM

OUTLAND needs a restoration probably. It would be a great HD / BD release.

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 16 2007 - 01:53 PM

The necessity of restoration would depend on the condition of film elements. I don't recall any complaints about elements used the previous transfer, so I don't see why restoration is necessary. Since an HD transfer exists, it's largely a question of downconverting for DVD.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted November 17 2007 - 02:11 AM

I believe OUTLAND was always 16:9-enhanced, just badly done. Enchancement doesn't guarantee a good transfer.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted November 17 2007 - 02:20 AM

Every catalog release doesn't need to be a monster.

Look at the recent single-disc reissues of Blade Runner & Poltergeist.

Very solid, pleasing transfers. Outland be should similarly released

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted November 17 2007 - 03:19 AM

The previous Outland disc was a port from the LD master, which wasn't great to begin with. This doesn't need any 10 disc release, just a properly done anamorphic transfer.

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted November 17 2007 - 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
I don't recall any complaints about elements used the previous transfer, so I don't see why restoration is necessary.

Your recollection is insufficient.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 17 2007 - 09:04 AM

How so? The movie is only 26 years old, and has been stored in Warner's vaults, not privately held by the producer (see any of John Wayne's Batjac Productions films, most of which required heroic measures to rescue and still may, like The Alamo) or the director (the restorations required for the Alfred Hitchcock films now distributed by Universal).

Just because a transfer is crap doesn't automatically mean the elements are. I could point you to numerous examples of modern films improperly transferred with oodles of edge enhancement and mosquito noise. Does this mean the elements are no good? Hardly. As others have pointed out, and unless you can show me evidence to the contrary (like screencaps), all Outland really needs is a properly done transfer.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 17 2007 - 09:23 AM

Wasn't Outland labled as anamorphic on the jacket, but actually on 4:3 letterbox on disc?

I've wanted to own this for years, but have been scarred off by the bad word of mouth. I was hoping that Warner would remaster it and release it as an HDM as they did Road Warrior earlier this year. I personally wouldn't need or expect it to be any kind of 'deluxe' edition either. The movie sorely needs a respectable representation on any home video format- that would be the draw of the release in and of itself.

And Stephen is absolutely right.
I don't know if it is just a case of a semantic misunderstanding, but too many people rail about films needing resotrations, when all they really need are re-masterings or new, proper transfers.
When you say resotration, you are talking about going back to the original film elements and trying to fix issues with them, rather than issues that are the result of their digital conversion for home consumption.
Thats a big difference.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted November 18 2007 - 07:18 AM

Fair enough--I'll concede that remastering will do the trick, alleviating the murkiness and filth throughout the presentation (hell, remastering will do the trick for anything; see NORTH BY NORTHWEST, which looks pristine on DVD but, allegedly, the actual film print is still in dreadful shape), but if the print used on the current DVD is the best at hand, then yes, a restoration is clearly in order.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   TravisD

TravisD

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted November 18 2007 - 07:21 AM

This and 2010 both need a redo IMHO.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted November 18 2007 - 11:39 AM

If a high def transfer already exists, I'm sure this will find its way out sooner or later.

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted November 18 2007 - 04:37 PM

The DVD is 4x3. I just checked. Truely terrible, even for its time. It's not even watchable on a portable DVD player. It's that bad. I think the VHS looked better.

Hopefully Warner Bros. will do something with this soon (I am still skeptical about this "new release"). An underrated classic to say the least. I would gladly settle for a SD release, but Blu-Ray would be great....
Government in action = Government inaction

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted November 18 2007 - 11:59 PM

Damnit. I learned of this release a few months ago after watching my VHS and doing some research. I was very excited. Now I'm not. Posted Image

I was wondering if a DVD will reveal too much about the limitations of the effects. The VHS went a long way in covering up "stuff" and keeping me immersed as when I first saw it. I'd certainly jump at the chance to see if the effects hold up to a clearer image.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted November 19 2007 - 03:21 PM

There already IS a remastered version available -- alas it's overseas.

The Region 2 (PAL) DVD has a dramatically better transfer than what we got here in Region 1. The 16:9 transfer is outstanding, as is the 5.1 audio.

It's been available for some time as well. I highly recommend it to anyone with a region free player (you can still find the disc cheap overseas).

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted November 20 2007 - 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
I believe OUTLAND was always 16:9-enhanced, just badly done. Enchancement doesn't guarantee a good transfer.

Sorry for the newb query, but I just watched this for the first time, picked it up for a few bucks. Though the package says it's anamorphic, the version I got (WS/P&S flipper) sure isn't. It even says it's "modified" before the movie plays...I don't know how it's modified exactly, unless they used a crapifier filter or something. Are all non-anamorphic like this version? The PQ is like OTA from a very far away station. I have seen a few worse DVD transfers of higher profile movies though.

Edit: Further investigation showed that only the very first part of the movie is non-anamorphic (??). I have my display set up to NOT adjust for this automatically (so I know what's up), and I manually zoomed it. Bummer...no wonder the tops of heads were cut off so often...next time.

Forum Nav Content I Follow