The Thing

Christine

Big Trouble in Little China

Prince of Darkness

They Live

In the Mouth of Madness

Escape from LA

Vampires

I plan to buy The Fog when it's released. I haven't seen Dark Star or Starman. I refuse to watch Memoirs of an Invisible Man or Village of the Damned.

Where does Ghosts of Mars fit in?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I can't believe you do not have The Thing on your list, Carpenters best.

Peace Out~
htf_images_smilies_biggrin.gif

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
All personal opinion, but it's at the bottom of the list for me, even when Escape from LA is on the list. Just unfocused and oddly paced. The performances weren't too bad however, and you may like the action set pieces.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you will like Ghosts of Mars as it's very much along the lines of Assault on Precinct 13 & Escape From New York...that is, a sci-fi flavored Western.
Why won't you watch Memoirs & Village???

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I thought that Village of the Damned was a lot of fun, though many don't seem to think so.
It's a pretty faithful update/remake of the 1960 classic and retains many of the enjoyable 'pulpy' sci-fi elements of the original.
It's nicely shot with lots of true widescreen compositions and it sounds great...some of the acting is a little weak, however.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Village and Memoirs are indeed weak however they are miles ahead of Ghost Of Mars which is in my eyes his worst film.
BTW, Starman is one of his very best. Try and see it ASAP.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Starman is his best! It's with Starman that you see he is a real director and capable of directing actors.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
If you are a fan of sci-fi you will probably enjoy Dark Star. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being low-budget fare and campy but had humor.

It's the only John Carpenter film that was filmed with the spherical lens (1.85:1 aspect ratio).

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I am greatly disappointed with John Carpenter. He helped write this movie and of course, directed it, but this movie is pure crap. And it's all his fault!
It's bad enough that the whole set actually looked like a little set, but the set itself was horrible. I mean, even the train running through the Martian landscape looked "model-ish." A quote comes to mind, "It's only a model."
And then there's the actors. Who picked them? They can't act, at least, not in this movie. Where is John Carpenter's direction? This being his latest work, it should be improved, but instead... horrible; pure trash.
But the worst part about this movie is the dialogue. [comic book guy's voice]Worst dialogue... ever![/comic book guy's voice]. And yes, I could write better dialogue for a movie. This movie should have been a television special, at best.
I just watched the DVD and can't really comment on it because I didn't watch any of the features. The only real comment I can make is that the DD 5.1 is lacking big time in low frequency.
I love Sci-Fi movies and I love Horror movies, but this was lame. My wife and I were making "Mystery Science Theater 3000" comments almost immediately. I didn't have high hopes, but at least hopes that it would be entertaining. I guess I take that back, it was entertaining in the sense that I could make fun of it and that was funny. But not entertaining in the way it was intended.
I will not look forward to seeing another John Carpenter movie. To me, In The Mouth Of Madness was his last great film.
Oh yes, John Carpenter did the music and it was neat "metal" music, but rather unfitting for a horror film on Mars. And was is with that anyway? I mean, why chose to make a film about ghosts possessing people on Mars?
I think John Carpenter may be able to pull off a Sci-Fi movie (heavy emphasis on maybe since this was his fault that Ghosts of Mars was soooo bad) or a Horror movie, but definately not a Sci-Fi/Horror movie akin to Aliens.
My final comment:
Thank god I can rent DVDs for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks